Adding Systemd to Xenialpup gives error

Please post any bugs you have found
abcd567

Adding Systemd to Xenialpup gives error

#1 Post by abcd567 »

Adding Systemd to Xenialpup gives error.
Edit: Additional info: Distro is "Xenialpup 7.5 (32bit)". 

(1) Installed package systemd_229 by PPM

(2) Edited file "/mnt/home/syslinux.cfg",
and just below line
linux vmlinuz
Added a line
append init=/lib/systemd/systemd

(3) Rebooted.

(4) After reboot, tried command systemctl, got error message.

What have I done wrong?
Last edited by abcd567 on Fri 25 Jan 2019, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

What have I done wrong?
Added systemd.

What are you trying to achieve?

abcd567

#3 Post by abcd567 »

p310don wrote:
What have I done wrong?
Added systemd.
Why it is wrong to add systemd to Xenialpup?
All Debian/Ubuntu based systems use systemd.
The Ubuntu Xenial also uses systemd and the Xenialpup uses its kernel.

p310don wrote:What are you trying to achieve?
I have installed a software which requires systemd for its operation.

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

The forum has a topic about systemd.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93586

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

What is the program?

Xenialpup is not Ubuntu based on how it works.
Xenialpup is coded to use something other than systemd.

Xenialpup was made using core Linux files/programs from Ubuntu-xenial repositories, but in no way does it work the same as Ubuntu!
Xenialpup is made very much to work the Puppy Linux way.

Using the same Linux kernel version has nothing to do with how it works.
The kernel can be configured any way you want it to work.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

abcd567

#6 Post by abcd567 »

bigpup wrote:Xenialpup was made using core Linux files/programs from Ubuntu-xenial repositories, but in no way does it work the same as Ubuntu!
Xenialpup is made very much to work the Puppy Linux way.
Understood. Thanks bigpup for explaining.

As I understand, Puppy Linux is highly customizable to individual user's needs/preferences.
I want to customize it to use systemd.
Is there a way to do it?

bigpup wrote:What is the program?
(1) dump1090-fa
(2) piaware.
I have to build these from source-code available here:
http://github.com/flightaware/

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ abcd567:-

Dump Puppy, run Ubuntu or Debian instead. Problem solved.

Puppy users don't want systemd. Systemd is a complete, total, all-encompassing pain in the ass.....which tries to take complete, total control of your system, and run it the way it thinks fit. Not only that, it hooks into almost every part of the system. It's not easy to 'install' it in, say, the same way as you would install most packages.....with a single-click. It needs to hook into most of the 'core' parts of Puppy, which are contained within the main Puppy 'read-only' SFS file.

That's going to entail re-mastering, too.

By the time you've added all the systemd stuff into Xenialpup, you're going to pretty much end up with Ubuntu Xenial Xerus. You might just as well save yourself the aggravation, and run Ubuntu from the word go. Be a hell of a lot easier, methinks.....

(And before you tell me I'm being condescending, no.....I'm not. I'm telling it like it is, and trying to save you a lot of fruitless work into the bargain.)

No reason at all why you shouldn't run Puppy & Ubuntu alongside each other. Many of us run multiple Oss; it's simply a case of using the best tool for the job. Makes more sense.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 25 Jan 2019, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.

6502coder

#8 Post by 6502coder »

As I understand, Puppy Linux is highly customizable to individual user's needs/preferences.
I want to customize it to use systemd.
Is there a way to do it?
There are limits to "customizable." A Humvee is a highly customizable vehicle. That doesn't mean you can easily make it fly. Mike is right: you're barking up the wrong tree.

mostly_lurking

#9 Post by mostly_lurking »

If you absolutely must have systemd, there are some Puppy derivatives that seem to have it, like BionicDog. (At least the first post of that thread mentions that "systemd is enabled by default".) I have never used that one, or any of the other "Dogs", so I don't know what the differences are between those and the "true" Puppies. As far as I understand it, those are Debian/Ubuntu systems that have been modified to work in a similar way as Puppy.

ITSMERSH

#10 Post by ITSMERSH »

I'm using BionicDog on a single machine, since it is able to recognize my Phonic Helix Board 24 MKII Mixer to record multiple audio tracks simultaneously using Ardour 5. It's also installed on my home machine, but rarely used there (just for development of .squashfs modules and modifications)

Yes, it boots by default using systemd (there's a boot message about it).

I run this also on a Samsung N150 Netbook and it is pretty less resource hungry.

All additional programs are stored into .squashfs modules, which is fifteen different modules at 1374M (Audio, Graphics, Video Software etc.pp.).

Booting with save on exit only...

Love it! :lol:

abcd567

#11 Post by abcd567 »

Thanks everyone for responding and giving advice.

Ok, will try BionicDog.

rufwoof

#12 Post by rufwoof »

A good way IMO is to install Debian as normal to disk, and then install the live-boot elements, setting the save choice to save partition. That way you can boot as a normal Debian, or using the live-boot, and set it so that it optionally saves, or not. Easy to set up when you know how, but as-ever awkward/difficult when you don't know how. But once set up you get the best of both worlds. Fundamentally you have to set the partition label to 'persistence' (so the live-boot system knows its the save area), create a special flag file (that indicates to the live-boot that its a union mount save area), and a live folder (that holds the main sfs).

Think of it as Puppy basically has a read only main sfs that contains everything, and records changes to a save folder/file. With the above its as though the main sfs is empty, and everything is already recorded in the save folder (partition).

You can use just pure Debian to do all of that, however if you use something like StretchDog then you get all of the added Puppy like packages/scripts/programs that the likes of Fred and co. have added. IIRC its called something like live-boot 3

I used to run it that way and it worked very well as you can boot as standard Debian and apply updates, and then live-boot without saving (store data that you might change outside of the system areas i.e. on another partition).

Many have intense dislike of systemD, however it does pull things together more and works (very) well.

As a starter, have a read through http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 457#774457 ... historical but a reasonable basis. And then look to perhaps install BionicDog using that sort of live-boot3 approach. Be aware however that that voids the Debian warranty (any help requests from Debian will tend to be thrown back at you for not running pure Debian), as is security. I dumped it for security reasons (3000+ security holes found in the version I had installed, 1700+ when I tested just pure Debian, so I shifted over to using OpenBSD (and use EasyOS as my linux alternative boot choice)).
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

abcd567

#13 Post by abcd567 »

mostly_lurking wrote:If you absolutely must have systemd, there are some Puppy derivatives that seem to have it, like BionicDog.
Thanks "mostly_lurking".

Yes, you are right. The BionicDog has systemd, apt, dpkg etc, and I successfully built and install .deb packages from source-code of Flightaware's dump1090-fa and Piaware.

I have posted in Flightaware forums, the detailed step-by-step procedure to
(1) Install BionicDog on a USB flash stick (Pendrive).
(2) Build & install dump1090-fa .deb package
(3) Build and install Piaware .deb package.

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/a ... /43712/232

fredx181

#14 Post by fredx181 »

Hi abcd567, good to hear that it worked out well for you on BionicDog.
And, great how-to you wrote in the Flightaware forum Image

Fred

mistfire

#15 Post by mistfire »

I made an experiment using TazPuppy I successfully run systemd on puppy. However It has no sound and I can't reboot or shutdown. My approach was create a service which runs the /etc/rc.d/sysinit but starting udevd was disabled. Also you need to modify the getty service file.