Missing xslacko_4.4.sfs in the boot configuration

Using applications, configuring, problems
kuman11

Missing xslacko_4.4.sfs in the boot configuration

#1 Post by kuman11 »

It takes me to a blue screen w 3 options - save, go to prompt, reboot. I've made a mistake, to put the .iso file in a folder while the others were not. I was trying to install an update to it. Then I moved it back along with vmlinuz & initrd in the root dir.

kuman11

#2 Post by kuman11 »

It's still unable to boot into xslacko ...

perdido

#3 Post by perdido »

Hi kuman11

I am having a difficult time following your install procedure.

How was this puppy linux xslacko installed when it was working?
Is this a frugal install?

Are you using some tool to install?

Is this on a multiboot windows computer?

kuman11

#4 Post by kuman11 »

No, it's not multiboot. I run it on my Acer Aspire only through a USB stick. I was trying to update it to newest posted version which I forgot to unzip and probably deleted the old sfs puppy file. The other 2 are still present. I run it in Ram w/o a save file, though I created one b4 the update. It's not recognized upon booting though and it goes to this blue screen when I reboot.

the HD of the Acer's not fine, it's not even recognized by GParted.
I used the Puppy installer included in Xslacko 4.4. created by mistfire.

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

If I understand it correctly, you now have the vmlinuz and initrd on your USB stick, but are missing the main xslacko.sfs (and possibly other SFS files) because you forgot to copy them from the ISO of the updated Slacko version, but the ISO is still stored on the same pen drive that has the Slacko install on it.

The easiest solution would be to either find some other way to boot the computer (like another bootable pen drive, if you have one), or use another computer to copy the files on your USB stick. But if that's not possible - or if you are not afraid of using the command line -, you can try this:

The screen that you get after booting has a "go to prompt" option. Select that to get to a command prompt where you can hopefully mount the ISO and copy the missing file(s). (If your vmlinuz, initrd, zdrv.sfs, etc. are still the old ones, you might want to replace them, too; at least you should make sure that the kernel components, vmlinuz and zdrv.sfs, are from the same Xslacko version.)

I tried this in a virtual machine with a frugal xslacko-slim install from which I deleted the main .sfs, albeit on a hard drive rather than a USB stick. (See screenshot below, you'll have to change file/directory names if yours are different from mine. I don't know what folders you have your files in. The "cd" command can be used to change directories; for example, 'cd /mnt/sda1/xslackosave' would take me to the "xslackosave" directory.)

If you need command line help:
PuppyLinux Reference Card
An A-Z Index of the Linux command line
Attachments
xslacko-fix.png
(36.04 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

kuman11

#6 Post by kuman11 »

mostly_lurking, u'd gotten me perfectly!
I used dmeg to determine the partition, it appeared as sda1 though the .iso CD instructions didn't work, same thing with b & d, btw all files are in the root dir ...

Thanks

kuman11

#7 Post by kuman11 »

I managed to copy the .sfs file and then rebooted, got Puppy running. Then it couldn't recognize any network interfaces. Then I remembered I tried booting from dhcp. Could it be the reason for messing up the networking?