Boot Error from Xenialpup 7.5 on flash drive

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nanosecond

Boot Error from Xenialpup 7.5 on flash drive

#1 Post by Nanosecond »

Dear Friends,

Hope all is well.

We did a fresh install of Xenialpup 7.5 to a USB drive and it worked fine.

It's been a couple weeks since I tried to use Xenialpup 7.5 via USB.
Starting today..Every time I try to reboot the computer it immediately states BOOT Error.

I made sure the Boot order was correct, but it jumps right to Boot Error on the screen.

I have not made any changes. I have tried using the Xenialpup 7.5 USB on two different laptops and I get the same message.
It will boot fine into Tahrupup.

I'm a bit bewildered at the moment.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely, Raphael
:roll:

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

:idea: Well --since it originally worked-- something must have screwed up the bootloader.

If I read your post correctly, booting Tahrpup from the same USB-Key, the problem doesn't appear. In any event, if you're using grub4dos to boot into Xenialpup, boot into Tahrpup, open Menu>System>grub4dos and re-install it. But before running grub4dos, you might want to install into Tahrpup the new version shinobar published: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 995#384995

Nanosecond

BOOT ERROR

#3 Post by Nanosecond »

mikeslr wrote::idea: Well --since it originally worked-- something must have screwed up the bootloader.

If I read your post correctly, booting Tahrpup from the same USB-Key, the problem doesn't appear. In any event, if you're using grub4dos to boot into Xenialpup, boot into Tahrpup, open Menu>System>grub4dos and re-install it. But before running grub4dos, you might want to install into Tahrpup the new version shinobar published: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 995#384995
Thank You!
I have Tahrpup and Xenial on two different Flash bars. So, I'm really not sure "how to" go about this process? Need more details. The attachment shows Tahrpup on the Dell laptop. The HP dv7-3085 laptop will boot Tahrpup, but I have to take extra steps..Neither laptop will boot into Xenial..it stop dead at Boot Error right after rebooting or starting from the computer being Shutdown.
Is the upgrade of shinobar essential? Again I'm not certain How To do that? I can find grub4dos, but I'm not sure how to install it. Sorry? Still on that learning curve.
Best, Ralph
Attachments
GRUB.png
(24.56 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

You could just have a USB drive that has gone bad.
They do not last forever.

It is always the little pieces of info that helps to understand.

mikeslr was thinking that Tahrpup and Xenialpup were on the same USB drive.
With each one on different USB drives.
I will guess that they are installed as live installs on the USB drive. No added bootloader.
So for now forget about Grub4dos.

Try this:
Boot into Tahrpup.
Plug in the Xenialpup USB drive, but do not mount it. Just have it plugged in.
Start Gparted with the Xenialpup USB drive as device to look at.
See if Gparted shows the drive partition flagged as boot.
If yes.
Right click on the drives partition and from right click menu select check.
Select apply.
Let it see if anything is wrong with drive file system and fix it.

Any help?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Nanosecond

BOOT ERROR

#5 Post by Nanosecond »

bigpup wrote:You could just have a USB drive that has gone bad.
They do not last forever.

It is always the little pieces of info that helps to understand.

mikeslr was thinking that Tahrpup and Xenialpup were on the same USB drive.
With each one on different USB drives.
I will guess that they are installed as live installs on the USB drive. No added bootloader.
So for now forget about Grub4dos.

Try this:
Boot into Tahrpup.
Plug in the Xenialpup USB drive, but do not mount it. Just have it plugged in.
Start Gparted with the Xenialpup USB drive as device to look at.
See if Gparted shows the drive partition flagged as boot.
If yes.
Right click on the drives partition and from right click menu select check.
Select apply.
Let it see if anything is wrong with drive file system and fix it.

Any help?
Thank You!
I know these USB can go bad. It is brand new and its good quality.

Here is what I see and I hope this helps. The other attachment simply shows the Error message. If I do a Ctrl Alt Delete it cycles back to the same screen. If I hit any Key it just duplicates the Error message over and over.
Hopefully this will be something simple.
The sdc USB drive. Descr: Generic USB Flash Disc is the USB flashdrive that is suspect and has Xenialpup 7.5 on it.
Best, Ralph
Attachments
GPartedInfo.png
(81.43 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
GParted dev sdc.png
(29.66 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
GPartedInfo.png
(81.43 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Boot Error irv.jpg
(14.32 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
GParted.png
(36.31 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

Nanosecond

BOOT ERROR

#6 Post by Nanosecond »

Dear Friends near and far!

