Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 11 Dec 2018, 11:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
installing Libreoffice in Slacko 6.3.0 32
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2018, 16:01    Post subject:  

Daft as it sounds, I find the 3-series LO's to run smoother & lighter on most of my 32-bitzers. Luckily, I have no need for M$ 'compatibility'..!

(For the rare occasions when I need that level of 'compliance', I run SoftMaker's FreeOffice 2016 as a 'portable' from a USB stick...)

Mike. Wink

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2018, 17:16    Post subject:  

As a alternative to a full blown office suite such as LibreOffice, if your needs are light then some browsers such as sea-monkey come with a html editor; Alternatively a light-weight html/javascript file can serve as a text editor - which nowadays is what I use as I have little to no need for spreadsheets, presentation ...etc.

Bash in the text using a simple text editor initially focusing on the words. I then convert that to html by inserting a few html insert files (header, footer, justified paragraphs); Then adjust that as necessary so it looks good (layout) in a browser (maybe including some images). Before finally printing that 'web page' to file as a PDF ... for distributing/sharing.

This for instance is my header html include file content, that sets the page up with a margin and where the text is justified
Code:
<HTML>
<BODY>
<TABLE><TR><TD WIDTH="5%"></TD><TD><P ALIGN="justify">

I like chromium as my browser as that is run in a restricted environment (secure), so using it as a text editor/word processor, mp4 player, PDF viewer/creator, calculator ...etc. also has those included under the same security umbrella. Fundamentally I just use chromium in X now, and use the console for pretty much everything else (running tmux so it has multiple windows, with tabs along the top ... similar to chrome, mc file manager and mc -e text editor). So chromium is pretty much my X desktop and I ctrl-alt-F4 to a console (tmux/mc) session and ctrl-alt-F5 back to X/chrome again as desired. Very minimalist (and very quick), whilst being as functional as many of the much more heavily bloated alternatives.

When your 'word processor' is fundamentally text based, then you can enter that using even very light weight devices. I can ssh connect from a mobile phone for instance to add to existing text and where that new text might have been captured using mobile phone voice to text type tools/methods.
s.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   49.73 KB
 Viewed   59 Time(s)

s.jpg

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2018, 17:33    Post subject:  

@ Mike Walsh. Not really daft. Or we both are, which is likely. But I had made the mistake of deleting my 3-series SFS and couldn't find another. So I switched to Apache OpenOffice. I've since switched back to LibreOffice 6 which seems to be snappier than 5.

@ EdD: Thought you should know that I used to be able to run LibreOffice as an External (Program Folder). It should work with a Full Install. Just download one of the files directly from the LibreOffice site and unpack it on the same partition/drive where your Slacko is located, NOT within any other folder. The basic steps are spelled out here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=507532#507532. Short version:

1. Create a bash script for each of LibreOffice's applications somewhere 'on the path': /usr/bin will do. It's a one liner which, using LibreWriter as an example, would look something like:

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/libreoffice6.1/program/swriter "$@". [I don't run Full Installs. But wonder if it may be necessary to change "home" to specify whatever drive/partition your Full-Installed Slacko sees itself being located on.

Make sure their permissions are set to executable.

2. Place appropriate icons somewhere such as usr/share/icons or /usr/share/pixmaps.

3. At /usr/share/applications create desktop files for each application. You can use Abiword's and gnumeric's desktop files as templates. Just rename each desktop file appropriately. Then open each in geany/txt-editor and change three arguments:

Name=LibreOffice Writer (or Spreadsheet or Draw, etc)
Icon=FULL_PATH_TO_ICON/name_of_icon.ending (e.g. jpg, png, svg)
Exe=FULL_PATH_TO_YOUR_SCRIPT/name_of_script.

That should work until you have the opportunity to switch to Frugal. But, no guarantees. I don't know how much LibreOffice has been managed since the 3-series when I last did this.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2018, 18:07    Post subject:  

Still some 3-series L.Office packages here, if you're interested in trying them again:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79039

3.5.3 is the version I'm using. It also comes with a 'print manager'.....which is quite useful. Works fine with all 5-series Pups up as far as Raring; Tahrpup turned its nose up at it, giving errors in the terminal, and wanting at least a 4- or 5-series LO before it was happy.

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: