Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Feb 2019, 03:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
kernel compiling in woof-ce
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 37 of 37 [549 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 35, 36, 37
Author Message
stemsee

Joined: 27 Jun 2013
Posts: 2300
Location: In The Way

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 09:31    Post subject:  

compiled kernel-4.18.12-rt5-x86_64
improved configuration for most CPUs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
Revolverve


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 212
Location: 45°17'28.8"N 72°16'08.8"W_avatar/ mira.ca

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2018, 02:58    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
compiled kernel-4.18.12-rt5-x86_64
improved configuration for most CPUs

i would like to test that rt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rockedge


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 944
Location: Connecticut, United States

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2018, 16:41    Post subject:  

Revolverve wrote:
stemsee wrote:
compiled kernel-4.18.12-rt5-x86_64
improved configuration for most CPUs


i would like to test that rt.


I really would like to test it out as well!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
stemsee

Joined: 27 Jun 2013
Posts: 2300
Location: In The Way

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2018, 21:09    Post subject:  

Hi Rockedge and Revolvere

I will try to provide a download link .... currently travelling and have not uploaded, or if I did then deleted it!

stemsee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
Revolverve


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 212
Location: 45°17'28.8"N 72°16'08.8"W_avatar/ mira.ca

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2018, 21:23    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
Sharing packages directory containing, huge, kernel-modules, vmlinuz, sources, md5s, for kernel-4.18.9-rt5-x86_64
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ThHkCzCpHT-9BmMo9RieAwyr-ZqaSf6u

Did not test that one too..
links says.... its in owners trash,ask Mr. C. to restore it...an easy one!

Enjoy your trip!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
stemsee

Joined: 27 Jun 2013
Posts: 2300
Location: In The Way

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2018, 04:54    Post subject:  

Revolverve wrote:
stemsee wrote:
Sharing packages directory containing, huge, kernel-modules, vmlinuz, sources, md5s, for kernel-4.18.9-rt5-x86_64
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ThHkCzCpHT-9BmMo9RieAwyr-ZqaSf6u

Did not test that one too..
links says.... its in owners trash,ask Mr. C. to restore it...an easy one!

Enjoy your trip!

Restored!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 19:06    Post subject: Re: kernel compiling in woof-ce
Subject description: unattended mode
 

stemsee wrote:
Sukk (stems unattended kernel kit) derived from woof-ce kernel kit by Iguleder > 01micko: builds x64 i686-pae and i486-nopae kernels (consecutively), or official .deb image/kernel packages.

EDIT: SUKK-2 is now available. Re-organised code and directory structures. No separate build.conf files to fiddle with. Builds 3x and 4x kernels.


I'm giving the scipt a try now. I need to add the following options:
Code:

I/O accounting support (CONFIG_TASKSTATS, CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT, CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110510&start=495

so that iotop will work. I will edit this post based on whether or not I'm able to figure this part out.

Edit 1 In my opinion the script should pause after the '.config' is written so that one can make manual edits. Also, one should be able to skip all the questions if they already have a '.config' file.

Edit 2 I checked the '.config' output and it seemed to set the options that I wanted
Code:

CONFIG_TASKSTATS=y
CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT=y
CONFIG_TASK_XACCT=y
CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING=y


I looked in the original /boot/config-4.9.30 for slacko 6.9.9.9 and these options weren't in the config file. Therefore the output of the script in the original post of this thread might solve my issue without modification.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2019, 00:53    Post subject: Re: kernel compiling in woof-ce
Subject description: unattended mode
 

s243a wrote:
stemsee wrote:
Sukk (stems unattended kernel kit) derived from woof-ce kernel kit by Iguleder > 01micko: builds x64 i686-pae and i486-nopae kernels (consecutively), or official .deb image/kernel packages.

EDIT: SUKK-2 is now available. Re-organised code and directory structures. No separate build.conf files to fiddle with. Builds 3x and 4x kernels.


I'm giving the scipt a try now. I need to add the following options:
Code:

I/O accounting support (CONFIG_TASKSTATS, CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT, CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110510&start=495

so that iotop will work. I will edit this post based on whether or not I'm able to figure this part out.

Edit 1 In my opinion the script should pause after the '.config' is written so that one can make manual edits. Also, one should be able to skip all the questions if they already have a '.config' file.

Edit 2 I checked the '.config' output and it seemed to set the options that I wanted
Code:

CONFIG_TASKSTATS=y
CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT=y
CONFIG_TASK_XACCT=y
CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING=y


I looked in the original /boot/config-4.9.30 for slacko 6.9.9.9 and these options weren't in the config file. Therefore the output of the script in the original post of this thread might solve my issue without modification.


When I tried to boot with the kernal that was generated I got the following error:
squashfs: SQUASHFS error: Filesystem uses "xz" compression. This is not supported

I wonder if I did anything wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2019, 00:53    Post subject: Re: kernel compiling in woof-ce
Subject description: unattended mode
 

s243a wrote:
stemsee wrote:
Sukk (stems unattended kernel kit) derived from woof-ce kernel kit by Iguleder > 01micko: builds x64 i686-pae and i486-nopae kernels (consecutively), or official .deb image/kernel packages.

EDIT: SUKK-2 is now available. Re-organised code and directory structures. No separate build.conf files to fiddle with. Builds 3x and 4x kernels.


I'm giving the scipt a try now. I need to add the following options:
Code:

I/O accounting support (CONFIG_TASKSTATS, CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT, CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110510&start=495

so that iotop will work. I will edit this post based on whether or not I'm able to figure this part out.

Edit 1 In my opinion the script should pause after the '.config' is written so that one can make manual edits. Also, one should be able to skip all the questions if they already have a '.config' file.

Edit 2 I checked the '.config' output and it seemed to set the options that I wanted
Code:

CONFIG_TASKSTATS=y
CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT=y
CONFIG_TASK_XACCT=y
CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING=y


I looked in the original /boot/config-4.9.30 for slacko 6.9.9.9 and these options weren't in the config file. Therefore the output of the script in the original post of this thread might solve my issue without modification.


When I tried to boot with the kernal that was generated I got the following error:
squashfs: SQUASHFS error: Filesystem uses "xz" compression. This is not supported

I wonder if I did anything wrong. I copied the kernal and kernel-modules to the boot folder. I renamed the kernal modules from: kernel-modules.sfs-4.9.30-PuPpYx86_64 to zdrv_slacko64_6.9.9.9.sfs.

Edit 1 the script seems to delete the '.configure' file, which means you can't check the options after it is built.

Edit 2I found where the configure file is saved by looking at line 273 of the script.
Code:

mv -f .config ../configs_extra_user/DOTconfig-64

Now if I look at my DOTconfig-64 file I see.
Code:

CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_GZIP=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_BZIP2=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_LZMA=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_XZ=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_LZO=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_LZ4=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_GZIP=y
# CONFIG_KERNEL_BZIP2 is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_LZMA is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_XZ is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_LZO is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_LZ4 is not set


I'm guessing the bottom items which are commented out yer should say "y". Let's see what happens if I manual edit this and re-run the script.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 37 of 37 [549 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 35, 36, 37
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1874s ][ Queries: 13 (0.1117s) ][ GZIP on ]