What is the next step?

Thank you!

:wink:

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again,

No, updating grub4dos is not essential. But why not use the latest which now always install "wee as mbr". Previous versions which didn't do that sometimes caused a problem. Installing the new grub4dos is easy. See the steps below.

But before doing anything, perhaps someone can explain the significance of having set under flags "lba". See Nanosecond's screenshot. I've never set that flag, seen it set, doubt that it is necessary and don't recommend doing anything unnecessary whose significance is questionable.

To install the new grub4dos: Boot into Tahrpup. I've saved you the trouble of following the links from the post on the Forum. Open your web-browser to http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/. Scroll down to the grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.4.pet. Left-Click it to download it. Go to the folder where it downloaded to. Your Browser may have a downloads icon or menu listing. Sometimes, you can click it, then click the downloaded item to install it or right-click it to open to the download folder so you can left-click the pet. Left-clicking a pet initiates installation. But if your web-browser doesn't provide a quick way to get to the download folder, open rox and file-browse to it.

After installation finishes, restart-x: Menu>Shutdown>Restart-x or Restart Graphical Server. Sometimes restarting-x isn't necessary. But it can't hurt. Restarting-x causes a Puppy to re-catalog what makes up its system. [You may also want to execute a Save to your SaveFile to preserve the installation of the new Grub4dos].

While still running Tahrpup, plug the USB-Stick with Xenialpup in. When you do, note that a new desktop drive icon will appear. Note the name it is given. [If the Tahrpup USB-Stick was named sdb, the Xenialpup USB-Stick will be sdc. These names are dynamic, changing with the order in which you plug in USB-Sticks]. With the USB-Stick on which Xenialpup is on plugged in, open Menu>System>Grub4dos. In the left-hand panel, you'll see various drives listed. Select the one having the same label as your Xenialpup USB-Stick was given. Place a check mark in the "Search within only this device" otherwise the boot-menu created will also add a listing for Tahrpup on your other USB-Key. Other than that, just follow the instructions.

By the way, maybe open another thread seeking advice about "The HP dv7-3085 laptop will boot Tahrpup, but I have to take extra steps.." What steps? Or do you already know that they are really necessary.

Nanosecond

Boot Error

#8 Post by Nanosecond »

Thank You~!
I do see the new sdc icon on the desktop.
After I open Grub4DosConfig - List of detected operating systems.
On the left side of that same box it says Fugal installed Puppy (Not Found)
on the right side it list Windows at the top and says " The first entry shown regardless Windows are installed or not. Recommended to keep the entry. So I tick next with Windows as it appeared as mentioned above.
Next I tick OK> the bootloader (Grub4Dos) will be installed on:sdc
Press OK ti install. Press Cancel if you do not like to.
I tick OK *See Attachment) where do I go from there? I know very little about *Unmount* the drive before you remove it. Its' installed on a removable device the Xenial USB Key as you call it.
The Xenial Key just sits there as solid Red color.
Waiting
Raphael
Attachments
Grub Dos Success.png
(39.77 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Last edited by Nanosecond on Sat 29 Dec 2018, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Nanosecond

Re: Boot Error

#9 Post by Nanosecond »

Nanosecond wrote:Thank You~!
On the left side of that same box is says Fugal installed Puppy (Not Found)
on the right side it list Windows at the top and says " The first entry shown regardless Windows are installed or not. Recommended to keep the entry. So I tick next with Windows as it appeared as mentioned above.
I tick OK *See Attachment) where do I go from there? I know very little about *Unmount* the drive before you remove it. Its' installed on a removable device the Xenial USB Key as you call it.
I did unmount it I think whether thats the issue? or if its something else I overlooked?!? So Sorry about the confusion...But, I thought I followed your instructions.
Waiting
As far as "The HP dv7-3085 laptop booting Tahrpup" All I can say at this moment is on the Dell computer I just plug in the USB Key and it boots right into Tahrpup. Not clear exactly what extra step(s) I take? As I recall I have to Hot the Esc key>then it opens another window that gives me a choice to boot into Tahrpup aka Sandisk which is the Key the it is on. After that it boots right into Tahrpup like it does on the Dell. I have tried to Set the boot order to boot into the Key first. Thus far is doesn't appear to Save the changes in the BIOS settings. Something like that..
Raphael
The last attachment shows you what I see when I try to boot with the Xenial key. It boots to a pup like window, but the only options there is Windows or Advanced. Advanced is what you see in the attachment "Grub bootup Xenial Key" If I were to wait more than several seconds it would automatically boot into Windows. I don't see the correct Key or Option to boot into the Xenial USB Key.
:?
Attachments
Grub bootup Xenial Key.jpg
(63.16 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Last edited by Nanosecond on Sat 29 Dec 2018, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.

