New HP in Precise printing only on left half of page

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Walt52

New HP in Precise printing only on left half of page

#1 Post by Walt52 »

I'm using Precise 5.7.1 on an older desktop, and the new HP Officejet Pro 6978 prints. . .but only on the left half of the page. I've tried to download drivers, upgrading CUPS, adjusting the margins in CUPS, all to no avail. I go through printers pretty quickly, and I think I've seen this before, but I can't remember the fix.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Any update from Walt on this?

Walt52

#4 Post by Walt52 »

I gave up on the Epson, traded it in for an HP, which prints the entire page contents on the left half of the page. No drivers for this one, either, on CUPS. Ultimately I bought a used laptop running Windows 10 and I print from that. Lessons learned: 1)less support by hardware makers these days for Linux and 2)my old machines running XP don't work with new equipment either. So you could say SOLVED. . .

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Gave up too soon.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Walt52 wrote:I gave up on the Epson, traded it in for an HP, which prints the entire page contents on the left half of the page. No drivers for this one, either, on CUPS. Ultimately I bought a used laptop running Windows 10 and I print from that. Lessons learned: 1)less support by hardware makers these days for Linux and 2)my old machines running XP don't work with new equipment either. So you could say SOLVED. . .
Re Epson: read here.
Re HP: read here. This package should be click-installable into many Puppies.
No drivers for this one, either, on CUPS
If there were no drivers, then how did you install it? By choosing another model? Possibly from Gutenprint?