SimpleGTKRadio e mpv Media Player

Please post any bugs you have found
soniabu

SimpleGTKRadio e mpv Media Player

#1 Post by soniabu »

Sorry, guys, I'm trying to get help because I don't understand it anymore.
I installed xenialpip64 one year ago and I must say that until yesterday I was satisfied. Yesterday evening the userl Watchdog brilliantly solved the possibility of using Audacity. And until yesterday it was the only problem. Today I find myself with these other two problems related to: Simple gtk Radio and mpv Media Player. Both until last night were working properly; this morning - after having as usual updated xenialpup64 and the various repositories - these two software no longer work. Simple GTKRadio starts but doesn't tune; Media playes doesn't even start.
All this is inexplicable for me: I guarantee you that apart from updating the operating system I have done nothing else.
What suggestions can you give me?
thx Sonia
Last edited by soniabu on Fri 28 Dec 2018, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ soniabu:-

Mm. You say that RSH 'solved' your Audacity problem last night? And that Simple-GTK-Radio & MPV were both working up until last night?

Sounds as though something involved in fixing Audacity may have broken these other two. Seems extremely coincidental, don't you think?

Mike. :wink:

soniabu

#3 Post by soniabu »

I don't know Mike; the only thing that happened between fixing Audacity and this morning (that doesn't make SimpleRadio and Media Player work) is that I only updated Xenialpup64 7.5;
but assuming that fixing Audacity compromised the other two, I uninstalled and re-installed them again, so they're a brand new version. Yet they don't work anymore. I think I should re-install Xenialpup64 7.5; which bothers me very much and reduces my confidence in Xenialpup which, until last night, was very high.
I have to go back to Windows and download Xenialpup again and transfer it all back to pen. A real boredom.

I tried to launch Simple Radio from the terminal and this error appears to me:
mpv /usr/libva.so.1: no version information available
mpv symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: vaQueryVideoProcPipelineCaps

Mike, I think you're right. In fact last night to make Audacity work I also gave the command to terminal :
ln -s /usr/lib/libvpx.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/libvpx.so.1
and in fact as you can see from the above error it seems that there is a wrong reference for SimpleRadio.
Now I should just know what command to give to restore the sistuazione previous to the operation of Audacity. That is to say, to put everything back in the condition of before when Audacity didn't work; but on the other hand both SimpleRadio and Media Player worked well.

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

It's simple, man: follow the logic, undo what you have done. Erase that symlink.

If you need Audacity, set it up in its own pupsave.

Finally, always make backups BEFORE something goes wrong. I'm not being
condescending: mankind in general has a big problem with understanding the
obvious in any situation.

In this case, the obvious is: AFTER the event, it's too late to think of a backup.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

soniabu

#5 Post by soniabu »

if I knew how to delete that link and return to the previous situation I would have already done so. I just don't know what command to give. I don't know Linux yet.
The link I gave to the terminal is this: ln -s usr/lib/libvpx.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/libvpx.so.1
so what command should I give to break this link?
If you know, you could help me, and you'd be very welcome: otherwise I'll do without your sermon.
sonia

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

soniabu wrote:if I knew how to delete that link and return to the previous situation I would have already done so. I just don't know what command to give. I don't know Linux yet.
The link I gave to the terminal is this: ln -s usr/lib/libvpx.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/libvpx.so.1
so what command should I give to break this link?
If you know, you could help me, and you'd be very welcome: otherwise I'll do without your sermon.
sonia
Sorry about the "sermony" tone earlier.

Open a console and type:

Code: Select all

rm -f /usr/lib/libvpx.so.1
This will remove the symlink you previously created.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

soniabu

#7 Post by soniabu »

musher don't worry; sometimes the feeling of empathy is faulty and it is narrow to understand the problems in which others are struggling. .
I really appreciate that you've changed your mind. I don't know Linux well yet, so every little problem causes me a lot of research to solve it. And this lack of knowledge also forces me to adapt to the suggestions of others without deepening the meanings so as not to disturb them too much: all this, not being my usual custom, causes me fatigue and tiredness.
Thanks for the command "remove" (In the meantime I was reading that I could also use "unlink") .
You were courteous musher, I hope to return soon.
sonia

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ soniabu:-

Mm. Well, from what you posted, it seems like there's something I wasn't aware of; it appears that Simple-GTK-Radio needs mpv to function (or at least, some kind of 'connection' via mplayer - which is mpv's 'engine').