Nanosecond

Re: Boot Error

#10 Post by Nanosecond »

Nanosecond wrote:Thank You~!
On the left side of that same box it says Fugal installed Puppy (Not Found)
Waiting
As far as "The HP dv7-3085 laptop booting Tahrpup" All I can say at this moment is on the Dell computer I just plug in the USB Key and it boots right into Tahrpup. Not clear exactly what extra step(s) I take? As I recall I have to tick the Esc key>then it opens another window that gives me a choice to boot into Tahrpup aka Sandisk which is the Key the it is on. After that it boots right into Tahrpup like it does on the Dell. I have tried to Set the boot order to boot into the Key first. Thus far is doesn't appear to Save the changes in the BIOS settings. Something like that..
Raphael
Attachments
pMount.png
I hope this has done some good
(98.53 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nanosecond,

I think you missed part of the instructions I gave for working with two USB-Sticks.

"While still running Tahrpup, plug the USB-Stick with Xenialpup in. When you do, note that a new desktop drive icon will appear. Note the name it is given... Emphasis supplied.

From your LAST screenshot, it appears that you have Tahrpup on a ScanDisk Cruzer, which Tahrpup labelled sdb.

Is Xenialpup on the "15.5 Generic USB Flash Disk" Tahrpup labelled sdd? If so, that's the drive you want grub4dos to install to, and search only.

Nanosecond

BOOT ERROR

#12 Post by Nanosecond »

mikeslr wrote:Hi nanosecond,

I think you missed part of the instructions I gave for working with two USB-Sticks.

"While still running Tahrpup, plug the USB-Stick with Xenialpup in. When you do, note that a new desktop drive icon will appear. Note the name it is given... Emphasis supplied.

From your LAST screenshot, it appears that you have Tahrpup on a ScanDisk Cruzer, which Tahrpup labelled sdb.

Is Xenialpup on the "15.5 Generic USB Flash Disk" Tahrpup labelled sdd? If so, that's the drive you want grub4dos to install to, and search only.
Thank You! when I plug the Xenial Key into the Dell laptop running Tahrup the Icon that appears on the desktop is sdc1.
When I open Grub4Dos Config it list the 15 GB Generic USB Flash Disk as sdc. There is no sdd listed on that window.
Update
In the Grub4DosConfig v.1.9.4 window and I tick to highlight>15 GB Generic USB Flash Disk>Select> Search within only this device and tick OK. The next window that opens is Grub4DosConfig - List of detected operating systems. >You can rewrite each label. Or, erase. Caution: You cannot change the order. Underneath it says "Frugal installed Puppy (Not Found)" to the right on the same box it says Windows at the top and " The first entry shown regardless Windows are installed or not. Recommended to keep the entry. In the small box underneath in the same window. By default has Windows in there and it is grayed over. I can erase it and make that space blank and write some thing else in there. The options are OK>Cancel>Help.
Next window when I tick OK
Attachments
Grub4DosConfig confirmation.png
(11.82 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Grub4DosConfig List of detected operating systems-1.png
(23.75 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

mikeslr

I think you've somehow lost the Xenialpup 7.5 files

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nanosecond,

I think you've somehow lost the essential Xenialpup 7.5 files, or at least some of them.
First, plug in the USB-stick with Tahrpup on it and boot into Tahrpup. Tahrpup's desktop should show the Tahrpup's USB-Key as sdb since I understand from your previous posts that your computer has only ONE hard-drive. [Hard-drives are listed first. So your hard-drive should show up as sda].

Then plug in the the USB-stick which used to be able to boot into Xenialpup. It should show up as a desktop-drive icon with the label sdc. Regardless of what label it is given, LEFT-Click that desktop drive icon. That will open/mount it and a window to its contents will appear.

