DevuanDog 'Beowulf' [DISCONTINUED]

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
backi

#41 Post by backi »

Hi keniv !
Think there is no need to update Palemoon to Version 28.3.1 (or so).
I just do not care for it any longer....cause my Machine (Intel) is not able to handle it .Just gives me Trouble .
Just keep 27.9.4 SSE..... and everything will be fine .

6502coder

#42 Post by 6502coder »

After seeing the audio problems with Firefox Quantum and the new dependence on Gtk3 in SeaMonkey cause multiple reports in different places in the forum, I thought it a post in the HOW TO section would be a good way to forestall similar redundant reports of this problem with Intel graphics and 28.x -- so I took the liberty of doing so. With luck, if anyone hears of a fix for the shortcuts editing, they'll post in my thread.

keniv

#43 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
I've tried the methods to improve v28.3.1 on intel machines outlined in 6502coders How-To below.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115266 .

This has made a further improvement as far as speed is concerned. However, I cannot install an add blocker. This is an essential for me. I have a couple of Raspberry Pis. Both use raspbian stretch. The browser is chrome. I have seen both .pets and .sfs for chrome on this forum. I know people don't like the google link but the version of chrome I use on the Raspberry Pi gives my a lot more control and a great deal less trouble than palemoon v28.3.1. Can I therefore suggest that chrome be considered as a possible contender as a browser for DevuanDog.

keniv

#44 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
Thanks to further help received on the thread in the link in my previous post I've now got uBlock installed on palemoon 28.3.1. This, together with the other improvements, makes palemoon a usable browser for me again.

Regards,

Ken.

musher0

#45 Post by musher0 »

Hello, Keniv and all.

In palemoon, there is a place where you can block the external images of the
"start.me" page -- or of any page, if your computer, like mine, has limited
resources and is not so strong. Otherwise, palemoon is a very good browser.

FYI. IHTH
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

fredx181

#46 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks all for the replies about Palemoon.

Not sure yet if it's suitable as the default browser to include in future Devuandog if it is required to do so much tweaking...

Fred

keniv

#47 Post by keniv »

@musher0
In palemoon, there is a place where you can block the external images of the
"start.me" page -- or of any page, if your computer, like mine, has limited
resources and is not so strong. Otherwise, palemoon is a very good browser.
I'm not that worried about the load the start.me page imposes on my machine as after the first tweak I was able to change my start up page to duckduckgo lite which is what I usually do, however, it would be useful to know how to do that.

@fredx181
Not sure yet if it's suitable as the default browser to include in future Devuandog if it is required to do so much tweaking...
Now the tweaking is done I don't find it that bad. I know very little about how the dogs are built but am I right in thinking that the tweaks in palemoon, as well as a lighter start up page, could be done before it was made part of devuandog. If this is the case perhaps it puts palemoon back in contention.

I do find it a bit odd that installing uBlock origin was such a faff but uBlock origin updater installs normally. I'd also be interested to know if anybody has installed the updater and whether it works.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Broadcom WiFi

Depending on your adapter, the in-kernel driver may be good enough. Otherwise, you need Broadcom's wl driver. Devuan/Debian makes this easy.

Code: Select all

apt-get update #if needed
apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) broadcom-sta-dkms
reboot

fredx181

#49 Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote: @fredx181
Now the tweaking is done I don't find it that bad. I know very little about how the dogs are built but am I right in thinking that the tweaks in palemoon, as well as a lighter start up page, could be done before it was made part of devuandog. If this is the case perhaps it puts palemoon back in contention.
Hi Ken, yes, probably should be possible to include some modifications for Palemoon in ISO (e.g. from about:config and changed start page).
Only the including of the intel.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, I'm not sure about (may be risk that on a system with other than intel driver that X won't start, (I've had that problem once).
I'll think about it further, thanks again.

@rcrsn51, thanks for info.

Fred

keniv

#50 Post by keniv »

Hello Fred,
I've just read norgos post and radkys which follows it here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6&start=15 (second post from bottom of the page).

I'm not sure I understand the details but could it solve this problem?
Only the including of the intel.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, I'm not sure about (may be risk that on a system with other than intel driver that X won't start, (I've had that problem once).
Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

I finally got to see this Palemoon 28 problem in action on a machine with old Intel graphics, specifically that the Tools > Preferences window locks up.

Switching to "uxa" definitely solves the problem, but I wouldn't want to make it the default for all Intel graphics.

One possibility would be to build the ISO with 20-intel.conf.xxx in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Then people who need uxa could just rename the file.

dancytron

#52 Post by dancytron »

Not sure if this is an issue, but I went to run an upgrade in Synaptic and it refused to upgrade 4 of the files. See the attached.

