Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
clerk_gabel

#41 Post by clerk_gabel »

Just to confirm a full working Firefox Quantum install on Slacko 6.2.3 after following the given directions.The nice shortcut pet also works.
With gtk+3 downloaded from a Slackware repository (gtk+3-3.4.4.i486-1.txz) and installed with pkgtool widgets are not that polished as in other installments of Firefox (tabs are square). On the other hand Firefox immediately after install / setup updated itself to Firefox Quantum 61.0.2

EDIT: the autoupdate to 61.0.2 broke my sound.After reverting to 60.0.1 and disabeling autoupdate initially again there was no sound, where installing apulse library from

https://altlinux.pkgs.org/sisyphus/clas ... 6.rpm.html

with the puppy package manager solved the sound problem on my system.I am satisfied and do not dare to enable autoupdate again.

EDIT-2: I took the chance and allowed autoupdate. With the apulse library installed sound works on Firefox Quantum 61.0.2
Flash downloaded as .txz from

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.0/

and installed with pkgtool also seem to work

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

Fred, I've got a challenge for you.

Figure out for me why I'm having problems getting FF-Quantum-portable to run in Racy 5.5, can you?

Normally, I would say it's because of the ancient glibc. I, however, have battleshooter's 'glibc-220' upgrade he put together for Carolina/Racy so folks could run Chrome, so I run the last 32-bit Linux Chrome, version 48.0.2564.116.

I've got the 'Wheezy' libdbus in /lib so Quantum sees it before the 'system' version in /usr/lib.....so it's not that.

I'm coming unstuck with libgtk3. I'm using the Precise .pet for libgtk3 I provided links to; research shows it's the same version as in Wheezy. The error I get in the terminal is as follows:-

Code: Select all

# /opt/firefox32/ff
/opt/firefox32/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-3.so.0: undefined symbol: g_static_resource_init
#
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not because of a compiling conflict with different versions of the glibc? I keep trying, but it's driving me nuts, this one. I even modified one of watchdog's older FF-Esr packages with its own self-contained version of the glibc (in this case, glibc 219).....but the same error crops up every time.

Any ideas? (*pretty please? - bats eyelashes*) :lol: :lol:

Mike. :wink:

fredx181

#43 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

I think I'll skip this challenge :wink: , sorry !

Probably Racy is too old to work with gtk3, also Precise has newer glibc than Racy, so that could be very well the problem if installed the Precise gtk3 pet on Racy.
(but just guessing, didn't test anything)

EDIT:
I, however, have battleshooter's 'glibc-220'
Mmm.. didn't read well earlier, so on your Racy what's the output of:

ldd --version
Fred

Mike Walsh

#44 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Fred.

I can't say as I blame you one little bit for wanting to give this one a miss..! :lol:

Since I'm tarting-up Racy's desktop ATM, here ya go:-

# ldd --version
ldd (GNU libc) 2.20
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.
# 

Mike Walsh

#45 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Fred.

Just wanted to say that your 'Quantum-portable' is more useful than I could have imagined.

I'm posting this from AntiX 16.1 'Berta Cacéres'. Stuck the entire 'firefox32' directory inside /home/Mike, chowned permissions to Mike:Mike, dragged 'ff' to the desktop, tarted it up with an icon, and.....Bingo.

These 'portables' are definitely the way to go! (Of course, it helps that AntiX uses ROX as the default filemanager; helps a lot. It was one of the things that drew me to it.....opening a pair of /root windows with 'sudo rox' means it's as simple to work on as Puppy. Being 'systemd-free' was just a bonus.)

fredx181

#46 Post by fredx181 »

*** Update to version 63.0.3 ***

Looks like I made a (big) mistake in previous versions. :oops:
Without realizing I had the apulse libs installed in my system (/usr/lib/apulse) and the apulse script included in the portable pointed to that.
Tested without apulse installed recently and the sound didn't work for me (when running the portable).

Big mystery for me, BTW, that there were earlier reports about sound working properly.

Oh well.. changed the portable setup now (includes "apulse" directory) and sound should work ok now.

Download links replaced at first post.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

Interesting, this.

I've used this 'portable-ff' of yours ever since you first uploaded it, right? It's updated itself all the way through to the current 63.0.3 (which occurred this morning.)

I've never touched it. I've always allowed it do its own thing.....without any interference from yours truly. The only thing I've done to it was to import bookmarks from an HTML file when I first started using it, plus installing my usual extensions...

This same 'install' of 'Quantum-portable' is actually in a remote partition, sym-linked into most of my Pups (so that way, they're all 'singing from the same hymn-sheet', as it were.....and using the exact same profile). Looking at the 'firefox32' directory just now, I find that the very same libs that you've put in the 'apulse' directory are in fact in the main directory itself.....but I didn't put them there!

So; where d'you suppose they came from? :?