There are two possibilities. The first is that xenialpup's files were written to the "top" of the USB-Drive. The second is that xenialpup's files were written to a folder, perhaps named something like xenialpup. To view the contents of a folder Left-Click it. To move to the 'parent of a folder' so you can review the contents of other folders, left-click the Up-Arrow on Rox's Task-bar.

Whether at the top of the USB-Key or within a folder, in order for Xenialpup to boot and for grub4dos to recognize the existence of a Puppy operating system, the following three files must exist:

initrd.gz --the initial ram disk written to Random Access Memory where the construction of the Puppy Operating System will take place + the instructions of what files to read from Storage (in this case, your USB-Stick) into Random Access Memory.
vmlinuz -- this is the engine and "power-train" which runs Puppy's applications.
puppy_xenialpup_7.5.sfs --these are Puppy's applications.

Two other files should also be present:

zdrv_xenialpup_7.5.sfs -- these are the drivers and firmware (nuts & bolts) connecting xenialpup to your computer's hardware. Without this file, your computer might boot to desktop, but your mouse, keyboard and even your monitor might not work.

xenialpupsave_xxx.sfs --this is the file you probably created the first time you shutdown. It is used to preserve your settings, the applications you install and the datafiles you write to "Puppy-Space". If only this file is missing, xenialpup would have booted, but nothing you previously Saved would be there.

It is possible that somehow one or more of the first 3 files was inadvertently deleted (along perhaps with either or both the other two) or that a power surge or power outage during shutdown corrupted them, or that some other malady has affected them. At any event, if an examination of sdc does not reveal the first 4 mentioned files present, they would have to be reinstalled before running grub4dos to create a bootloader-menu.lst to boot into xenialpup.

Please let us know what your visual examination of the USB-Key shows.

Nanosecond

BOOT ERROR

#14 Post by Nanosecond »

mikeslr wrote:Hi nanosecond,

I think you've somehow lost the essential Xenialpup 7.5 files, or at least some of them.
First, plug in the USB-stick with Tahrpup on it and boot into Tahrpup. Tahrpup's desktop should show the Tahrpup's USB-Key as sdb since I understand from your previous posts that your computer has only ONE hard-drive. [Hard-drives are listed first. So your hard-drive should show up as sda].

Then plug in the the USB-stick which used to be able to boot into Xenialpup. It should show up as a desktop-drive icon with the label sdc. Regardless of what label it is given, LEFT-Click that desktop drive icon. That will open/mount it and a window to its contents will appear.

There are two possibilities. The first is that xenialpup's files were written to the "top" of the USB-Drive. The second is that xenialpup's files were written to a folder, perhaps named something like xenialpup. To view the contents of a folder Left-Click it. To move to the 'parent of a folder' so you can review the contents of other folders, left-click the Up-Arrow on Rox's Task-bar.

Whether at the top of the USB-Key or within a folder, in order for Xenialpup to boot and for grub4dos to recognize the existence of a Puppy operating system, the following three files must exist:

initrd.gz --the initial ram disk written to Random Access Memory where the construction of the Puppy Operating System will take place + the instructions of what files to read from Storage (in this case, your USB-Stick) into Random Access Memory.
vmlinuz -- this is the engine and "power-train" which runs Puppy's applications.
puppy_xenialpup_7.5.sfs --these are Puppy's applications.

Two other files should also be present:

zdrv_xenialpup_7.5.sfs -- these are the drivers and firmware (nuts & bolts) connecting xenialpup to your computer's hardware. Without this file, your computer might boot to desktop, but your mouse, keyboard and even your monitor might not work.

xenialpupsave_xxx.sfs --this is the file you probably created the first time you shutdown. It is used to preserve your settings, the applications you install and the datafiles you write to "Puppy-Space". If only this file is missing, xenialpup would have booted, but nothing you previously Saved would be there.

It is possible that somehow one or more of the first 3 files was inadvertently deleted (along perhaps with either or both the other two) or that a power surge or power outage during shutdown corrupted them, or that some other malady has affected them. At any event, if an examination of sdc does not reveal the first 4 mentioned files present, they would have to be reinstalled before running grub4dos to create a bootloader-menu.lst to boot into xenialpup.

Please let us know what your visual examination of the USB-Key shows.
Thank You dear friend...

