Xenial 64 bit hanging on Loading Kernel

Booting, installing, newbie
surfingpanda

Xenial 64 bit hanging on Loading Kernel

#1 Post by surfingpanda »

Hello all! Apologies if I didn't find the answer to this question in that fantastic sticky thread.

I have a Lenovo 320-15abr laptop. I've installed Ubuntu on the had drive before and gotten it to boot from a flash drive too. I'm a little confused with this latest experience. I burned the Xeniao 64 bit iso to a CD.... It starts booting off the CD fine until Loading Kernel comes up... There it just sadly hangs.

Any idea why? What am I missing?

Thanks!

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

As the owner of a recently acquired Lenovo Laptop (not the same as yours), it's my impression is that Lenovo appears to be trading on the good reputation it acquired when it purchased the manufacturing of IBM Thinkpads. Installing an alternate operating system has become a PITA.

That seems to be the case with your Lenovo 320-15abr laptop. As an example, see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... -p/3828111.

Hopefully for simplicity's sake, but at least to avoid wasting CD/DVDs, I suggest that you acquire a USB-Stick (8 Gbs is inexpensive and more than sufficient) and then use LICK to install Xenialpup64 to it: not your hard-drive*. Lick can be found here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 720#462720

By Xenial 64, I hope you mean Xenialpup64 and chose the ISO bearing the designation uefi, such as here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/64/. The uefi designation indicates that a Puppy's boot files include the signature and modules necessary to boot from a computer using the UEFI boot mechanism**. Your Lenovo 320-15abr is such a computer.

* Before making any effort to dual-boot a computer from its hard-drive make certain that the Puppy you've chosen will actually boot on that computer.

** UEFI has little to do with security beyond being a rationale to feed to ignorant masses. It's mostly to curtail and complicate the development of alternate operating systems. See this thread for the details, but also for links to posts about how we've had to deal with it. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 159#858159
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 17 Dec 2018, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

duplicate post.

ozsouth

#4 Post by ozsouth »

EDIT - my comment was offtopic (TPM issues).

foxpup

Re: Xenial 64 bit hanging on Loading Kernel

#5 Post by foxpup »

surfingpanda wrote:Any idea why? What am I missing?
Welcome to Puppy, surfingpanda.

First ideas:
Have you turned off secure boot in the BIOS?
As you may know the word "secure" in secure boot just means you are sure the builder of the distro has paid to microsoft. Nothing else is guaranteed.
Since Puppy has not paid... ;-)
Ubuntu has paid :)

Sometimes you have to turn on booting from USB.
If you find it in your BIOS, you could turn on the old legacy boot, often called CSM.
I'm not sure anymore if it is necessary for booting from pendrive, but if you have windows, turn off fast boot and hibernation. You may have to turn fast boot off in the BIOS as well.
Look on this page of Barry Kauler for more info and ideas.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I burned the Xeniao 64 bit iso to a CD....
Several possible reasons.
Download of ISO is bad. Re-download iso.
Burned the iso to CD at too fast a speed. Use 8 or less speed.
CD drive is dirty inside.
Make sure read lens is clean.
CD is dirty or scratched too much.

Laptop CD/DVD drives are not very good.

You will probably have better results making a Xenialpup64 live USB flash drive install and booting with it.

Unetbootin program can do a ISO install on USB.
https://unetbootin.github.io/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

surfingpanda

#7 Post by surfingpanda »

You all are the best! I did Have to go back into my BIOS and disable Secure Boot and switched back to Legacy Support for boot options. Not sure which did it, but it now boots great! Makes sense as I had to change those options for the first time I installed Linux to the HD...

I like the live CD over USB since its flush to the machine, nothing sticking out... and I have like 40 CDs from the early 2000's still... I bought some USB, like 90 degree things so my USB stick sits along the machine, but that didn't quite make me happy either. I'll have to just buy a SD card. I think that'll make me happy. In the mean time, 39 more CDs in the spindle!

foxpup

#8 Post by foxpup »

surfingpanda wrote:You all are the best! I did Have to go back into my BIOS and disable Secure Boot and switched back to Legacy Support for boot options. Not sure which did it, but it now boots great!
For al the older Puppies with no uefi in the name of the iso, you definitly need Legacy Support.
Have fun with all these Puppies!