If I try to do it manually with "apt-get upgrade" I get this.

root@live:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 policykit-1
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
root@live:~# 
Attachments
devuanUpgrade.jpg
(54.2 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

fredx181

#53 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Not sure if this is an issue, but I went to run an upgrade in Synaptic and it refused to upgrade 4 of the files. See the attached.

If I try to do it manually with "apt-get upgrade" I get this.

root@live:~# apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree       
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 policykit-1
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
root@live:~# 
Thanks, yes it's an issue (although temporarily). These can be upgraded by selecting all 4 and right-click "upgrade" in synaptic.
I guess this problem appeared somehow because of package policykit-1 is from custom repository, once it's done upgrading to official Devuan policykit-1, I expect that all will be fine from then on.

Fred

backi

#54 Post by backi »

Hi Fred .....Hi Everyone !

Today did an Upgrade ......after loading all new upgradable Packages with Synaptic ......been ask to install or (just) download ......Synaptic indicated to remove Synaptic itself....... which gave me some surprise .....but i did hit the button to install .
Installed .....then did Quick-Remaster ........
Not so much to my Surprise .......Synaptic is gone now .......(which is not a big Problem cause have Backups ) .

What the Hell is going on here ?

backi

#55 Post by backi »

Hi !
Had manually reinstalled Synaptic with:
apt-get update
apt-get install synaptic

Now Synaptic is back .

This was Terminal Output when i did install Synaptic manually .

live:~# apt-get install synaptic
Building dependency tree
The following additional packages will be installed:
libept1.5.0 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0
libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0
libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0 libvte-2.91-0 libvte-2.91-common libxapian30
policykit-1
Suggested packages:
xapian-tools dwww deborphan apt-xapian-index tasksel software-properties-gtk
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libept1.5.0 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0
libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0
libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0 libvte-2.91-0 libvte-2.91-common libxapian30
policykit-1 synaptic
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 5,064 kB of archives.
After this operation, 16.1 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

So i did.......now Synaptic is back .

fredx181

#56 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, thanks for the report, it's similar problem as dancytron mentioned.
Not sure what exactly, but probably has to do with a mistake I made in custom policykit-1 package from the 'Dog' repository.
Now that you have upgraded policykit (+ dependencies) (to official Devuan packages) and re-installed Synaptic, I expect no such problems anymore.
Will be fixed in next ISO.

Best Regards,
Fred

keniv

#57 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
When I installed iso2 I did not use synaptic to update but instead used

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
I did not notice the updating problem though I guess it was there. I just updated using synaptic and went through the same process backi described.
After the manual reinstall of synaptic all seems OK. Next update I do I will use synaptic just to confirm all is OK.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#58 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried DevuanDog on a cloudbook with an emmc drive. It got past the "searching for beowulf-i486.sgn" stage, then crashed with a red "Something went wrong" message.

It may have been at the step where it tried to mount the "changes" location.

backi

#59 Post by backi »

Hi rcrsn51 !

Had a (maybe ) similar Problem when try to use on external SSD (Solid-State-Drive ) connected via Adapter to Usb Port .
I installed different Distros (UpupBionic----Bionic Dog---Stretch Dog----DevuanDog "beowolf" Alpha ) to this SSD .All work and boot fine .
The "Dogs" booted fine in "Porteus " Mode .Except one .

The only Troublemaker was Xenial Dog which i could get not get to boot in Porteus Mode with "changes" Folder .No " changes" Folder could be mounted .
When booting Xenial Dog in "Always fresh" Mode it boots and starts ......but with "changes" Folder .....no Luck.
O.K. i am just a lazy guy ....but give you the Message which appeared when booting Xenial Dog in Porteus Mode (asked to Save on Demand/or on shutdown):

starting init script
loading Kernel modules
searching for xenial-i486.sgn file
from=cheatcode is incorrect,press enter to search through all devices.

Porteus data not found
you are maybe using an unsupported boot device (e.g. SCSI or old PCMCIA)
Workaround:copy the directory /caspermfrom your boot device to an IDE/SATA disk,
e.g. to mnt/sda1/porteus or C:\ then try to boot again

Dont have an Answer ,just report what happened to me .

EDIT:
(can not remember exactly could be that my Memory does not serve me well):
I replaced the build in HardDrive of my Notebook (for experimental Purposes only) with this SSD (formerly connected via Adapter to Usb Port , which did not work with Xenial Dog ) .....as far as i remember Xenial Dog with "changes" Folder did boot correctly when this SSD was used internally .
Last edited by backi on Wed 13 Feb 2019, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#60 Post by rcrsn51 »

Because you were originally booting from a USB device using Porteus, this was probably a situation where you needed an "alternate" initrd1.xz file.

This is discussed in the Starter Kit thread.