logite 720p webcam

Using applications, configuring, problems
m005kennedy

logite 720p webcam

#1 Post by m005kennedy »

i have a logitec 720p camera I want to use with puppy. My other laptop have ubuntu studio and it works with no added work. it doesn't even light up on my IBM thinkpad . I am running xenial puppy 7.5. I tried installing cheese but it does not find the camera.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup 7.5 is the 32bit Xenialpup, so I will assume you are using it and not Xenialpup64 7.5 (64bit)

Uninstall Cheese and try this:

Try using guvcview.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 1_tahr.pet
This is a pet package compiled for Tahrpup, but it should work in Xenialpup.

Got the idea from the last post in this topic.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101968

guvcview-1.7.1_tahr.pet is a newer version than the Precise Pet talked about in the above topic.
Xenialpup and Tahrpup are more compatible than Precise.

Help any?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ m005kennedy:-

O-kay. Well, there is a wee bit more involved with getting this to work in Puppy. Actual model no would be a good start, like my own is a c920? Can you give us the output from

Code: Select all

lsusb
...in the terminal, please? If the camera is listed at all, this should give us the device ID, which will allow cross-checking with a web-page that details all this stuff.
m005kennedy wrote:I tried installing cheese but it does not find the camera.
I can't say I'm surprised. I've tried on several occasions to get Cheese working in Puppy, but it seems to have some Ubuntu-specific stuff in there which just doesn't translate to Pup's hardware detection routine.

Let us have that terminal read-out, please. I can soon put you out of your 'misery', one way or the other..! :lol: Bigpup's suggestion is also worth trying; guvcview is pretty 'standard' across Puppies as a web-cam app.

There's also one other you could try; VideoView. It's a wee app that works with absolutely any Linux distro. If this won't detect yr cam, I'll be surprised; most of the more popular Logitech cams are pretty Linux-tolerant when it comes down to it.

Over to you.....

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

need to determine if the Logitech camera is UVC or USB....
this can make a big difference....

I have 2 Logitech cameras one of each....guvcview may not detect the USB type.... it is dependent on the libs present in the system.

V4L2
V4l

try to install VLC and see if you can open the camera as a capture device.
then when successful use menu Tools -> Codec Information to observe in detail what the camera is streaming and how.

install VLC with the PPM and immediate after install open a terminal and type or paste : (to allow running vlc as root)

sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
run VLC from the menu or terminal....your choice.

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

I have an old usb Labtec webcam: it is not uvc. If I attach it then I have to install (if not already installed) libv4l and use v4l2convert.so in preload:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 121#763121

Try for example in console:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
guvcview
or

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
guvcview
Search with pfind the exact path of v4l2convert.so in your puppy.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

There's also one other you could try; VideoView. It's a wee app that works with absolutely any Linux distro. If this won't detect yr cam, I'll be surprised; most of the more popular Logitech cams are pretty Linux-tolerant when it comes down to it.
Videoview worked for me on a camera that I was having problems with.

If you are using a 64bit Puppy version you may need to have the Puppy versions 32bit compatibility sfs loaded.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)