Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
radky

#461 Post by radky »

Terry H wrote:
RAM usage when using kernel 4.1.48 was considerably higher than when using kernel 4.9.149
Hi Terry,

I have not noticed a significant difference in my tests. Thanks for the information. :)

---

don570 wrote:
1) I am using a frugal installation. I put pupsave=none in menu.lst but it still loaded the save file. I don't know the way to boot without a save file.
pfix=ram

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParametersPuppy
2) the wacom driver for my bamboo tablet automatically loads when booted. I could get mtpaint to detect the tablet's devices by making changes to xorg.conf but couldn't adjust the pressure.
I have no experience with wacom tablets. Maybe other users such as charlie6 could offer advice.
3) I request a 'Search with pFind' right click for /mnt drive files. That allows a quick search of a drive.
I will add to the next release.
4) Happy to see you upgraded pupmd5sum!
You are welcome! :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

don570

#462 Post by don570 »

Maybe other users such as charlie6 could offer advice.

Yes he seems to know more than me. :oops:

I think there is a udev file configuration method. BarryK seems to use that.
The table will work automatically out of box.
By the way if you are buying a wacom tablet you should get the smallest and cheapest.

ptmtimer alarm timer should work properly i.e. shutting off of mp3 alarm song
if mpg123 or mpg321 is installed
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8cbeefb5b1

radky

#463 Post by radky »

don570 wrote:I think there is a udev file configuration method (for wacom tablets). BarryK seems to use that
/lib/udev/rules.d/69-wacom.rules
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Terry H

#464 Post by Terry H »

Have now done a frugal install to SSD on my HP Desktop. This has Intel 7260 Wifi card, connected OOTB. I'm running at present using included FbBox WM. All running very well.

Once again, thanks radky, this is a great addition to the Puppy kennel.

Code: Select all

# inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: puppypc20124 Kernel: 4.9.149-stretch i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 
           Distro: Puppy 7.5 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: h8-1214 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: 2AC8 v: 1.2 serial: N/A UEFI: AMI v: Ang_717 date: 04/13/2012 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: AMD FX-6100 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer rev: 2 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 39502 
           Speed: 1400 MHz min/max: 1400/3300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1400 2: 1400 3: 1400 4: 1400 5: 1400 6: 1400 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos PRO [Radeon HD 7450] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: radeon 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.9.149-stretch LLVM 3.9.1) v: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:14.2 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.149-stretch 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 06:00.0 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 
           v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus ID: 07:00.0 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: tunl0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.71 TiB used: 12.28 GiB (0.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Intel model: SSDSC2CW12 size: 111.79 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Hitachi model: HDS72301 size: 1.36 TiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Crucial model: CT256MX1 size: 238.47 GiB 
RAID:      Hardware-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [RAID5 mode] driver: ahci v: 3.0 
           bus ID: 00:11.0 
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 10.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: 30.0 C gpu: radeon temp: 48 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 fan-2: 914 fan-3: 927 
           Voltages: 12v: N/A 5v: N/A 3.3v: N/A vbat: 2.93 
Info:      Processes: 209 Uptime: 1h 21m Memory: 7.72 GiB used: 177.0 MiB (2.2%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 35 Compilers: 
           gcc: N/A Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.30 
With single tab in Palemoon open on this forum, system isusing 286 MiB

mikeslr

#465 Post by mikeslr »

don570 wrote: 3) I request a 'Search with pFind' right click for /mnt drive files. That allows a quick search of a drive.
That would be a nice feature. Currently, [at least under Xenialpup64 where I tested] you can file-browse to /mnt, select a partition, right-click and customize the menu to add pfind. [drag its desktop file into the window which opens]. After a restart-x, pfind will open offering to search 'the current folder' of any mounted partition selected in /mnt* EXCEPT the Home partition, as to which it just doesn't respond at all.

* but not by right-clicking the desktop icon of such partition.

