Intel 9260 Wi-Fi setup

RimsOnAToaster

#21 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

Semme wrote:The latter.

If your card was available, lspci would've listed it as a "Network" controller.
Thank you for that! I've been through the UEFI of this board a few times now, and I'll check again to see if I missed it, but I can't recall an M.2 setting anywhere. I'm posting the manual here in the event that somebody brighter than me can help parse out my next move.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Man ... 05-ITX.pdf

RimsOnAToaster

#22 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

Terry H wrote:
ozsouth wrote:Modern intel wireless need kernel 4.10 or later. Also need to see which ucode is being sought by system.
To help with diagnosis, please post outputs of each of the following commands (in a terminal):

uname -r

and

dmseg | grep wifi
Intel 9260 is not identified until 4.14.x kernel.
Apparently, I can't count. If I need kernel 4.14.x, and I'm at 4.9.58, then my move would be to update the kernel somehow? or would it be using a newer puppy like UPupCC?

Terry H

#23 Post by Terry H »

RimsOnAToaster wrote:
ozsouth wrote:uname -r

4.9.58 is returned; I think I'm in the clear kernel-wise.
dmseg | grep wifi

You're not in the clear, you need a kernel that is 4.14.x or newer. As in my prior post the Intel 9260 WiFi card isn't identified until the 4.14 kernel newer.

You didn't type the command as ozsouth wrote, you left out the '|' (pipe). Copy and paste from above quoted text.

oldprinter

#24 Post by oldprinter »

I went thru this a few months ago when I upgraded to a new HP laptop, pure intel.
My old Xenialpup64 which ran beautiflly on the old latop, could not see the wifi, after trying all the advice (almost all of over my abilities), I got a copy of Bionicpup64 (7.9.7). It fired up with everything I needed, It has the 4.19.4 kernel.
Tom

RimsOnAToaster

#25 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

oldprinter wrote:I went thru this a few months ago when I upgraded to a new HP laptop, pure intel.
My old Xenialpup64 which ran beautiflly on the old latop, could not see the wifi, after trying all the advice (almost all of over my abilities), I got a copy of Bionicpup64 (7.9.7). It fired up with everything I needed, It has the 4.19.4 kernel.
Tom
TOM! You're the man! Thank you for that! Can you hold on for a moment while I try that? I just booted UPupCC and got the same issue, but maybe bionicpup is the move I need to make.

How new was that laptop? Were you able to boot with Legacy BIOS and a live USB or did you need a special UEFI-supporting build of BionicPup64?

ozsouth

#26 Post by ozsouth »

Bionicpup is goodbut you may still need the firmware although version 38 is included for intel 9260. I have made a 4.14.39 kernel for Xenialpup64 if you really like that puppy. You would need also an fdrv for firmware. See (all my posts on page):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 34#1010234
Last edited by ozsouth on Sat 26 Jan 2019, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

RimsOnAToaster

#27 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

ozsouth wrote:Bionicpup is good. I made a 4.14.39 kernel for Xenialpup64 if you like that pup. Will need also an fdrv for firmware. See (all my posts on page):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 34#1010234
Hey Ozsouth, that's awesome work there! I personally don't have any preferences for one puppy over another yet, but anything that will make this box of wires and fans run will probably become my go-to. I'm currently struggling to find a UEFI-compatible version of BionicPup. Could the UEFI build of Xenialpup64 I found first be used with your kernel with just a liveUSB?
Also, what's an fdrv?

I'm a Barramundi Farmer in the states - I may need some more handholding than most. :lol:

ozsouth

#28 Post by ozsouth »

Short answer yes. fdrv contains just firmware. Earlier, all pups had firmware in their zdrv, but many kernel producers are now separating those. We can also have adrv which we use for browsers & ydrv which we use for miscellaneous items. Many years ago, everthing was in the puppy drive, meaning the slightest update meant repackaging the lot. Example:

Xenialpup64 7.5 has the following .sfs files:
puppy_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs & zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs

Mine has a smaller zdrv & firmware files in an fdrv. (named to fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs)
All .sfs go in the usb boot partition & are automatically loaded in succession then merged to boot puppy.

