#401 Post by peebee »

Attached is an ndiswrapper pet - it requires a kernel change to 3.16.45:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... 2/download
Attachments
ndiswrapper_1.61-k3.16.45-puppy-32-4g.pet
Kernel must be changed to 3.16.45
(107.92 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

B.K. Johnson

#402 Post by B.K. Johnson »

A couple of questions peebee.
Let's assume that I am changing the kernel in upupcc,
My only prior experience with changing a kernel was the new vmlinuz and zdrv of the new kernel would simply replace the old. That is not the case here.

Exactly what should I do with
  • vmlinuz-3.16.45-puppy4g
    kernel-modules.sfs-3.16.45-puppy4g
produced when huge-3.16.45-puppy4g.tar.bz2 is uncompressed?

Should I just rename them to vmlinuz and zdrv_upupcc_18.10.sfs
reboot, run Grub4Dos then run the ndiswrapper pet?
TIA for your guidance.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

peebee

#403 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:Exactly what should I do with
  • vmlinuz-3.16.45-puppy4g
    kernel-modules.sfs-3.16.45-puppy4g
produced when huge-3.16.45-puppy4g.tar.bz2 is uncompressed?
Should I just rename them to vmlinuz and zdrv_upupcc_18.10.sfs
Yes
reboot, run Grub4Dos then run the ndiswrapper pet?
Yes - but no need for grub4dos - just reboot
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rockedge

#404 Post by rockedge »

swap kernel made easy ...tested and works great in peebee's Bionic series...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101144

script download http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=90829

the script might already be on board so worth a check

B.K. Johnson

#405 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
A short advisory:
The latest ndiswrapper offering works but there are some strange outputs I want to investigate and identify whether they are ndiswrapper related or upupcc..
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

B.K. Johnson

#406 Post by B.K. Johnson »

The attached screenshot is copied from this post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56#1008778

by chrisbear in the upupcc thread and to which I added marked-ups in red. The items underlined or red-circled are similar to what I see when I use Net Wizard. Note that my system does have a wireless PCI card but it is not being used. lspci rightfully does not recognize it. Yet, a wireless PCI is what is identified at the NetWizard output, which is similar to that in the screenshot and which I can't identify. Chris can confirm whether his driver is properly named and his interface is an USB or PCI.

I have also plugged in, an USB wireless adapter which lsbusb recognizes. Furthermore, there is no doubt that it is the USB that is connected for on removing the adapter from the port, I lose the connection.

It may be that this is neither a upupbb nor ndiswrapper related issue, but I am posting here for continuity. Subsequent postings may well be made in the upupcc thread.
Attachments
Realtek%20wireless.jpg
NetWizard screen similar to what I get.
(63.06 KiB) Downloaded 1302 times
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

Brown Mouse

#407 Post by Brown Mouse »

rockedge wrote:swap kernel made easy ...tested and works great in peebee's Bionic series...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101144

script download http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=90829

the script might already be on board so worth a check
And I still don't understand !
These latest Puppys contain no less than 5 sfs files...adrv sfs..fdrv sfs..ydrv sfs..zdrv sfs and upupbb sfs.

Do they all need changing??

peebee

#408 Post by peebee »

Brown Mouse wrote:And I still don't understand !
These latest Puppys contain no less than 5 sfs files...adrv sfs..fdrv sfs..ydrv sfs..zdrv sfs and upupbb sfs.
There is a README in the iso to explain....

The kernel comes in 2 files - zdrv and vmlinuz

My kernels have firmware in the fdrv (other people's kernels include firmware in the zdrv - you can normally tell by the size if so).

The fdrv is kernel (and architecture) agnostic and can be used with many kernels and doesn't have to be changed.

So if you're changing to another of my kernels all you have to change is the vmlinuz and zdrv.

Brown Mouse

#409 Post by Brown Mouse »

peebee wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:And I still don't understand !
There is a README in the iso to explain....

The kernel comes in 2 files - zdrv and vmlinuz

My kernels have firmware in the fdrv (other people's kernels include firmware in the zdrv - you can normally tell by the size if so).

The fdrv is kernel (and architecture) agnostic and can be used with many kernels and doesn't have to be changed.

So if you're changing to another of my kernels all you have to change is the vmlinuz and zdrv.
Thank you peebee.

Terry H

#410 Post by Terry H »

B.K. Johnson wrote:The attached screenshot is copied from this post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56#1008778

by chrisbear in the upupcc thread and to which I added marked-ups in red. The items underlined or red-circled are similar to what I see when I use Net Wizard. Note that my system does have a wireless PCI card but it is not being used. lspci rightfully does not recognize it. Yet, a wireless PCI is what is identified at the NetWizard output, which is similar to that in the screenshot and which I can't identify. Chris can confirm whether his driver is properly named and his interface is an USB or PCI.

I have also plugged in, an USB wireless adapter which lsbusb recognizes. Furthermore, there is no doubt that it is the USB that is connected for on removing the adapter from the port, I lose the connection.

It may be that this is neither a upupbb nor ndiswrapper related issue, but I am posting here for continuity. Subsequent postings may well be made in the upupcc thread.
I haven't read any previous posts regarding this issue, so apologies if this may have been already covered. I don't have this wifi card, but was looking through the upbb fdrv.sfs and noticed there is an rtlwifi folder, which contains what may be firmware for your card. I would have thought that it should be identified and loaded directly.

Do you have the fdrv loaded?
Firmware is not included if the fdrv is not loaded.

Edit: Does dmesg identify anything regarding the driver?

dmesg|grep wifi OR dmesg|grep r8188 OR similar?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Mounted fdrv showing rtl8188eu firmware.
(89.08 KiB) Downloaded 1263 times

peebee

#411 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson

#412 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Terry H
First, apologies for not responding before. I had to be switching berween upupcc without my regular tool-set and tahr with them. Full complement not yet installed, but enough to spend more time in upupcc.

You wrote:
...I don't have this wifi card, but was looking through the upbb fdrv.sfs and noticed there is an rtlwifi folder, which contains what may be firmware for your card. I would have thought that it should be identified and loaded directly.
Just in case you missed it Terry, that screenie is for chrisbeard's card. A screenshot of my card is attached to this post. As can be seen, it shows Wireless PCI when it should be USB. Following your lead, I looked in upupcc's fdrv but did not find enx204e... Feel free to check it out.
Do you have the fdrv loaded?
Yes!
Does dmesg identify anything regarding the driver?

dmesg|grep wifi OR dmesg|grep r8188

Code: Select all

# dmesg|grep wifi
# dmesg|grep enx204e
ndiswrapper: interface renamed to 'enx204e7fee1f18'
# 
So, it is ndiswrapper that names the driver.
@peebee
Over to you.
Attachments
wireless_usb_shown_as_pci.png
unknown driver name shown as Wireless PCI although interface is USB.
(36.08 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

perdido

#413 Post by perdido »

Peazip 6.6.1 precompiled works great in upup bionic beaver.
It handles the latest compression methods available from rar and 7zip
and many others & complements what UExtract does not handle.

I am using the PeaZip for Linux x86 6.6.1 GTK2 version available at top of this page
http://www.peazip.org/peazip-linux-x86.html
No extra dependencies needed for GTK2 version.
I used this one --->https://osdn.net/dl/peazip/peazip_6.6.1 ... 2_i386.deb

Additional plugins available for ace, rar,arc, etc, available at this page.
The addaitional plugin for rar is not really needed but available.
Info & plugins available on this page.
http://www.peazip.org/peazip-add-ons.html

Sources are available at this link if you want to compile your own,
--->https://osdn.net/projects/peazip/downlo ... 1.src.zip/
to compile you will need to track down the missing dependencies though.

peebee

#414 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:So, it is ndiswrapper that names the driver.
If you don't like the new interface naming see post #2

B.K. Johnson

#415 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Thanks for the link peebee. Got it, but could you explain for this ignoramus the source of this new naming? Is it from the firmware name? Just curius.
TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

peebee

#416 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:Thanks for the link peebee. Got it, but could you explain for this ignoramus the source of this new naming? Is it from the firmware name? Just curius.
TIA
Debian - Ubuntu thing:
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfigur ... face_Names

peebee

#417 Post by peebee »

rockedge

#418 Post by rockedge »

I use a boot parameter to use predictable interface names with : net.ifnames=0
more info here -> https://askubuntu.com/questions/628217/ ... te-kernels

Grub4Dos menu.lst entry ->

title BionicZM-C 18.05+20 (sda4/BionicZM-C)
  find --set-root uuid () acc8a5ba-3340-43e8-9d4c-b09ef6b299d1
  kernel /BionicZM-C/vmlinuz  pdrv=acc8a5ba-3340-43e8-9d4c-b09ef6b299d1  psubdir=/BionicZM-C pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck net.ifnames=0
  initrd /BionicZM-C/initrd.gz

Marv

#419 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:08c31bba366bc83de0ba456903bb1d1b upupbb-18.05+21.iso

{delta}

Just more ubuntu updates....
Smooth update from 20 to 21 on the Fujitsu S761 i5 laptop. I continue to use the 32b 4.9.134 kernel from upupcc with no problems here.

# uname -a
Linux puppypc20747 4.9.134-lxpup-32-pae #1 SMP Fri Oct 19 10:37:59 +08 2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

tallboy

#420 Post by tallboy »

I have been playing with saves to a multisession CD, and I am very satisfied with the UPupBB. You've done a great job, peebee. :D With a support time spanning the next ten years, I think it will be my main Puppy for a long time. But, I have a problem. The initial .iso burnt to the CD was a upupbb-18.05+1.iso, and I have added 4 sessions to the CD. I don't use a savefile. Is it possible to update a live multisession CD-R to the latest edition, using the delta updates and reverse_updates, and keep the multisession saves? The saved session directories are dated, and they cannot just be moved into a new .iso.
Any suggestions?

Edit:
peebee suggested I make a new thread to raise this question, so any futher development may not be mentioned here, unless I actually remember to update you guys and gals! :D
New thread here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 87#1012687 I would suggest that those of you wanting to remaster, or modify a live UPupBB in any other way than by updates, read the posts there.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.