TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mistfire

#721 Post by mistfire »

@don570
Noted and the first post was updated

mistfire

#722 Post by mistfire »

TazPuppy beta 11 released

Changes:
* cookutils is now allowed to install on TazPuppy. This will cook and create slitaz packages (requires devx sfs)
* Progress bar is now shown by default when recharging package database
* Some fixes on freememtray_applet
* Improved USB tethering. It is now plug and play
* Improved networking. Just plug the LAN cable to the computer and the Tazpuppy will automatically obtain IP address from the router or DHCP server if no static ip is assigned.
* More bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GFzVyx ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 606a9fd5328af633f5f83b4b7c212f1b

Build kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aN2ws_ ... sp=sharing

mistfire

#723 Post by mistfire »

I hope that someone here are willing to test the make-devx command. In order to find if the script for making devx module works.

ally

#724 Post by ally »

running it now...

:)

devx successfully completed (devx_tazpup.sfs), being uploaded to https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Tazpup

ally

#725 Post by ally »

just some quick observations whilst running the make-devx

I lost the toolbar, luckily I had a terminal open so was able to command a reboot, the slitaz right click does not bring a full menu

also it took an age to create a 1Gb savefile, powered off after about 4 minutes so I could report back on the devx

:)

edit: deleted and reinstalled, savefile (4gb this time) went without a hitch

mistfire

#726 Post by mistfire »

@ally Im glad to hear that the make-devx script works. I will try to tackle the crashing of lxpanel.

mistfire

#727 Post by mistfire »

CRITICAL BUG: TazPuppy beta 11 unable to reboot or shutdown.
SOLUTION: Login as root and run these command

Code: Select all

killall ethmon
mv -f /usr/bin/ethmon /usr/bin/ethmon.bak

Terry H

#728 Post by Terry H »

mistfire wrote:CRITICAL BUG: TazPuppy beta 11 unable to reboot or shutdown.
SOLUTION: Login as root and run these command

killall ethmon
mv -f /usr/bin/ethmon /usr/bin/ethmon.bak
I had just done a new frugal install prior to seeing this. Shutdown seems to work OK but reboot just hangs.

I did the command as advised but it does not appear to fix issue.

root@TazPuppy:~# killall ethmon
killall: ethmon: no process killed
root@TazPuppy:~# mv -f /usr/bin/ethmon /usr/bin/ethmon.bak
Still unable to reboot, shutdown is OK

mistfire

#729 Post by mistfire »

@TerryH after you follow the procedure did you try to test reboot after you shutdown the system and start again? On my latest experiment the ethmon is now one-shot script, no longer looping. Both reboot and shutdown works but it cant logout. I will try to resolve it as well as auto start of crashed lxpanel.

mistfire

#730 Post by mistfire »

TazPuppy beta 12 released

Changes:
* Critical bug where unable to shutdown or reboot is fixed.
* Improved freememtray_applet
* Autorun lxpanel and pcmanfm desktop when crashed
* Improved ethmon
* New component: user_crond (run shell script periodically, written in bacon)

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jIJxm- ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: e98410cb555a0ac16eb3863964667369

Build kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bCeZYx ... sp=sharing

Terry H

#731 Post by Terry H »

New clean frugal install of beta 12 on Sandisk Ultra Fit USB Flash drive.

Initial setup and shurdown/reboot working fine now (twice each).

I have noticed an issue with pcmanfm, in beta 11 and also 12, which wasn't happening on earlier betas. When I change preferences, I set to open with single click and also use Detailed List View. The single click is not being saved over restarts, the view mode is being remembered as set, but the check box for single click is not being saved as it was set. All other changes during session are saved correctly.

Terry H

#732 Post by Terry H »

My original intention was to post a nice screenshot of the desktop of tazpuppy beta 12, as I usually set up my systems. Unfortunately during the desktop setup I found an issue with Save Manager setting. Setting the Save Interval to +0 does not function correctly for shutdown/Reboot. The shutdown dialogue is not displayed, the screen is dark with backlight on for about a minute (does it timeout?), then shutdown or reboot occurs. The Save / No Save dialogue is not displayed. The changes made during the session are not saved.
Setting Save Interval to 0 or -0 functions as expected.

Note: This function was working prior to beta 11. It may have been the issue I was experiencing with shutdown not functioning correctly with beta 11.
Attachments
Screenshot-Puppy Save Manager.png
(46.58 KiB) Downloaded 370 times

mistfire

#733 Post by mistfire »

@Terry H I noticed that dialogs upon shutdown works on PUPMODE 5 or savefolder. But when the savefile was loaded, the messages and dialogs dont work upon shutdown we need some in-depth research to find out what is the main cause of this problem on loaded savefile. I hope that someone in this forum can figure out this problem

Terry H

#734 Post by Terry H »

mistfire wrote:@Terry H I noticed that dialogs upon shutdown works on PUPMODE 5 or savefolder. But when the savefile was loaded, the messages and dialogs dont work upon shutdown we need some in-depth research to find out what is the main cause of this problem on loaded savefile. I hope that someone in this forum can figure out this problem
This is not what I am experiencing. I only use a save folder and boot with pmedia= ataflash, so PUDMODE = 13. To alleviate this issue, i have set save interval to -0, to not save at all and do manual saves if needed.

mistfire

#735 Post by mistfire »

@TerryH it seems i find now the solution in order to make pupmode 13 ask at shutdown. Im now revising the shutdown script

mistfire

#736 Post by mistfire »

Shutdown script was successfully revised. Ask at shutdown save session for pupmode 13 is now working.

mistfire

#737 Post by mistfire »

TazPuppy beta 13 released

Changes:
* Shutdown script rewritten. PUPMODE 13 and other PUPMODE shutdown features now working.
* Some fixes on freememtray_applet

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l0t_uU ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 33f9d40e09ade1d9c493d55a6d94f706

Build kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11iumCm ... sp=sharing

Terry H

#738 Post by Terry H »

New frugal install on Dell Laptop on 32GB Sandisk Flash Drive. Reboot and created Save Folder successfully. Save Intrval set to +0 functioning correctly. Several reboot /shutdown cycles all OK.

I did pfix=ram boot to also did another Save Folder creation to check Shutdown first. Save Folder created successfully. On a new boot, I changed Save Interval to 0. Several cycles all saves were OK.

There is one issue that I am getting an inconsistency. On each of the setups I set to open with single click and also use Detailed view. When I use the first save folder I set up, it does not remember single click setting, the view setting is remembered. I've set this preference 3 times and it is not saved.

When using the second save folder, both file manager settings are remembered and have not needed to reset.

As it's late now, I will re-check this tomorrow. As I mentioned, this issue with single click has only occurred recently.

mistfire

#739 Post by mistfire »

TazPuppy 5.0 beta 14 released

Changes:
* Improved tazpanel
* Improved tazpkg. Blocked packages are no longer shown on checking package updates
* Geany replaced Beaver editor
* Missing MD5 checksums of some builtin packages is fixed

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NFDZO7 ... sp=sharing
MD5 checksum: c4452b74aa7916a73bc9a09ad3d6562a

Build kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XVNWXu ... sp=sharing

Terry H

#740 Post by Terry H »

Just downloaded beta 14 and did a clean install on Sandisk UltraFit USB Flash drive. installed wifi driver, did basi setup including setting PCManFM to single click and List view. On Shutdown and Reboot (created a second save folder using pfix=ram) all settings saved correctly. Issue I had with PCManFM is OK now. Initial view, all working well.

Thanks mistfire for your work on puppy. Best wishes for the year ahead.