Xenialpup64 7.5 XL - 26 August 2018

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
koulaxizis

Xenialpup64 7.5 XL - 26 August 2018

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

Xenialpup64 7.5 XL

Disclaimer: I'm not a programmer, nor a developer - not even a power-user. I just wanted to share a "snapshot" of my current system with you, through this "XL" Puppy. You can find a previous effort of mine, here.

Download, have fun and feel free to leave some feedback, if you wish. :)

Thanks in advance for your time and thank you all for being such a great community and making Puppy the best linux distro.

Size: 1.1 GB

Removed:
- Palemoon
- Claws Mail
- Simple GTK Radio
- Hexalate
- Gplanarity
- IQpuzzle
- PicPuz
- Rubix
- MtPaint
- Abiword
- Gnumeric
- Pplog
- DidiWiki
- HexChat
- PuppyPhone
- Cgtkcalc
- Osmo
- DeadBeef
- PmCPUtemp
- Ycalc
- Pdict

Added:
- Latest bugfix (3)
- Firefox 61.0.2
- Thunderbird 52.9.1
- Spotify 1.0.66.478
- Latest Steam Client
- 32bit Compatibility
- Gimp 2.8.16
- Cursor themes 1.1
- Rambox 0.5.17
- Nextcloud 2.3.3
- Libre Office 6.1.0
- Gxlat 0.4
- Java 8u144
- JOSM 14066
- Firmware 20180804

[ Download ]

pp4mnklinux

fantastic work

#2 Post by pp4mnklinux »

My congratulations.- You had made a really good work.

CONGRATS !!
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi koulaxizis,

Just passing on some ideas for your next Puppy. I haven't tried Xenialpup64 7.5 XL yet, but with one exception I liked your decisions about what to remove and what to add.

An operating system should be easy for a user to customize and should provide years of service. Only us crazies enjoy having to break in a new OS. Your additions --such as 32-bit compatibility and java-- eliminated guesswork and stumbling blocks. The applications you removed are easy to install if a user wanted them.

An OS should have some Web-browser OOTB, and firefox quantum is a good choice for any computer on which Xenialpup64 can be run; especially if version 61 is upgradable.

I could quibble about including Gimp. My preference is to use an SFS, replacing it as and when some new "bell or whistle" worth having shows up. But frankly, hardly anything has changed since version 2.6.

Building in LibreOffice, on the other hand, I think was a questionable decision. It substantially increased the size of the ISO and consequently the amount of bandwidth required to get it. Some users won't need it. And for those who do, an SFS is readily available. In fact, even if there were no SFS, LibreOffice can be run as an external application: download from the publisher, unpack the deb or rpm and create symbolic links. Moreover, the publishers of LibreOffice seem to have gotten their "act in order". While providing some new 'bells & whistles" the 6 series seems to require less computer resources than the 5. A couple years from now the 7 series may be even better.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

Good to see you back.

I ran the Slacko5.5-XL as my first puppy. Near duplicate of the Xandros that came with my eeePC's. Transparent is a good word.

Busy with my own derivative based on SLacko5.7.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

It is a nice collection you put together to add. And it is handy to have them all together.
I did not know JOSM yet and I like it, Thnx.

Otoh, I do like some of the removed programs like hexchat and puppyphone.

If you gave the added apps as one .sfs for xenialpup64, best of both worlds would be just a click away.
Just a suggestion.

pp4mnklinux

INSTALLED

#6 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi, koulaxizis:

I installed your distro, because I liked the speed (I was using the normal XENIALPUP 64 7.5 but it was slowly day by day).

Till now I'm very happy with your work.

CONGRATS, AND THANKS
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0