I know from past experience that MPV requires libva.so.1 in order to function. Jlst built a few packages for some of the 32-bit Pups; libva is available through the PPM in the case of 'buntu-based Puppies, but has to be 'borrowed' from one of these if you want to run MPV in any of the Slacko Puppies.

Apparently, Audacity also requires libva as well. Libvpx, however, seems to be an Audacity-only one...

Has removing that sym-link made any difference?

Mike. :wink:

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

Audacity-quirky64-2.1.pet overwrite libva.so.1. Try uninstalling audacity at all.

ITSMERSH

#10 Post by ITSMERSH »

@soniabu

Before uninstalling Audacity you can try to go to /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib, searching for that symbolic link libva.so.1 and if you found it, just copy it to /usr/lib.

Probably Audacity will work though after that. GtkRadio and MPV should work definitely after that.

If you are uninstalling Audacity this will probably remove also the symbolic link libva.so.1, so probably nothing will work after uninstalling Audacity.

Btw: that sort of issues is one of the reasons why I'm preferring .sfs modules. :D

watchdog

#11 Post by watchdog »

ITSMERSH wrote: If you are uninstalling Audacity this will probably remove also the symbolic link libva.so.1, so probably nothing will work after uninstalling Audacity.
This was the behaviour of ppm in old puppies. PPM in xenialpup64 is in the new version and uninstalling packages is not now a problem.

ITSMERSH

#12 Post by ITSMERSH »

So, uninstalling Audacity will restore the overwritten symbolic link libva.so.1?

watchdog

#13 Post by watchdog »

I think yes. I keep installing and uninstalling many packages with PPM in modern puppies without problems.

soniabu

#14 Post by soniabu »

Thank you all for your help and profuse expertise. A particular thought to ITSMERSH and Watchdog. In fact, following first the instructions of ITSM, as if by magic, both SimpleRadio and Media Player have been working perfectly again; Audaciry, has continued to function as brilliantly resolved previously by Watchdog. Gratitude to Mike, who suggested a reflection to which I had not thought; and finally, a benevolent smile for mrsher0 that, in addition to teaching me a new command, has paternally reminded me of the axioms of the good computer scientist. One day of these, however, all of you with me in front of a cup of coffee, you will enlighten me on the meaning of the commands that, like a careful monkey, I entered at the terminal.
Thanks again friends.
sonia
Last edited by soniabu on Sat 29 Dec 2018, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#15 Post by ITSMERSH »

So, everything seems to be fine?

Great to hear! :D

soniabu

#16 Post by soniabu »

ohh yes! FANTASTIC.
Yes, I can listen to music while studying with SimpleRadio, watching movies with Media Players and using Audacity to manipulate songs.
Thanks to you!
s :D

rufwoof

#17 Post by rufwoof »

Audacity is very good for doing things such as removing background noise from recordings. VLC is another good choice IMO for the breadth of what it provides (listen to audio, watch videos, listen to radio stations ...etc., can even cut/record parts of a file out to a new file, and has a reasonable equaliser).

I predominately boot OpenBSD nowadays as I listen to audio a lot and prefer OSS for the better quality, and for my needs only require the base system (comes as a complete OS) plus chromium. I can use chromium to listen to the radio, play mp3's and mp4's, view PDF's ...etc. Along with online email and other tools such as googledocs (which is great for collaboration) that pretty much covers most of my needs. Infrequently when I do want additional functions I'll just install them temporarily, such as Audacity on a as-and-when needed basis. I do however also keep audacious installed for its equaliser and visualisations. I also leave a 1 pixel gap at the top of screen so I can click the desktop (left/middle/right mouse for the windows/groups/programs menus accessible via mouse click type actions). As that looks nicer than just a wallpaper or a black screen as a idle 'desktop' (I have it set to auto load on bootup and typically just leave it running so something is already playing whenever I pick up the headphones. i.e. my desktop system is nowadays predominately a deep arm-chair personal music/media centre and web browser).

I've also switched over to using cwm window manager - very bland/bare. alt-? and first couple of characters of a program name to launch programs. alt-M to maximise windows, alt-tab to switch between windows ... so no desktop tray, no window decorations ...etc. Relatively infrequently I will move or resize windows (alt-left/middle mouse), typically to position two windows side by side for comparison purposes.
Attachments
s.png
(126.16 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]