Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 10 Dec 2018, 00:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Dropbox only supporting ext4 for syncing folders in Linux
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Author Message
labbe5

Joined: 13 Nov 2013
Posts: 1519
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018, 19:01    Post subject:  Dropbox only supporting ext4 for syncing folders in Linux
Subject description: How To Use Dropbox On Non-Ext4 Filesystems
 

Dropbox has ended support for folder syncing to drives with "uncommon" filesystems, which on Linux means anything but Ext4. As a result, Linux Dropbox users can't synchronize files if the Dropbox folder is on Btrfs, Ext3, ZFS, XFS etc., and even eCryptfs on top of an Ext4 filesystem.

In case you can't switch to a different cloud storage provider or use an Ext4 filesystem without eCryptfs for your Dropbox folder location, you can use a simple tool, called dropbox-filesystem-fix, that works around this Dropbox limitation, allowing the Dropbox desktop client to continue synchronizing files, no matter the filesystem type in use.
Source : https://is.gd/P94y61
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 11208

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 10:21    Post subject:  

For those affected this does not affect
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1321772247&t=90753

or my web based script or anything else that use use dropbox apis for access.

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 16:01    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
For those affected this does not affect
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1321772247&t=90753

or my web based script or anything else that use use dropbox apis for access.

mike


Thanks for the tip mikeb. I noticed that I'm not able to use drobox on TazPup because the version of glib is too old. I might try a workaround like chroot or LD_PRELOAD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Argolance


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3481
Location: PORT-BRILLET (Mayenne - France)

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2018, 06:49    Post subject:  

Bonjour,
s243a wrote:
I noticed that I'm not able to use drobox on TazPup because the version of glib is too old. I might try a workaround like chroot or LD_PRELOAD.

I reformatted my partition from ext3 to ext4. Now, I have the same problem running Puppy Precise. I tried to solve this without success.
LD_PRELOAD and for example Arrow the tricks detailed here...
But maybe I did things wrong. Rolling Eyes
A work around would be great.
Quote:
chroot

??
Cordialement.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Argolance


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3481
Location: PORT-BRILLET (Mayenne - France)

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2018, 07:24    Post subject:  

I finally succeeded while following these steps: Very Happy
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=68050&start=12 wrote:
I have dropbox working, without rebuilding glibc, or patching dropboxd with patchelf.
Here's what I did.
Create dropboxcheat.c with this code
Code:
const char *gnu_get_libc_version (void)
{
        return "2.19";
}

compile the dropboxcheat .so
Code:
gcc -Wall -fPIC -shared -o dropboxcheat.so dropboxcheat.c

move the .so to /usr/local/lib64/
add this line in dropbox.py, right before subprocess.Popen....., in function start_dropbox
Code:
os.environ['LD_PRELOAD'] = "/usr/local/lib64/dropboxcheat.so"

Run dropbox normally and it should ask to relogin.

HTH.
Pablo.

On my side, I adapted and copied the lib to /usr/lib/, then ran:
Code:
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/dropboxcheat.so" dropbox

... rather than modify dropbox.py and it works fine!

Cordialement.
dropboxcheat.so.gz
Description  To be renamed without .gz
gz

 Download 
Filename  dropboxcheat.so.gz 
Filesize  6.62 KB 
Downloaded  27 Time(s) 

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2018, 04:23    Post subject:  

Argolance wrote:
I finally succeeded while following these steps: Very Happy
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=68050&start=12 wrote:
I have dropbox working, without rebuilding glibc, or patching dropboxd with patchelf.
Here's what I did.
Create dropboxcheat.c with this code
Code:
const char *gnu_get_libc_version (void)
{
        return "2.19";
}

compile the dropboxcheat .so
Code:
gcc -Wall -fPIC -shared -o dropboxcheat.so dropboxcheat.c

move the .so to /usr/local/lib64/
add this line in dropbox.py, right before subprocess.Popen....., in function start_dropbox
Code:
os.environ['LD_PRELOAD'] = "/usr/local/lib64/dropboxcheat.so"

Run dropbox normally and it should ask to relogin.

HTH.
Pablo.

On my side, I adapted and copied the lib to /usr/lib/, then ran:
Code:
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/dropboxcheat.so" dropbox

... rather than modify dropbox.py and it works fine!

Cordialement.


Nice trick Smile I much lighter weight approach than installing a second version of glibc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Argolance


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3481
Location: PORT-BRILLET (Mayenne - France)

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2018, 06:59    Post subject:  

Hello,
After bypassing the Ext4 and Glibc problems, there are other complications: Dropbox now requires libxcb (-dri3, -present...) libs more recent than the Precise's ones and libxshmfence.

Arrow Here is a patch that solves this, (libxcb 1.10 version compiled on Puppy Precise) and allows, for a while longer to use Dropbox.

Cordialement.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0671s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0120s) ][ GZIP on ]