Building Devuan 2.0.0 ASCII using Wiak's script (Solved)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
superchook

Building Devuan 2.0.0 ASCII using Wiak's script (Solved)

#1 Post by superchook »

I see from DistroWatch (June 18th) that Devuan 2.0.0 ASCII has been released so I thought I would see if I could make a DevuanPup using Wiak's makepup script.

My computer has 8 GB RAM and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 64+ and a WDC WD10EZEX-00B Hard Drive.

I have several frugally Puppies installed but for this experiment chose my day-to-day one i.e. Xenialpup64 7.5.
I created a new directory "Make_a_Puppy" and cd into it.
Doing ./makepup -g brought up the gui to set up the configuration.
The first box allows you to select one of two woof branches, testing or rationalise. I do not know what either of these provide but left the default selection namely testing. For the next three boxes i selected:
target architecture 3:x56_64
distro base 2:devuan
release version 1:DevuanAscii
The next box was problematic. None of the huge kernels mentioned devuan in the title so I selected 25:huge-4.4.70-s64-700.tar.bz2
From the Advanced tab I selected devx and unticked -k before clicking
Build your Pup
The script ran and ultimately produced many files and directories but one of the directories was woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_trusty64 containing, one level further down, a tahr64-6.0.6.iso

What did I do wrong?
What is the most appropriate woof-CE branch and are there more than the two offered?
What is the correct huge-kernel choice?
Last edited by superchook on Fri 06 Jul 2018, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I think if you use regular woof-CE instructions it will work, and it will automatically grab a kernel built from dpup stretch during ./3builddistro-Z. It sounds like wiak's script is somehow out-of-sync with the choices in woof-CE (which I think someone reported before), might make more sense to report this issue in wiak's actual makepup thread so they see it.

peebee

Re: Building Devuan 2.0.0 ASCII using Wiak's makepup script

#3 Post by peebee »

superchook wrote:What did I do wrong?
There is no 64-bit devuan build specified in woof-ce - only 32-bit.....

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... distro/x86

master should now be the branch to use....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

superchook

#4 Post by superchook »

Thanks for the pointers. I will now experiment further.

wiak

Re: Building Devuan 2.0.0 ASCII using Wiak's makepup script

#5 Post by wiak »

peebee wrote:
superchook wrote:What did I do wrong?
There is no 64-bit devuan build specified in woof-ce - only 32-bit.....

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... distro/x86

master should now be the branch to use....
I've kind of lost track of this though was thinking of checking all the combobox numbers if and when BionicPups recipe(s) appear on woof-CE github.

Are the current combo-numbers in sync with testing branch and does it all go into disarray for master branch selection (which I'm thinking it will since different distros listed in master branch)? I note that testing branch remains the most recent updated by far so also wondering about above comment that "master should now be the branch to use".

Once I know the overall situation I'll look into makepup update - always involves a fair bit of testing work so I rely on appropriate feedback to makepup thread or nothing likely to be fixed by me.

wiak