Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lassar

Has Pale Moon been updated.

#761 Post by Lassar »

I believe pale moon has been updated so the Pale moon updater does
not work anymore.

And now Pale Moon program uses a different folder.

So has pale moon on xenialpup been updated?

666philb

#762 Post by 666philb »

hi Lassar,

open quickpet and click on update
then run the palemoon installer again to update palemoon
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#763 Post by bigpup »

When you get Pale Moon v28.0.0 or above installed.
Updates are built into Pale Moon.
Help>About Pale Moon>Check for Updates
There are now options, in Pale Moon>preferences, for how updates are done.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

linuxcbon

#764 Post by linuxcbon »

Xenialpup64 CE 7.5
- I installed skypeforlinux-64.deb from the official site but it crashes, seems like it doesn't like libdbus.

Code: Select all

skypeforlinux[22317]: segfault at 8 ip 00007fc0894d2600 sp 00007ffe67185638 error 4 in libdbus-1.so.3.14.6[7fc0894bc000+4a000]

Mike Walsh

#765 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ linuxcbon:-

Hm. Perhaps it might be worth trying the libdbus from Bionicpup64? It's a newer version, so it may do something that Xenial's won't.

I've attached the lib (with sym-link) below. It wants to go in /lib (not /usr/lib). If that's where Xenial's libdbus is, move it somewhere for safe-keeping, in case you need to replace it again.

Worth a try, I guess. Personally, I gave up on Skype a while back; too much hassle, and there's plenty of alternatives out there.....though I appreciate the need for keeping it around for communicating with Windoze-centric family & friends who won't try owt else.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
libdbus-bionicpup64.tar.gz
Later libdbus (with sym-link) from Bionicpup64...
(133.99 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

linuxcbon

#766 Post by linuxcbon »

Thanks Mike, I just found out why the latest skype doesnt work in xenialpup.
It's because it needs LOGIND from SYSTEMD !
:lol:

I will try if your libdbus works anyway.

666philb

#767 Post by 666philb »

linuxcbon wrote:Thanks Mike, I just found out why the latest skype doesnt work in xenialpup.
It's because it needs LOGIND from SYSTEMD !
:lol:

I will try if your libdbus works anyway.
hi linuxcbon,

i've added a fix that's in bionicpup for skypeforlinux. it uses elogind but only starts it for skype, then turns it off again when skype closes.

quickpet >>> xenialpup updates then uninstalling and reinstalling skype will activate the fix.

however running skypeforlinux without elogind results in no errors, .. it just doesn't start, which may suggest that the dbus issue is something else... possibly an old pet or sfs that has overwritten xenials dbus.

anyway give the fix a go and see if it works
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

linuxcbon

#768 Post by linuxcbon »

666philb wrote: anyway give the fix a go and see if it works
Yes it works. :)
19/12/2018 skypeforlinux needs elogind to run

mostly_lurking

#769 Post by mostly_lurking »

Is this a bug? Xenialpup 7.5 can't mount xfs filesystems - both 32bit and 64bit versions seem to be affected:
Error when trying to mount an xfs partition
(I have also just tried a 32bit Xenialpup 7.0.6 that I still had lying around somewhere, and got the same error, so it's not just the 7.5 version.)

666philb

#770 Post by 666philb »

mostly_lurking wrote:Is this a bug? Xenialpup 7.5 can't mount xfs filesystems - both 32bit and 64bit versions seem to be affected:
Error when trying to mount an xfs partition
(I have also just tried a 32bit Xenialpup 7.0.6 that I still had lying around somewhere, and got the same error, so it's not just the 7.5 version.)
scroll down to mavrothals post here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... de8347e9bd

note that the pet he made is 32bit only so you'll have to build your own module

mostly_lurking

#771 Post by mostly_lurking »

666philb wrote:scroll down to mavrothals post here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... de8347e9bd

note that the pet he made is 32bit only so you'll have to build your own module
Thanks for the information.

xdpx

live Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 image doesn't show on the TV

#772 Post by xdpx »

The same live stick used on a laptop, shows(projects) the image on the TV also, but it doesn't when the stick is connected to a tablet. I can't check the stick to other device, I have only these two.

Until one month ago, the same stick, but with another install of Xenialpup64 CE 7.5, on the same tablet showed(projects) the image on the same TV also, that installation was done only 3 months ago, with the last download version of Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 from that time.

