Which color laser printer for me?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
oui

Which color laser printer for me?

#1 Post by oui »

I use since 3 .. 4 years a B/W printer and am happy because it is always start willing and friendly, and as I very rarely use it, it is a lot better as the olds systems being dry if you need it or where the thermo paper become changing under divers influences.

my actual model uses Brother-HL-2035-hl1250.ppd (it is also the model name) and it works perfectly Including recto / verso and direct entry of covers or cards. I can recommend it really. a bit to big, but after finding a place :wink: you can forget that :lol: !

but the reason why I print so rarely is also that it is B/W only ...

so, next Christmas (it will probably come again :?: or will Mr. Trump also change that?) I think about besser my situation as above color laser costs only exactly 100 Euro now.

but I did find today no *.ppd ...

does anybody have experience with it?

greetings
Last edited by oui on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 09:34, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

This webpage offers a direct download of the ppd (amongst all the other options too...)

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ric ... _SP_C420DN

Ooops, sorry - i got the wrong printer. Looks like the C240 is windows only.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

The Ricoh Aficio SP C240DN may be Postscript-capable, so you could use a built-in PPD file from the Generic section of CUPS.

But I can't guarantee that it will work.

oui

#4 Post by oui »

probably is that printer a cribble version using specific function of windows / apple stuff (or common helper of both like adobe. adobe does not really like linux...)?

I did have the same with my good "transparent" old HP scanner able to copy step by step very big pictures (because transparent: you can see which part of the picture you are copying, a terrible good possibility also for musician copying over size partitions, etc.): I did never find a driver for Linux... Windows-only-stuff...

ozsouth

#5 Post by ozsouth »

@oui - can you not find a suitable Brother printer? They are very Linux friendly & usually not expensive. I bought a mono laser multifunction (HL-L2395DW) last week & .deb drivers are online. Several colour options are available.

RedQuine

#6 Post by RedQuine »

For printers, "Windows only" usually just means they've only packaged the driver for Windows. It is usually possible to download the Windows package, extract it in Linux, and find the PPD in there. You can discard the rest of the package.

To set it up in CUPS, follow the instructions at https://www.howtogeek.com/215235/how-to ... -on-linux/

I've managed to install a lot of printers this way. I haven't tried it recently, though.

oui

#7 Post by oui »

RedQuine wrote:For printers, "Windows only" usually just means they've only packaged the driver for Windows. It is usually possible to download the Windows package, extract it in Linux, and find the PPD in there. You can discard the rest of the package.

To set it up in CUPS, follow the instructions at https://www.howtogeek.com/215235/how-to ... -on-linux/

I've managed to install a lot of printers this way. I haven't tried it recently, though.
Oh! good idea really! Thank you for both, idea and link!
ozsouth wrote:@oui - can you not find a suitable Brother printer? They are very Linux friendly & usually not expensive. I bought a mono laser multifunction (HL-L2395DW) last week & .deb drivers are online. Several colour options are available.
Hi Ozsouth,

as I did write, my actual printer B/W IS a brother B/W laser :wink:

(but it was not really friendly to manage: the preinstalled *.ppd in cups are generally not able to work with it! I have found an extra *.ppd and use only that since years in Puppy, Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu or SliTaz since years.

For people having that B/W laser Brother HL 2035:

«See first message of thread marked in colour green: the in the *.ppd preset resolution is wrong (300x300! 600x600 is absolutely needing! why preset an other one :idea: ! It is not logic!).

and I know it can print recto / verso but the option is about never offered / easy to find in Linux :roll: . If I will print B/W, I need no new printer as my HL 2035 works (about) perfectly.»

Note: that is one of the 2 reason why I regret to use Linux instead of Windows:
- no easy recto/verso (in Windows, I did use a shareware making in automatic out a set of 20..30 full size pages ab. 200 x 300 mm a book 100x150 mm or 50 x 75 mm each skrink page with the recto / verso all right! only cut and fold, the book is finish and correct! no that in Linux...
- no IBM-Voice

(Linux is not professional at all :idea: :roll: :lol: )

laser have a bad propriety: they are big.

colour laser have that propriety twice: they are bigger that BW laser :idea:

and the only one possible place is on my desk

(with have a partner desk my wife an I but the second desk is smaller: I did build it with 2 little bed tables from old sleeping room and a panel so the room on the desk with 2 computers, 2 cat baskets (is very important! our cats need permanent attention! In other case, they are on the keyboard... and write :idea: !), 2 lamps, 2 wired phones, 2 coffee cups, a lot of pens and pencils, and a surface to feed the one of both cats, my cat (it will have his 20th birthday next monday, is a cat out the last millenium and last century! cats are the better dogs, I'm sorry Puppys...))

so I am not free to dispose: I must accept to use a printer only if it is finding place on board...

and I know no travelling laser colour ...

greetings

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

RedQuine wrote:It is usually possible to download the Windows package, extract it in Linux, and find the PPD in there. You can discard the rest of the package.
In fact, that's RARELY true. The majority of printers require driver software, so a Linux user needs the Linux version.

A PPD is just a text configuration file.

oui

#9 Post by oui »

thank you dear rcrns51 for that important clarification!

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

@oui: Your Brother HL-2035 works with JUST a PPD file because it uses a driver that is already built into the CUPS system.