Analien - checks for dependencies in .deb programs

For groups of packages that don't all fall under the same category
did18

Analien - checks for dependencies in .deb programs

#1 Post by did18 »

Hello.

(original text click on me)

analien = analyse link

Usually when installing a.sfs program, the programmer ensures that all dependencies related to the proper functioning of the program are installed at the same time as the program on the PC.
But how do you do that if you want to install a program in ".deb" format?
Of course, just double-click on the.deb archive to install it, but that doesn't guarantee that all dependencies will be satisfied...
It is always possible to solve the problem of missing dependencies when the program is installed, but it is usually long and tedious because it is necessary to search for a sub-dependency in another dependency, not to mention that one can forget some and that it will have to start over, in short it quickly becomes discouraging.

Analyst will help you in this task....
To download analien click on me
It is a small program written in gambas3 (so gambas3 must be installed on your PC to be able to use it)

1) - Analien allows you to retrieve all the links of a web page...
If the link points to a package in the format".deb" it will be written in blue, otherwise it will appear in orange...
2) - It is possible (right click on one of the recovered links, then choose "Filter") to filter all links to see only those that meet your needs for example all those containing something_i386. deb plus all those containing something_all.deb (which will be written in the filter *i386.deb|*all.deb)
3) - Now that the filter is established, all that remains is to download all the packages at once (right click on one of the recovered links, then choose "Download").

The "Internet" window is replaced by the "Action Tracking" window which informs you of the status of downloads, and the information line (at the bottom of the screen returns the package being downloaded as well as the overall status of all downloads).
All.deb packages contain (among other things) an.info file.
This.info file contains information about the.deb package (file size, name of the package maintainer, dependencies, description etc.) as its name indicates

When all packages are downloaded (in the Download directory for example), the "Action Tracking" window is replaced by a "File Manager".
Select all or part of the packages and click/drag them into the analysis container (tree) so that the required dependencies are displayed almost instantly for each package. In fact you understood it, it is the.info file of each package that was queried and returned the content of the "depend" line....
Even if all dependencies are displayed with a black circle (which means that the presence of the dependency remains to be checked) this already gives a first assessment.

Among all these dependencies, some are most certainly present in the "Download" directory or in the system directories (nb: You can add directories for searching, right-click on one of the dependencies and choose "Manage directories to analyze").
Start the analysis by right-clicking on one of the dependencies, then "Analyze all the files in the tree")...).
The "File Manager" window is replaced by 3 lists.
- List of available dependencies ((green circle) in general in the "Download" directory).
- List of dependencies available on the disk ((blue circle) in the directories you have predefined).
- List of dependencies not available (red circle) or not found in the directories you have pre-defined and that you will have to search on the Internet).

Right-clicking on one of the items in the list of unavailable dependencies allows you to copy the name of the dependency... Right-clicking on the information line (at the bottom of the screen) allows you to access the Internet windows, action tracking, file manager and thus to search more easily for the dependency that you only need to paste in the search field.

Of course analien is translated into German, English (thanks cogier), Spanish, Italian, Japanese...

Have a good day.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

nosystemdthanks

Re: Analien - checks for dependencies in .deb programs

#2 Post by nosystemdthanks »

cool idea, but the sources arent available in plaintext?

could you include those in the zip file or at least on the project website?
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

did18

#3 Post by did18 »

Hello.

Thank you for the feedback nosystemdthanks.
The sources are available in.zip format under the sourceforge file tab
to download the sources (click on me).

There are only 3 files:
- 003 (which is the verification file used for future updates).
- analien_003-0ubuntu1_all.deb (which is the program file to install on the PC).
- analien-sources_0.0.3.3.zip (which are the sources in.zip format).

NB: Gambas3 is absolutely necessary to read (and modify) the source code!
Gambas3 is available here (click on me), if you don't find a gambas3 version compatible with your puppy system, I can possibly try to recompile a version. (Please tell me the series (Xenial, Precise, Cosmic, Bionic, Trusty, Artful, Zesty, Yakkety, Vivid, or Willy) as well as (32Bit or 64Bit)).

Have a good day.

did18

#4 Post by did18 »

Hello

Version 0.0.4 of Analian is at your disposal.

- Modification / addition of translations....

- The possibility to modify the reasons and display direction of the progress bar in the "info" line.
The user can now display the progress bar from right to left and replace the plain bar with patterns, rectangles, circles and even an image.
In analien, right click on the info line and choose "Information line management".
I agree, it's a gadget...

- It is now possible to search (more finely) for dependencies not present on the hard disk by four modules that are executed one after the other (unless a match is found).
In Analian, when all three lists are displayed, right-click on the list "Dependencies not available" (red dot), then choose the item "Advanced search" (to return to the previous screen right-click on the list "Dependencies not available" (red dot), then choose the item "View lists").
In general, if the dependency was not found during the first analysis, it is unlikely that it will be found here, but a library (for example) with another revision number can be found, which can avoid an unnecessary search.
A brief description of how the modules work is displayed when the search procedure is completed.

- In order to ensure compatibility between large distributions (Debian type, 0ubuntu, Mint etc. and puppy-Linux), I had to add an authentication window (this will not be visible to puppy-Linux users because root commands do not require an mdp). This new window is imposed by using the "find" command (used in the "Advanced Search") which requires administrator rights.

Have a good day.