Suddenly one month ago, without to make any changes, it stopped showing the image on the TV. After I tried a few xrandr commands, a few days ago I formatted the usb stick also, and install from scratch a new downloaded Xenialpup64 CE 7.5. I think the last time I made a hard turn off the tablet directly from the physical button, maybe this could be the reason?

I think the cable between the tablet and the TV can't be the cause, because "xrandr" command detects the HDMI1 - the TV, this cable between the tablet and the TV, is another cable than the one between TV and laptop. The cable between laptop and TV is HDMI to HDMI, and the cable between tablet and TV si HDMI to micro.

When the stick is connected to the laptop, the image on the TV is shown instantly when I turn on the laptop, without to write any other "xrandr" command. The same was 3 months ago, with the before installed Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 on the same stick with the same tablet, with the same HDMI to micro cable, it worked properly and projects the image on the TV instantly without any other commands.

I've tried all these comands:
https://a3nm.net/blog/xrandr.html

Regards.

fanfare

TeamViewer on Xenialpup64?

#773 Post by fanfare »

No such luck here. I tried the portable version. It says it's launching the GUI and teamviewerd process is running but nothing happens after that. No window and Segmentation Fault.

From its own directory I run ./teamviwewr

I get:

root# ./teamviewer

Init...
tee: unrecognized option '--append'
BusyBox v1.23.1 (2016-06-28 10:50:21 BST) multi-call binary.

Usage: tee [-ai] [FILE]...

Copy stdin to each FILE, and also to stdout

-a Append to the given FILEs, don't overwrite
-i Ignore interrupt signals (SIGINT)

Checking setup...
Launching TeamViewer ...
Starting network process (no daemon)
Network process started (20361)
Launching TeamViewer GUI ...
Segmentation fault

//______________

Please help

Thanks much and happy new year! :D

xdpx

#774 Post by xdpx »

The same live stick used on a laptop, shows(projects) the image on the TV also, but it doesn't when the stick is connected to a tablet. I can't check the stick to other device, I have only these two.

Until one month ago, the same stick, but with another install of Xenialpup64 CE 7.5, on the same tablet showed(projects) the image on the same TV. That installation was done only 3-4 months ago, with the last download version of Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 from that time.

Suddenly one month ago, without to make any changes, it stopped showing the image on the TV. A few days ago I formatted the usb stick also, and install from scratch a new downloaded Xenialpup64 CE 7.5. Before working properly(show the image on TV) I think I made a hard turn off the tablet directly from the physical button, maybe this could be the reason, why the tablet doesn't project the image any more on TV?

I think the cable between the tablet and the TV can't be the cause, because "xrandr" command detects the HDMI1 - the TV. This cable between the tablet and the TV, is another cable than the one between TV and laptop(which works properly). The cable between laptop and TV is HDMI to HDMI, and the cable between tablet and TV si HDMI to micro.

When the stick is connected to the laptop, when I turn on the laptop, the image on the TV is shown instantly, without me to write any other "xrandr" command. The same was 3-4 months ago, with the before installed Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 on the same stick connected to the tablet, with the same HDMI to micro cable, it worked properly and projects the image on the TV instantly without any other commands.

Regards.

xdpx

#775 Post by xdpx »

Until one month ago, the same stick, but with another install of Xenialpup64 CE 7.5, on the same tablet showed(projects) the image on the same TV. That installation was done only 3-4 months ago, with the last download version of Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 from that time.

Suddenly one month ago, without to make any changes, it stopped showing the image on the TV. A few days ago I formatted the usb stick also, and install from scratch a new downloaded Xenialpup64 CE 7.5. Before working properly(show the image on TV) I think I made a hard turn off the tablet directly from the physical button, maybe this could be the reason, why the tablet doesn't project the image any more on TV?

I think the cable between the tablet and the TV can't be the cause, because "xrandr" command detects the HDMI1 - the TV. This cable between the tablet and the TV, is another cable than the one between TV and laptop(which works properly). The cable between laptop and TV is HDMI to HDMI, and the cable between tablet and TV si HDMI to micro.

When the stick is connected to the laptop, when I turn on the laptop, the image on the TV is shown instantly, without me to write any other "xrandr" command. The same was 3-4 months ago, with the before installed Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 on the same stick connected to the tablet, with the same HDMI to micro cable, it worked properly and projects the image on the TV instantly without any other commands.