See attachment per your request. As you can see it list it as sdc1. I don't see anything there that you said I should. Why? I have no idea :shock:
Your thoughts when you have a moment. I was touched by your message you sent earlier. I'll get back to you on it if you don't mind? I need to respect your privacy and all the time you've sacrificed. I may not be back on until Sunday sometime.
Kind regards, Raphael
Attachments
USB drive sdc1.png
(35.38 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

ITSMERSH

#15 Post by ITSMERSH »

There's nothing installed on that usb drive except grub4dos.

Where is Xenial installed to?

Nanosecond

BOOT ERROR

#16 Post by Nanosecond »

ITSMERSH wrote:There's nothing installed on that usb drive except grub4dos.

Where is Xenial installed to?

Thank YOU!

To be perfectly honest! I don't know. :shock:
If I plug the Key in while just running Windows on one of my laptops > Used space according to Windows is 6.81 GB and 7.61 GB Free space. Total:14.4GB.

It might be time to Reformat the Key and do a fresh install of Xenial?!?

This was reposted into this Forum titled Xenial Pup..from Installing Xenialpup to a USB stick Tutorial Video

There was another post started on or about August/September 2018. With a lot help and patience from Mike Walsh. "Installing Xenialpup to a USB stick Tutorial Video"
I do have an ISO of Xenial in 32 and 64 Bit versions.

One of the laptops HP dv7-3085 is Windows 7 32 Bit and the other Windows rig is 7 64 Bit. Dell E6400 Latitude.

There was some confusion about which version of Xenial was to be installed onto a USB Key aka Flashbar in order to work on both laptops. Partially because of installing the newest version of Chrome browser. Tahrpup uses only one version of Chrome and cannot be updated as far as I know.

So, please carefully consider building a *fresh* new version of Xenial..
If I could be given *Clear* instructions on "How To" install Xenial from one of the ISO's (I assume 64 Bit) onto a Flashbar/Key.

Your thoughts and suggestions deeply appreciated.

Kindly, Raphael

mikeslr

#17 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again nanosecond,

As ITSMERSH noticed, Xenialpup isn't on your USB-Stick. What is there is a folder named FOUND.000 and gparted showed that 2.8.3 Gbs of space had been used.

I may be wrong. It's been a long time since I've used Windows for anything. But my sometimes flaky memory seems to recall that from time to time windows would find something wrong with a drive, reformat it saving its contents in a file it named FOUND.000 so that you could recover the contents or rebuild the operating system. As you have to pay for Windows and many of the programs which run under it the FOUND.000 folder had value. Puppy Linux and the programs which run under it are free. Recovering "Lost" DataFiles is a PITA. So unless you had some datafiles you want to recover I'd start from scratch to create a new Frugal install on Xenialpup by first wiping out everything on the USB-Stick.

There are data recovery programs but I've never used them. Let us know and someone else can guide you.

Since you now have a functioning Puppy, Tahrpup, once you are ready to start from scratch creating a bootable Xenialpup USB-Stick is actually easy.

Boot into Tahrpup. Download the Xenialpup ISO again if you didn't keep a copy.
Locate the ISO and Left-Click it to mount/open it. Leave that window open.

Then plug in the "former" Xenialpup USB- Do not mount/open it. Gparted can not work with mounted drives. Open gparted. Click the Devices Menu Entry. Click Create Partition Table. Accept MSDOS. [The alternative is GPT. GPT complicates using Puppies, and you don't need 128 partitions]. Note the warning, but Click Apply.

See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 55#1012755 as to why I create two partitions, a small Fat32 to hold the bootloader and any any files I may want to transfer to a Window system and format the rest of the drive as Linux to hold Puppy(s). Following your experience I'd add: Windows won't even see the 2nd partition and won't be able to screw it up. The worst windows could do is screw up the first partition and --as you've done it several time-- you now know how easy it is to actually reinstall grub4dos.

