Google Earth SFS for Xenialpup/Slacko 560/570/Racy 55

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#21 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ billtoo:-

O-kay. Um; where did you get your version of G.Earth Pro? Off the 'official' download page?

I'm running the older 7.9.3, y'see. I attempted running my save-file with 7.9.7, but the desktop and most of everything else ended up an unholy mess.....and I just don't have the time to painstakingly set it all up again. 'Life' keeps getting in the way!

The problem with G.Earth here is that darned 'Google Earth has caught signal 11' thing.....

Mike. :wink:

Billtoo

#22 Post by Billtoo »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ billtoo:-

O-kay. Um; where did you get your version of G.Earth Pro? Off the 'official' download page?

I'm running the older 7.9.3, y'see. I attempted running my save-file with 7.9.7, but the desktop and most of everything else ended up an unholy mess.....and I just don't have the time to painstakingly set it all up again. 'Life' keeps getting in the way!

The problem with G.Earth here is that darned 'Google Earth has caught signal 11' thing.....

Hi Mike,

I got it in Quickpet of bionicpup64-7.9.7 beta.
Also installed flash from Quickpet which made a few more items in the submenus work.

So there is still a pup that supports Google-Earth (Pro only I guess)

Bill

Sky Aisling

#23 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello :)
Google Earth is running in BionicBeaver-64 on a Dell Inspiron N7010 with 8GB of RAM.
I loaded it this morning from Quickpet.
Google Earth home page is saying there is an update available, with a download link.

Do I take the download from the app link directly?
or
Do I need to have the download in .pet form?

If so, where do I find the latest .pet Google Earth for BionicBeaver-64?
Is there another thread that is a more appropriate place to post this question?

I am looking for the simplest solution.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Sky

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Sky:-

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother. Google aren't putting very much effort into the Linux desktop app any more, since all their globe-trotting efforts are now going into the web-based version.....and that pre-supposes that you're running a separate, "discrete" GPU/graphics card, along with correctly-installed and set-up proprietary drivers on a powerful, up-to-date modern machine. And even then, you're wasting your time, since the only browser in which this will work under Linux is Chrome itself.....and Google candidly stated a couple of years ago that they will NOT enable hardware acceleration in Linux Chrome.

Without hardware acceleration, even on a powerful modern machine, the web version of Google Earth is so sluggish as to be virtually unusable.....the desktop app works miles better, but I would strongly advise sticking with the existing/supplied version; this has been tested to work with Puppy.

You try updating that sucker, you'll not only permanently total Google Earth, you also run the risk of bricking Puppy, too..... All development work for the desktop app, such as it is, is going into the Windows version only.

It's not worth it. And in a couple of years time, Google will "sunset" & switch off the servers for the current 7-series 'Pro' version anyway, which is all that's available for download now.....and when that happens, it'll be the end of the road for Google Earth in Linux. Or at least for Puppy.....

(*shrug*)

The only officially-sanctioned and "approved" method for getting hardware acceleration running in Linux Chrome or Chromium is to gather all the available VAAPI-relevant patches'n'stuff together and compile the browser yourself, from scratch. 'Cos Big Brother has no intentions of helping..!

Sorry it's not better news, but that's the current 'state of play' vis-a-vis G.Earth for us here in Puppy-land :( .

Sky Aisling

#25 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thanks, Mike,

Sigh, I have to constantly remind myself, that someone once said, 'nothing is ultimate'.

Sky

OscarTalks

#26 Post by OscarTalks »

Google-earth-pro stable current 64bit desktop version reports itself as 7.3.3.7721
Works in Bionic64
In my nouveau test machine I have to use boot parameter nouveau.noaccel=1 otherwise it does not display properly (top left postage stamp effect).
I did a slight repack as .pet and .sfs including getting jwm window icon to show.
Uploaded here in case any use.
https://yadi.sk/d/a_pz785f3Lbcuz?force_show=1
Attachments
google-earth64.jpg
google-earth-pro 7.3.3.7721 desktop Bionic64
(90.46 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Oscar in England

Sky Aisling

#27 Post by Sky Aisling »

EDIT: Disregard this post. The Google Earth left-overs were in root. I just missed seeing them.

Thanks Mike Walsh and OscarTalks.
I un-installed Google Earth using Puppy Package Manager.
Now, when I check Graphical Disk Map 0.8.1 there is still debris left over from the original install.
The leftovers are bumping up my root size.
Where in the system is this left-over material?
Pfind says it's root, but, it's not showing in root?
I want to clean Google Earth completely off the OS.

Thank you in advance,

Sky
Attachments
Google Earth Update2.png
(101.64 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Google Earth Update3.png
(46.7 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Sky:-

It's a "hidden" directory in /root. Click on ROX's "eye" icon, and you'll see /root/.googleearth. This is where G.Earth stores its cache.....in the user's home directory. Which for us in Puppyland, is /root.....

pFind doesn't normally display hidden directories.

--------------------------------------------

I must confess, current G.Earth 'Pro' 7.3.3.7721 works absolutely fine for me. This is in Xenialpup64 tonight.....by the simple expedient of downloading the current .deb file, running it through Jake's UExtract, and swapping the /opt/google/earth/pro directory over. Sweet as a nut.

I too, used to get the 'postage-stamp' effect described by Oscar on the old Compaq.

Code: Select all

nouveau.noaccel=1
....used to 'fix' it for me too, but Christ was it slo-o-o-ow. My GeForce GT710 is running the Nvidia driver on this new machine in most of my Puppies, which is probably why I'm not having any issues with it.....and no need of a kernel-line 'fix'.