Regards.

xdpx

#776 Post by xdpx »

Hi,

Is this project still alive?
Thank you.

Best wishes.

mikeslr

#777 Post by mikeslr »

Hi xdpx,

Edit: I should have scanned backward from your last post to learn what you were complaining about. Had I done so, I wouldn't have provided the following. But, as newbies sometime wonder about the viability of Puppies, I'll leave it.

I see from bigpup's post next following that he has provided one diagnosis for the problem you have. But you guessed the other. "Before working properly(show the image on TV) I think I made a hard turn off the tablet directly from the physical button, maybe this could be the reason, why the tablet doesn't project the image any more on TV?" Yes. If you did not turn off Puppy's Automatic Save --see this thread, especially the last few pages which pertain to recent Puppies, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 326#662326 a hard-shutdown could have corrupted the SaveFile/Folder resulting in the malfunction of xandr or other applications. If you boot 'pfix=ram' --that is without loading the SaveFile/Folder-- [and perhaps creating a new SaveFile/Folder] can you obtain a proper display?

But, as bigpup's post also may imply, a hard-shutdown can also damage the cable or the cable-port. Hopefully, not the latter.

------

Welcome to the kennels.

It depends what on you mean by "alive". If you mean in development, then the answer is "no, but". If you mean viable. Absolutely.

It is the responsibility of a Dev to publish a functional Puppy. Often they are published in stages: Alpha -- probably has many bugs. Beta -- fewer. RC -- probably none discoverable without feedback by users on the less common computers and computer peripherals such as printers, scanners, etc.. Final. Occasionally, even after a Final release some unusual problem will be discovered and discussed either in the Puppy's Thread or the Bug section. Occasionally the Dev will feel the urge to publish a newer version including all bug-fixes, improvements, innovations, and inspirations since the Final release. Xenialpup 7.5 is such a publication, descended from Xenialpup 7.0.8.

For the last 5 years, Puppies have been modular built: its kernel (power-train) and zdrv &/or zdrv + fdrv, drivers and firmware (nuts & bolts needed to connect a kernel to peripherals) produced separately from its bundle of user-centric applications, Puppy_Version_number.sfs. That make it easy to (about a 5 minute job) to swap-out old kernels, drivers and firmware for new. Puppy devs independently publish new kernels. When a problem --such as the meltdown & spectre viruses-- effecting a kernel is discovered, it is not necessary to publish a new Puppy; merely swap its old kernel and zdrv (& fdrv) for the new.

With two exceptions user-applications contained within each Puppy's Puppy_Version_Number.sfs will probably remain usable long into the future: as long as any peripherals they may employ are available. And with rare exceptions new, improved, versions of user-applications can be installed into 'old' Puppies.

The two exceptions are applications concerning internet browsers and internet security. These are in a constant state of evolution to keep pace with richer content being 'broadcast' and threats being discovered. In order to block malware and access content-rich websites new applications are either recommended or required. For a Puppy to make use of those new applications it must, itself, provide certain components. Sometimes a Puppy can be retro-fitted with them. Sometimes a necessary component can be built into a re-engineered version of the application. But sometimes such component must be within the Puppy, itself, and including that component will 'break' some or many applications which depended on its predecessor component.

Fortunately, the last is not the case with Xenialpup. Nor is it expected anytime in the next several years.

After a Final publication don't expect frequent posts on a Puppy's Thread. Look, instead, for activity on the threads dealing with kernels, security, and web-browsers.
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 18:05, edited 4 times in total.

bigpup

#778 Post by bigpup »

xdpx,

You may not like it, but from what you describe, it does indicate you may have a bad cable.
Port on the tablet clean inside? Same for the cable?
No bent pins or tabs?
Got a different port you could try?

Any other OS on the tablet you could try using?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

d_vineet

swapfilemanager 4.6

#779 Post by d_vineet »

Let me port a subject from this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=59.

This is regarding "how do I alter swapfile size?".

I have Lubuntu + Xenialpup7.5 64bit (frugal install) dual boot on laptop with 4 GB physical memory.,
Installed swapfilemanager 4.6 downloaded from here -- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615
There is swapfile of 4G which was created by installer initially, which I wish to decrease.

while doing frugal install initially, I was asked reg swap file by the installer; I had specified size for that; don't exactly remember size 4 or 2 GiB).