To the now wholly "unallocated" space, select the size for its first partition and format it as Fat32. When formatting is finished, select Flags, and check the boot box.
3. Select the remaining "unallocated" space and format it as Linux Ext4.
4. When gparted is finished, close it and mount the Second partition of your new USB-Stick. From the window to the mounted Xenialpup ISO copy the following files onto that partition (recommended into a uniquely named folder*): initrd.xx, vmlinuz and any file ending in ".sfs"
5. Unmount the second Partition. Note what letter designation your Puppy has given to the new stick, e.g. sdc. Grub4dos can not write to mounted drives. Run grub4dos, selecting the device with the designation you just noted as the location for it to be installed. Select "Search only within this device". Click OK. Grub4dos will install a bootloader onto your new USB-Stick and create a boot menu.lst including the Puppy you've placed on that Stick.

mikeslr

#18 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again,

You posted while I was writing. Tahrpup can use this new version of Iron: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 36#1009536

Google creates a browser named Chromium which it uses to test new features. It then incorporates what works into its new version of Google-Chome. The people who publish Iron take the Chromium build, strip it of some/all of Google-Chromes "call home to Google whenever the user does anything" features. In short, Iron is a cleaner version of Google-Chrome.

See the Iron thread in general for advice. There is both an SFS and a pet. I prefer the SFS. To download either from Yandex, first click the one you want. Only then will a new Menu will appear at the top of the screen. From it click Download.

Nanosecond

BOOT ERROR

#19 Post by Nanosecond »

mikeslr wrote:Hi again,

You posted while I was writing. Tahrpup can use this new version of Iron: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 36#1009536

Google creates a browser named Chromium which it uses to test new features. It then incorporates what works into its new version of Google-Chome. The people who publish Iron take the Chromium build, strip it of some/all of Google-Chromes "call home to Google whenever the user does anything" features. In short, Iron is a cleaner version of Google-Chrome.

See the Iron thread in general for advice. There is both an SFS and a pet. I prefer the SFS. To download either from Yandex, first click the one you want. Only then will a new Menu will appear at the top of the screen. From it click Download.
Thank You!
note attachments plz. We've been beating a dead horse so the saying goes.

As clear as Mike Walsh was or is with all of his instructions.. there always came up some window or option that was not mentioned..more often than not I would allow that *default* choice and tick OK.
So, if we are going to move forward with a fresh Xenial install >USB Key. I would ask that the steps be laid out as clearly and simply as possible. I have slowly become more aware of how Linux/Puppy works, but there is still much of what I do not understand..it is a different language than Windows from where I sit.
I assume to clear out the USB Key I insert it and select Format>Eject. It is then ready to proceed with a new installation. I've decided to use CCleaner>Tools>Wipe. Does this require more than one Wipe?
I have both ISO on CD's of Xenial in 32Bit/64Bit.
In line with keeping things on a "new student" level it might be best to avoid Iron Chromium and stick with the Google_Chrome-70.0.3538.67-amd64.pet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/144VYJC ... -hLOR/view. I try to always be in the learning mode. At this time I would be very pleased and blessed to have a new Xenial USB Key that is healthiest.
Finally, what would cause Xenialpup to load quickly and the Shut down very slowly..like several minutes. Tahrpup doesn't act to that extreme..maybe on rare occasions.
Phew!
Sincerely, Raphael
Attachments
Found 000.png
(24.28 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
USB Key Xenial.jpg
(55.89 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

mikeslr

#20 Post by mikeslr »

1. Now that you have a working Puppy, Tahrpup, don't use Windows for anything having to do with Puppy. Using Windows only complicates things and was only necessary before you created the Tahrpup USB-Stick. Use Gparted under Tahrpup to reformat your USB-Stick per the instructions previously given.

2. "I have both ISO on CD's of Xenial in 32Bit/64Bit.
In line with keeping things on a "new student" level it might be best to avoid Iron Chromium and stick with the Google_Chrome-70.0.3538.67-amd64.pet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/144VYJC ... -hLOR/view.

I didn't realize you had both the 32 and 64 bit Xenialpup ISO. Note the designation -amd64 above indicating that it is a 64-bit application. You can use it with your 64-bit Xenialpup. You can NOT use it with either a 32-bit Tahrpup or Xenialpup.

I don't recall anyone recently publishing a 32-bit Google-Chrome so I suggested the 32-bit Iron. There are a couple other, recent, 32-bit Chrome-clones (vivaldi, slimjet) you'll find on the Additional Software Forum: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=53. But, as far as I know, the last actual Google-Chrome that could be used with 32-bit Puppies was OscarTalks version 48 you can find here: http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/[url]htt ... scarTalks/[/url]. It is now 2 years old, and in the meantime Google-Chrome has made 42 major revisions. It is still useful. But many websites won't permit access to it.

To All reading this, Have a Happy New Year.