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

Okay... a bit confusing, I'll try to explain:

In the old setup, indeed, the "pulse" libs were in the main directory.
But in the "apulse" script :

APULSEPATH="/usr/lib/apulse"

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APULSEPATH${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} exec "$@"
Which means that it's looking in /usr/lib/apulse (also it means: not portable)
If you have these libs in /usr/lib/apulse/, then sound probably works, otherwise not because these are not found.
(I earlier thought that these libs were automatically found in the main directory, but apparently not)

The change in the new setup is that in the "ff" script the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set (pointing to the ./apulse directory).
(so I moved these libs from the main directory to the apulse directory)

So the question is: If you did have sound with the old setup, did you have the pulse libs in /usr/lib/apulse ?
If so (sound works) and the libs in /usr/lib/apulse not existing, then it's still a big mystery for me.

Please (anyone?) help me out, I don't like mysteries :cry: (who does? :wink: )

Fred

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Fred.

Mm. Okay....

Turns out I have in fact got all those pulse libs in /usr/lib. I tried so many variations on the 'apulse' theme when Mozilla first started all this business, and I'm pretty certain I didn't delete one lot before trying another.....so I have a whole 'collection' of various apulse libs now!

Now, then; what would be the easiest way to 'migrate' to the new set-up, without needing to completely re-do my profile (which would take ages)? Can I simply move the 'profile' directory to the new version, then run like that? Would that work?

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Answered my own question. Transferred my 'profile' directory across to the new version, and fired it up from the 'ff' script. Of course, being portable, it literally will run from anywhere, won't it? I performed this experiment from a USB stick.

Radiotunes works (my main source of 'toons', day-to-day....and this site is FUSSY, believe me - if Flash and Pulse aren't just 'so', it doesn't want to know); NetFlix, too. Extensions & bookmarks (thousands of 'em!) - all present & correct. Yah; that'll do me, Fred. I'm happy with that. Excellent work, mate. Nice one.

So; I've replaced the common, 'remote' firefox32 directory with the new set-up. Job's a 'good'un'.

Cheers.

fredx181

#51 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike,

Good to know that you had installed pulse libs already .

Conclusion:
For everyone else who didn't have it, sound couldn't work with earlier portable version.

So.. wasn't really portable (as the pulse libs couldn't be found if not installed in the system).
But with newer 63.0.3 now it is !

Fred

Mike Walsh

#52 Post by Mike Walsh »

As an amusing 'aside', I thought I'd let you know your Quantum-portable is making itself useful elsewhere (apart from just Puppy).....

All my Pups live on the big Compaq's main hard drive. When I upgraded the Dell lappie's 32GB PATA/IDE SSD for a 64GB model, I 'installed' the 32 GB one into the Compaq.....and bunged AntiX on it.

After realising the portable is totally self-contained, I copied the directory into my '/home' directory in AntiX. I dragged the 'ff' script to the desktop (AntiX uses icewm/Rox by default, so I'm right at home with it!), tarted it up with an icon, and, bingo; .'portable' Quantum running happily in AntiX. Nice one.

fredx181

Update to version 64.0

#53 Post by fredx181 »

Updated to version 64.0, added libatomic1 to extra libs (required for v64.0, updating from 63.0.3 to 64.0 isn't possible without it))
Download links replaced at first post.

Fred

mikeslr

firefox Quantum 32-bit: Import Bookmarks hangs it

#54 Post by mikeslr »

Hi fred,

I'm not sure when the problem arose. Usually I boot into Xenialpup64. But have been working with Slacko 5.7.1 the last couple of days where firefox quantum is on /mnt/home; started by clicking ff. As I'm using Slacko 5.7.1 extensively I decided to import bookmarks into version 64. Tried several times, but each time firefox hung and had to be "killed". This happened on two computers.

As I still had the tar.gz for version 63, I unpacked it and again started firefox by clicking the ff script. Same result.

It doesn't matter if I try to import html file, or restore json file.

Attached are a screenshot of the Crash-Window-Notice and a print-out when firefox is started via terminal:

sh-4.2# exec /mnt/home/pup-apps/firefox59/ff "$@"

(firefox:9457): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/firefox-bin:9506): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/firefox-bin:9561): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/firefox-bin:9581): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/firefox-bin:9629): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(firefox:9457): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 10082
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/minidump-analyzer: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/pingsender: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This WAS from firefox 64, and despite the line just above this, libatomic.so.1 is located in the extralibs folder as a symlink to libatomic.so.1.1.0 also located there.
Attachments
Crash-Window.png
Crash notice
(22.76 KiB) Downloaded 1227 times

dancytron

#55 Post by dancytron »

Did you try installing libatomic?

