Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 01:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to "RecordMyDesktop"...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018, 14:10    Post subject:  

Had this already available for and used in LazY Puppy (Lucid based).

LP2_GtkRMD038.sfs

LP2_GtkRecordMyDesk-0.3.8.1-tahr.sfs

Don't know about the versions beyond Tahr but Tahr's version still is at 0.3.8 (0.3.8.1).

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018, 16:07    Post subject:  

@ RSH:-

Essentially, you'll find it's version 0.3.8.1 throughout the entire Linux ecosphere.

Reading between the lines here on the project's webpage at Sourceforge, the project pretty much ground to a halt some 10 years or so ago. There's been no development on RecordMyDesktop for the better part of a decade.....and I doubt there ever will be again, since multiple other applications have essentially 'taken its place' (like SimpleScreenRecorder, which uses PulseAudio.....itself in standard use throughout the mainstream Linux desktop world).

It's only 'holdouts' (like us!) who haven't 'conformed' to the expected 'standard'.....and thus have to develop all these 'workarounds' for audio stuff.

Keeps us out of mischief, I suppose..... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Mike. Wink

ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018, 20:05    Post subject:  

Hey Mike.

I know there's a topic somewhere you'd made about how'd you make those interesting GIF images shown in your signature.

Can you please point me to it?

Re: pulse audio

I don't like it, as I never did get it to work. I seem to recall RecordMyDesktop was using Jack Audio (at least the Lucid version)?

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018, 21:30    Post subject:  

@ RSH:-

Are you talking about the actual 'scrolling LED display' itself? That's the only part you have to get done elsewhere, plus a visit to ezgif.com to fine-tune the image the way you want it. The rest was just careful, painstaking work using Mooi's 'PhotoScape', running under WINE for all the background image work, followed by working in the GIMP to put it all together, and embed the GIF in the background image.

To make your 'scrolling LED 'message'', head over here:-

http://wigflip.com/signbot/

There's a limit to the number of characters you can have in a single 'message'; as you can see from my sig, I have two. You can only embed a single GIF image into a PNG/JPG with the GIMP, so I actually did some very clever editing and construction in the GIMP, in order to be able to sit two images side by side in the Signature Control Panel using the Forum's BB code. The end result being that the two images appear as one.....

In total, there's probably about 3½ hrs work there, including scouting around on YouTube to find a tutorial for using the GIMP to embed GIf images into another static image.

-----------------------------------

To recap:-

Visit http://wigflip.com/signbot/ to create the scrolling 'message'.

Then visit https://ezgif.com/ to edit the scrolling GIF(s) you've just created. You can resize, change the speed they run at, alter the appearance (colour, contrast, brightness, greyscale enhancement, etc.....just about everything you can think of, really); stuff like that.

Then you need to construct your backgrounds, using your preferred graphics editor. You can probably do all this with Inkscape/the GIMP; I only use PhotoScape because

a) It's really versatile, and full-featured, and
b) I got so handy using it under Win XP that when I switched to Puppy, I was very pleased to find out it's one of the relatively few Windows apps that runs in WINE with no loss of functionality.

Finally, use the GIMP to 'embed' the GIF image into your static 'background' image. You may find this 'GIMP Toots' video quite informative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnwFBx5hkv0

Let us know if any of that helps.

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: