A Puppy Version kinda in the middle for older hardware

Booting, installing, newbie
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64-7.5 is also fantastic and snappier I might add but doesnt support 32 bit computers like my IBM Thinkpad with 1280 megs of RAM and Intel 1500M processor.
There is a 32bit version of Xenialpup 7.5.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106479
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cretsiah

#22 Post by cretsiah »

problem with 32-bit systems with less than 2-4gig ram now, is that webpages can use 2gig of ram on their own.

I dont know about the graphics rich side of it, but turn java script off and see the difference in page load times, turn it on again to see how much page you lose.

any system i have with less than 2gig of ram now has to be job specific, so it might be for

- retreiving files from a hard drive
- experimental ideas
- old school nostalga
- web/media server

nosystemdthanks

#23 Post by nosystemdthanks »

cretsiah wrote:problem with 32-bit systems with less than 2-4gig ram now, is that webpages can use 2gig of ram on their own.
more than a quibble: this is not a problem with 32-bit systems with < 2 gb ram, this is a problem with webpages.

even with noscript, browsing the web on a system that has only 1gb of ram can be slow. there are various things that help-- though nothing helps more than a less bloated web and less bloated browser.

for reasons other that friendliness to machines with 1gb or less, we should get on that one of these days. maybe a proxy that throws out cruft is the way to do it.

if i never used another 1gb machine id say the same thing.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]