Now I can see 2 related files in /mnt/home/
1) pupswap.swp (4GiB),
2) swapfile (w/o any file extension) (2GiB).
(screenshot of file-manager showing these files is attached.)
I can see the file pupswap.swp getting loaded while booting up puppy.

For altering swap size, firsly I did "swap off".
Then tried to delete file /mnt/home/pupswap.swp using ROX-Filer by rgt-clk.
1) message "ERROR: Operation not permitted".
2) After a few seconds, OS halted with a message flash of "RAM remaining is 0. Pl. consider reboot...".

I then made "swap on". OS again working OK.
It's maybe that we are not supposed to delete pupswap file?

However, I can delete swapfile from ROX-Filer w/o any error.
Then re-created another one by using "swapfile - Manager".

EDIT:-
Upon inspecting with "htop", swap is shown to be 6143GiB.
Means addition of pupswap.swp(4GiB) + swapfile(2GiB)
Screenshot is attached.
Can't understand this puzzle! Can I pl. get advise regarding this? Thanks.
Attachments
swp_screen.png
(147.56 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
htop_screenshot.png
(186.15 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Last edited by d_vineet on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

xdpx

#780 Post by xdpx »

mikeslr

"Welcome to the kennels.

It depends what on you mean by "alive". If you mean in development, then the answer is "no, but". If you mean viable. Absolutely.

It is the responsibility of a Dev to publish a functional Puppy. Often they are published in stages: Alpha -- probably has many bugs. Beta -- fewer. RC -- probably none discoverable without feedback by users on the less common computers and computer peripherals such as printers, scanners, etc.. Final. Occasionally, even after a Final release some unusual problem will be discovered and discussed either in the Puppy's Thread or the Bug section. Occasionally the Dev will feel the urge to publish a newer version including all bug-fixes, improvements, innovations, and inspirations since the Final release. Xenialpup 7.5 is such a publication, descended from Xenialpup 7.0.8.

For the last 5 years, Puppies have been modular built: its kernel (power-train) and zdrv &/or zdrv + fdrv, drivers and firmware (nuts & bolts needed to connect a kernel to peripherals) produced separately from its bundle of user-centric applications, Puppy_Version_number.sfs. That make it easy to (about a 5 minute job) to swap-out old kernels, drivers and firmware for new. Puppy devs independently publish new kernels. When a problem --such as the meltdown & spectre viruses-- effecting a kernel is discovered, it is not necessary to publish a new Puppy; merely swap its old kernel and zdrv (& fdrv) for the new.

With two exceptions user-applications contained within each Puppy's Puppy_Version_Number.sfs will probably remain usable long into the future: as long as any peripherals they may employ are available. And with rare exceptions new, improved, versions of user-applications can be installed into 'old' Puppies.

The two exceptions are applications concerning internet browsers and internet security. These are in a constant state of evolution to keep pace with richer content being 'broadcast' and threats being discovered. In order to block malware and access content-rich websites new applications are either recommended or required. For a Puppy to make use of those new applications it must, itself, provide certain components. Sometimes a Puppy can be retro-fitted with them. Sometimes a necessary component can be built into a re-engineered version of the application. But sometimes such component must be within the Puppy, itself, and including that component will 'break' some or many applications which depended on its predecessor component.

Fortunately, the last is not the case with
Xenialpup64 CE 7.5. Nor is it expected anytime in the next several years.

After a Final publication don't expect frequent posts on a Puppy's Thread. Look, instead, for activity on the threads dealing with kernels, security, and web-browsers. "

Excuse me please, I am not very sure that I understand it well.
For example, regarding the browser, once at 2-3 weeks I download again google-chrome from the official web site and install in from scratch in Puppy, after uninstalling the old version of it.

Now, can someone tell me please, if the rest of Puppy, regarding security for example is Xenialpup64 CE 7.5, does it receive updates?
Is it enough if I click on "quickpet" -> "xenialpup updates" ? How often should I do this?
Are there any differences for how I receive the security updates for a Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 on a persisten usb stick, and one installed on the HDD? For both of them is it enought to click on "quickpet" -> "xenialpup updates"

Regards.