RimsOnAToaster

#29 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

@ozsouth - Thank you for the detailed reply! I've just picked up the kernel and loaded it into the xenialpup 7.5 live USB. I can't seem to get a hold of the fdrv you liked to here: http://www.filepup.net/files/00d2c64e1548468555.html - I keep timing out. Do you have any suggestions?

ozsouth

#30 Post by ozsouth »

Just tried it myself - no good (sorry for the disgusting ads - didn't know they were doing that). Try this link:
http://ge.tt/4Pm7XAu2 May need to scroll down.

oldprinter

#31 Post by oldprinter »

My lappie is a HP 15234wm, Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver N5000 CPU @ 1.10GHz Max Speed: 1100 MHz Current Speed of Core 0:1101 MHz, 1:800 MHz, 2:800 MHz, 3:800 MHz Core Count: 4 Thread Count: 4
Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq (I had to do the 'intel-pstate=disable' trick to get control of the processors)
l1tf:Not affected
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Enhanced IBRS, IBPB

Oh, I had to play with the Win 10 that came on it, Secure boot off and disable Fast start, Fortunately it had a decent BIOS, so I had no problem there setting usb as first option, CD/DVD as second option on boot (unlike a few years ago with my old Toshiba laptop where I had to update Bios version to be able to boot from usb).
The Bionicpup64 7.9.7 is uefi bootable, so no problems there.
I did the normal update PPM, used the Quick Pet to get the 32bit compatibilty, devx, and wine.
I've got Firefox 64.0.2 , Avidemux, Scribus, and Java running from portables or .sfs, loaded Open Office from .debs, Adobe Photoshop 5 and QuarkXpress 5 running under wine, as well as a couple of games (Eschalon 1, 2 & 3) and the old from Win XP, Solitaire and a few others.

While this works for me and my machine, it may or may not work for you. The gurus here KNOW these machines and how they work much better than me. I made my living sitting in front of a Mac doing pre-press work (even back before pdfs came along). I know what works for me, and not much else.
Tom

RimsOnAToaster

#32 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

weird issue - I now no longer have any interfaces loaded. I got your kernel and fdvr booted up, but now nothing is loading.

ozsouth

#33 Post by ozsouth »

ok - the one 9260 ucode in that fdrv ( -38 ) may not be the right one. Need to run: dmesg | grep wifi
to see what is being requested. I nearly included ucodes -34 & -43 in the fdrv - one of those will probably be needed in /lib/firmware. Firmware can be found at
http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS ... 0-34.ucode
or http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS ... 0-43.ucode

RimsOnAToaster

#34 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

Running dmesg | grep wifi returned nothing. Is there a certain directory I need to run it in?

ozsouth

#35 Post by ozsouth »

Hmmm. Are you sure you copied all the new files correctly over the old ones on usb stick?

Renewed files should be vmlinuz, zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs, fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs

Also check in /lib/firmware to see if 9260 ucode is there, & run uname -r to check kernel version.

RimsOnAToaster

#36 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

ozsouth wrote:Hmmm. Are you sure you copied all the new files correctly over the old ones on usb stick?

Renewed files should be vmlinuz, zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs, fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs

Also check in /lib/firmware to see if 9260 ucode is there, & run uname -r to check kernel version.
Not sure I did it correctly at all! So to be certain, I replaced the original vmlinuz with vmlinuz-4.14.39-u64oz and renamed it 'vmlinuz' for good measure, but I only copy-pasted 'fdrv.sfs' and 'kernel-modules.sfs-4.14.39-u64oz' onto the USB. Nothing about zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs changed, as far as I know.

the 9260 ucodes - 34 and 43 - are both present.

Kernel version is 4.14.39-u64oz.

ozsouth

#37 Post by ozsouth »

Aha - you need to delete zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs from your usb stick - it is the old kernel. THEN rename kernel-modules.sfs-4.14.39-u64oz as zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs, and rename fdrv.sfs as fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs on usb stick. Then reboot & it should work, assuming ucode -38 is the right one.

RimsOnAToaster

#38 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

@Ozsouth - Somehow, I borked the rename process and now I have no desktop interface. Admittedly, this is ultimately my goal for this device, but right now i'm not quite prepared to run without a GUI. What file must I have messed up?

ozsouth

#39 Post by ozsouth »

Wow. Vital files are vmlinuz & initrd.gz,
puppy_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs , zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs & fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs . Check for typos.

bigpup

#40 Post by bigpup »

I'm currently struggling to find a UEFI-compatible version of BionicPup.
Bionicpup64 7.9.8 will work.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/te ... -7.9.8.iso

Just have secure boot disabled and or legacy boot enabled in the computers UEFI bios setup.
Boots OK on one of my computers with legacy boot enabled.
Another computer only has secure boot option, so disable secure boot works.

When you get WIFI working.
On the desktop is Quickpet icon.
Run Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup Updates to get the latest bug fixes installed.

Bionicpup64 is still being developed for final release, but it is very usable at this point. It is in final bug hunting condition with V7.9.8.
Unless it gets a big version change.
Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup Updates should keep it updated with any new improvements/fixes.
Here is the Bionicpup64 topic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311

We the users help finding bugs and fixes when a Puppy version is being developed.
So, if you start using it. Report any problems you may find.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)