XML Editor? [closed]

Using applications, configuring, problems
scsijon

XML Editor? [closed]

#1 Post by scsijon »

Has anyone got a good SIMPLE XML Editor out there today?

The one I had has dissapeared from the web, and so has the source code from my system and memory.

It needs to be (preferably) self contained, and useable by 15+yr old Students.

thanks
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 24 Jan 2019, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Maybe this will help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_XML_editors.

The post which lead me to the above recommended "Sublime Text" noting it didn't appear on the list.

By the way, what Puppy?

scsijon

#3 Post by scsijon »

@mikesir
Thank you for that, it reminded me that it was an extension for geany that had it, and that is still available as part of the geany-plugins extension package.

As far as the puppy version, it was something I and my then (2013) students did with woof2. I named it 'puppy opensuse' a week or so ago when it surfaced again while cleaning up and archiving some 40gig ide drives content I had just uncovered. I want to play with it further and we may use it in 2019 as a midyear holiday class coding/scripting project. Opensuse keep their rpm package databases in xml, i've sucessfully converted them before, but only the x86 built to any sucess as woof2 was not x86-64 then. I want to look at the changes opensuse have done since to see if it's practical to do a POC (proof-of-concept) with the quirky part of woofE (quirky/easy). I do have a opensuse2ppm translator that sort of works on 15.0, but whether it works completely I don't know until I look inside the source xml rpm's.

Whether it goes past the students learning to read code and coding themselves is actuallty irelevant at this point, sorry. I may just ask someone if they want to take it over at that point. Another problem is opensuse have 20 pacman and a 'few' other repositories inter-working in parallel across the program groups (per version) so ppm 'may need' extending or reworking/modernizing above the five default visable or and a total rework may be necessary if it got past the POC stage to make it usefull. A rough count would need to be about 32 to cover all groups necessary (including our puppy's).

scsijon

#5 Post by scsijon »

thanks to all, I have added the pretty-printer xml module to

Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents.

It's one file though and for version 1.2.7 geany, others can be built to match yours if it's not suitable from the geany-plugins website.