6502coder

Palemoon Preferences problem

#466 Post by 6502coder »

I have been using the 4.1 kernel version of RC3 on an 8 GB flash drive. I wanted to try the RC4 version so I repartitioned and reformatted the flash drive and then did a fresh install of RC4.

Good news: the problem I previously reported with Rox getting confused when I switched flash drives has not turned up in RC4.

Not so good news: when I go to Tool->Preferences in the bundled Palemoon 28.2.2, I have problems when I try to edit settings (the dialogue doesn't update) or switch tabs (nothing seems to happen). If I exit out of Preferences and re-open it, I find that the settings change or tab switch has taken place, so this isn't fatal, but it certainly is annoying.

The other menus and dialogues in Palemoon work fine; it only affects Tools->Preferences.

I don't remember having this problem in RC3, and it does not occur in PM 28.2.2 on my TahrPup 606 or Slacko 571CE Puppies.

FWIW of my 1GB of RAM, there's about 300MB free (according to "top") after the desktop comes up, and firing up Palemoon reduces the free memory to 150MB. There's 1.6GB of swap on the hard drive.

Also FWIW all this is happening on an isolated laptop without any kind of network connection.

Aside from the PM problem, RC4 is running fine for me.

watchdog

Re: Palemoon Preferences problem

#467 Post by watchdog »

6502coder wrote: Not so good news: when I go to Tool->Preferences in the bundled Palemoon 28.2.2, I have problems when I try to edit settings (the dialogue doesn't update) or switch tabs (nothing seems to happen). If I exit out of Preferences and re-open it, I find that the settings change or tab switch has taken place, so this isn't fatal, but it certainly is annoying.

The other menus and dialogues in Palemoon work fine; it only affects Tools->Preferences.
I saved a post by 666philb:
the new palemoon seems to have issues with some intel drivers and you can't select items in palemoons preferences. a fix is type about:config into the address bar and set browser.preferences.animateFadeIn to true

radky

#468 Post by radky »

6502coder wrote:
I have been using the 4.1 kernel version of RC3... and then did a fresh install of RC4.

When I go to Tool->Preferences in the bundled Palemoon 28.2.2, I have problems when I try to edit settings (the dialogue doesn't update) or switch tabs (nothing seems to happen). If I exit out of Preferences and re-open it, I find that the settings change or tab switch has taken place, so this isn't fatal, but it certainly is annoying.

The other menus and dialogues in Palemoon work fine; it only affects Tools->Preferences
Hi 6502coder,

As 666philb and watchdog noted, the problem you describe with Tools->Preferences in Pale Moon may be specific to variants of the intel video driver. There are several internet discussions about this issue, including the following thread on the Pale Moon forum:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 26#p148526

If your problem in the 4.1 kernel version of RC4 is not resolved by typing about:config in the Pale Moon address bar and setting 'browser.preferences.animateFadeIn' to true, then maybe you could boot and test the 4.9 kernel version of RC4.

Thanks

6502coder

#469 Post by 6502coder »

Thanks guys, color me embarrassed! I should have been aware of 666philb's post. That fix does indeed work for me.

What threw me (and still does) is that the same version of Palemoon running on TahrPup606 and Slacko571CE on the same laptop doesn't have this problem; they are perfectly happy with the "browser.preferences.animateFadeIn" parameter left at the default value of "false". Oh well, whatever works...
Edit: never mind...different kernels, different drivers--DUH! Sheesh--color me senile as well.

@radky
BTW when I first tested RC3, I did try the 4.9 kernel version. It was noticeably slower on my ancient laptop than the 4.1 kernel, as I suspected would be the case given the similar experiences of mikeslr and musher0 (and others) with recent Upups.

foxpup

short report

#470 Post by foxpup »

Trying out this Dpup RC4 for some days now and enjoying it a lot. Great Puppy!
Thank you radky!!
I only had a few remarks on RC3, they are all resolved.
And I find RC4 very feature rich.

One little thing: that the default setup for hexchat should be for #puppylinux with a better nick then 'root'.

I just had a sudden shutdown, neatly and in time, but not announced, because my battery was low.

If I may make a suggestion, it would be to include Back Seat Driver 3.

Moat

Re: short report

#471 Post by Moat »

foxpup wrote:Great Puppy!
Agreed! Spent the other evening just playing with the stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.9.149.iso (Fluxbox side), and everything ran smooth as buttah'. A great Pup, indeed. Thanks, Radky!

Bob

foxpup

xvkbd

#472 Post by foxpup »

xvkbd is acting strange when I try to resize its window. Rows and columns are not increased/decreased equally and may disapear over the edge and come back.

When opening xvkbd in terminal it shows this warnings:
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Actions not found: ReadKeymap

radky

#473 Post by radky »

foxpup wrote:
One little thing: that the default setup for hexchat should be for #puppylinux with a better nick then 'root'.
In the next release, I can add the default option for #puppylinux on irc.freenode.net.

I don't use hexchat, but I assume each user will replace the initial default 'root' Nick name with a personalized name before connecting to #puppylinux, but I could be wrong?
I just had a sudden shutdown, neatly and in time, but not announced, because my battery was low.
The next release will include an updated powerapplet_tray battery monitor which provides audible and popup alerts when the battery charge is low.
If I may make a suggestion, it would be to include Back Seat Driver 3.
I'll take a look.

Thanks for your comments foxpup! :)

radky

#474 Post by radky »

Moat wrote:Spent the other evening just playing with the stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.9.149.iso, and everything ran smooth as buttah.

Thanks, Radky!
You are welcome Moat. Thanks for testing! :)

radky

Re: xvkbd

#475 Post by radky »

foxpup wrote:xvkbd is acting strange when I try to resize its window. Rows and columns are not increased/decreased equally and may disapear over the edge and come back.

When opening xvkbd in terminal it shows this warnings:
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Actions not found: ReadKeymap
Hi foxpup,

In Dpup Stretch, xvkbd is lauched by a wrapper script (/usr/bin/xvkbd-wrapper2) which sets the GUI size and location, and determines the current locale before displaying the virtual keyboard. Launched this way, you should not see the missing charsets message.

As you noted, the GUI of xvkbd-3.9 does not respond well to manual resizing in Dpup.

In the next release, unless there is an obvious solution for the display issues in 3.9, I'll revert to xvkbd-3.7 which works fine without errors.

backi

#476 Post by backi »

Hi Radky !

Applause :lol: Applause :lol: Aplause :lol: ! :D :D :D :D

A while ago i installed Dpup Stretch onto an Usb Stick..... but completely forgot about it ....rediscovered it 2 Days ago ......
I have to say .....excellent Distro .

Now install the brandnew 7.5 CE (RC-4) Candidate to this Stick .

One Thing i changed ......removed new Pale Moon ,cause it does not work well on my old Clunker (Toshiba Satellite single Core 1 Gig Ram ) ,replaced it with older Version 27.9.4 .This does work better .

Superb Distro!

darry19662018

#477 Post by darry19662018 »

Congrats Radky look forward to this one.:-)

T-Biscuit

Works great on Asus 900a netbook

#478 Post by T-Biscuit »

backi wrote:One Thing i changed ......removed new Pale Moon ,cause it does not work well on my old Clunker (Toshiba Satellite single Core 1 Gig Ram ) ,replaced it with older Version 27.9.4 .This does work better .

Superb Distro!
Ditto well desered kudos.Dpup Stretch 7.5 RC4 gave new life to this old Asus 900a netbook. Firefox working faster for me than Palemoon.

backi

#479 Post by backi »

Hi Radky !

Just playing a bit with your Brainchild !
Incredibly fast .......and light as a Feather .

hey man... super cool..... :D :D :D

Easy like Sunday Morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzDTfIb0DU

radky

#480 Post by radky »

@backi, darry19662018, T-Biscuit

Thanks for testing RC4. Your kind comments are much appreciated! :)

The next release (RC5) will have additional enhancements and adjustments.