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libatomic1

mikeslr

With libatomic still crashes but reason is different

#56 Post by mikeslr »

Hi dancytron,

Thanks for the idea. I installed Mike Walsh's pet of libatomic. Still crashed. Then copied the libatomic symlink and file from extralibs folder to its parent firefox folder. I'm not sure which "eliminated that objection" but firefox still crashes when an attempt to import a bookmark file is made. However, the terminal read-out is now suggestive:

sh-4.2# exec /mnt/home/pup-apps/firefox59/ff "$@"

(firefox:13895): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/firefox-bin:13949): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup-apps/firefox59/firefox-bin:14003): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(firefox:13895): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed Emphasis supplied.

ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 14232
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...

For the curious, the firefox folder is named firefox59 as I didn't know firefox would upgrade when I created a menu entry.

Mike Walsh

#57 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Mike.

Y'know, this sounds suspiciously like the same problem we had with the Chrome packages some releases back. At one point, Chrome, too, crashed every time an attempt was made to download/upload anything.

peebee gave me a clue when he mentioned about needing this in his Chromium packages. Glib-2.0 requires the 'schemas' to be installed (the critical one here is the 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml' file), and, more importantly, to be 'compiled' each time the browser runs. This post in the Chrome thread from Puppian mjmikulcik confirmed the 'fix', and got me pointed towards a solution...

Peter included the command in the Chromium start-up script; me, being the complete bumbler that I am, couldn't figure out how to do this with the Chrome wrapper-script, so I came up with an alternate method for doing so.

A small script has been placed into /usr/sbin, which runs the 'compile' command. (Don't ask me quite what this actually does; I'm still not clear on the mechanism. If anybody can shed some light on this mechanism, and, more importantly, what it does, I'm all ears!) That script is then sym-linked into /root/Startup to run it each time your Puppy boots. It only needs to be done once per session, and will hold for as many times as you start your browser during that session.

The appropriate 'schemas' have been placed in their own directory in /usr/share, and are 'compiled' by the script in /usr/sbin.

------------------------------------------

This is totally architecture-agnostic, (it's only a bunch of scripts & xml files - no binaries), and hence is designated 'noarch'. I've extracted the appropriate bits from the Chrome package, and have run up a .pet, which I attach below. It'll run in both 32-bit and 64-bit Puppies, and is 'glibc'-agnostic, too.

I'm surprised Firefox is displaying this behaviour.....but then, I've probably never noticed it, since I have Chrome installed in all Pups. Thus, the 'glib_compile' stuff is always there, lurking somewhere in the background.

Use at your own risk, of course, but I very much doubt it'll hurt anything. If this works for you, maybe Fred'll want to build it into the Quantum-portable package.

-------------------------------------

As for importing bookmarks, I've only had to do it once with Quantum. Fred's 'Quantum-portable' sits on my remote data partition, the whole kit & caboodle simply sym-links into each and every Pup I run, and the 'ff' script is started from a custom Menu-Entry .pet I ran up for the purpose, which is installed to each Pup at the same time. I always import manually from a bookmarks html file. I do this because, in the process, I like to create an 'Other Bookmarks' directory, preserving the layout from Chrome on the bookmarks bar. But with 'Quantum-portable', since the profile directory is all self-contained, as I said, I've only needed to do it the once.....

Attachments
glib-2.0_schemas.pet
Glib-2.0 'schemas' stuff.....
(2.87 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

slavvo67

#58 Post by slavvo67 »

Works like a charm in RU Xerus64. Will be adding it for future updates there.

Thanks!!

Slavvo67

mikeslr

#59 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Mike.

Will try it out after breakfast. And, yes, the problem seemed suspiciously like the same one I stumbled over in G-C.

Maybe someone who can attract the attention of the Woof Devs might mention it as the "the fix" will be needed for all modern browsers.

After it showed up in firefox Quantum, I tried running firefox 52.7.0 esr. Same result. Can Palemoon and Seamonkey be far behind?

p.s. Back from breakfast. Worked a charm. :D Posting from firefox quantum having reached the Forum from a bookmark.

Thanks again, Mike.

Mike Walsh

#60 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.
slavvo67 wrote:Works like a charm in RU Xerus64. Will be adding it for future updates there.

Thanks!!
mikeslr wrote:p.s. Back from breakfast. Worked a charm. :D Posting from firefox quantum having reached the Forum from a bookmark.

Thanks again, Mike.
Good, good; glad to hear it's behaving as expected.

Yes, I have to agree with you, Mike. Being as how this looks like it's now going to be a 'prime suspect' for all browsers for the foreseeable future, for the couple of Kb it occupies it may as well be included in new Pups as standard from now on.....and as previously stated, it's architecture-agnostic, so can be used in either.

I think it's fair to say we all of us use either a Chromium-based or a Mozilla-based browser. I don't think there's that many other options, TBH..!

(Needless to say, it's a Gnome thing.....but even after reading this I'm still none the wiser.....) :roll: