How I run Opera Mini on desktop/laptop

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mike Walsh

#41 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Nick:-

Thanks for this, mate. This is fun; I like it, I really do. (Probably for the same reasons I like QtWeb.....because it's different.)

Please find below a link for a .pet package for Opera Mini, with microemulator-2.0.4 at /, MicroScript in /root/my-applications/bin, and a Menu Entry in Menu->Internet. Also a link to a current JRE, in both 32-bit & 64-bit SFS packages..

-----------------------------------------------------------

Opera Mini:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jRwu9_ ... sp=sharing

Java Runtime Environment 8_181:-

32-bit:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jRwu9_ ... sp=sharing

64-bit:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/18gvkBd ... sp=sharing

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#42 Post by nic007 »

Just as a mention. This can run with a very old JRE, so if you have a very old machine with limited resources this could still work with an old JRE.

nic007

#43 Post by nic007 »

GusCE6 wrote:Great news- using that command window line (the shorter one!) Opera Mini 8 does work on the old Sony VAIO (2001) in Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid mode.

If there's a problem it's with images. Trying full screen mode does not work; the vertical always reduces so the images are merely colored squares. Putting it in 640 x 480 mode does the trick, strangely enough 800 x 600 does not.

It's still a work in progress, of course- if there was a simple file to click to get the works running instead of having to type it in each time that would be nice, and I'll have to figure out how to make the window larger, but today the old Sony can browse reasonably safely now.

Thanks to everyone here.

:wink:
Shouldn't be, I run in 1280x800 mode. Follow the instructions in the first post to the letter, that will be your best chance of success. There is a limitation though - if you have a very large page to load with many pictures not all pictures will be displayed and perhaps not all the text either. I think the limit of the page displayed is limited to 2MB (compressed) but I'm not sure. Still very useful for general browsing though.

Dorothée

#44 Post by Dorothée »

Hello Perdido,

Like you, I could not log on Puppy Forum with Precise.

Is this really a problem with Java? My version is 11.102.1.

It shoult be interesting to know if someone else manage to log with another puplet than Precise, or if there is a congiguration to change.

Histoire à suivre... à bientôt, thanks,

nic007

#45 Post by nic007 »

I have no problem logging into the forum running Opera Mini with Tahr 605. I also had no problems logging in with Precise and the standard browser (seamonkey).

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Nic:-

A query - if I may?

Can't quite figure out how you zoom a page in or out. Is there a way to do it.....and if there is, what's the trick? I've tried every combo I can think of; nothing seems to work.

(Of course, it's possible there's no mechanism to do this, I suppose...)

nic007

#47 Post by nic007 »

I don't think there is a zoom feature. I just set fonts to large and maximize the screen to my laptop's native resolution and select fullscreen in settings. Evenso - the print is still rather small (remember this is for mobile devices). However, you can of course set your screen to a lower resolution like 800x600 which will make everything bigger. Takes a bit of time to adjust to the look but I'm so used to it by now.

Mike Walsh

#48 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Nick:-

No, that's fair enough. Setting the fonts to large has done the trick. It's much easier to read now.

Cheers. Oh, while I think of it; is that config.xml file the only config file it uses? If so, I'll probably place that remotely, then sym-link it into each Pup where I use this.....I have JRE in all Pups anyway, so will probably install this in 'em all. It's not exactly large, is it? :)

Thanks again for this.

nic007

#49 Post by nic007 »

Well, that's mostly the configuration file. Some things are saved in the suite- Opera Mini folder also in .microemulator

perdido

#50 Post by perdido »

nic007 wrote:I have no problem logging into the forum running Opera Mini with Tahr 605. I also had no problems logging in with Precise and the standard browser (seamonkey).
Which version of JRE is loaded when you can login with the Opera Mini?

.Just having it fail in Opera Mini, nothing else.

Thanks

Mike Walsh

#51 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ perdido:-

I'm running this across a kennel-full of mixed 32- and 64-bit Pups, with a single ~/.microemulator directory sym-linked into all from a remote partition. No problems logging into the forum n any way.

The version of JRE in use is the current version 8, update 181. You can find SFS packages, both 32- and 64-bit, from my GoogleDrive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

You'll also need the Control Panel for it; it's the 'javaif' .pet in the same folder.

(That's if you can bring yourself to interact with Google, however briefly! :lol:)

Dorothée

#52 Post by Dorothée »

Mike Walsh, Thank you,
your pet is mush better than my sfs. I could log in without updating java.

nic007

#53 Post by nic007 »

perdido wrote:
nic007 wrote:I have no problem logging into the forum running Opera Mini with Tahr 605. I also had no problems logging in with Precise and the standard browser (seamonkey).

Thanks

I use jre-6u26-1-i386.pet which I converted to an sfs file. I'm almost certain your login problems is not related to JRE as I have used numerous versions of JRE before with Opera Mini.

perdido

#54 Post by perdido »

nic007 wrote:
perdido wrote:

Thanks

I use jre-6u26-1-i386.pet which I converted to an sfs file. I'm almost certain your login problems is not related to JRE as I have used numerous versions of JRE before with Opera Mini.

You are right about the JRE version not being the cause, just operator headspace needed adjusting.
Was advancing from the login to password box by hitting enter, tried it with mouse only and it works and posting with it now.

:

nic007

#55 Post by nic007 »

BTW - there are useful shortcut keys for browsing. Probably the most used: press 2 on keyboard for page up ; 8 for page down.

GusCE6

#56 Post by GusCE6 »

I've gotten Opera Mini 8 and two other JAR files (games) running this way.

I'm wondering, can APK files be run with this, or is there an equivalent SFS setup that can?

nic007

#57 Post by nic007 »

I think I should mention that running Opera Mini is not Puppy version specific. I've been using the same setup from Puppy 412.