Solved Where can I find Double Commander file manager?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tosim

Solved Where can I find Double Commander file manager?

#1 Post by tosim »

Am just starting out with FatDog64,v721, but not new to Linux. (I've settled with Mint-MATE, as my main OS, but still keep dl'ing new and different iso's to checvk them out. For about 2 months now, I've "played" with many Puppies, and now have come to FatDog64,v721, which has really taken my interest. I would like to install Double Commander,preferably, or another dual pane commander type file manager, if necessary. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.
Last edited by tosim on Thu 08 Nov 2018, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, tosim.

Welcome aboard!

Sorry, I am not familiar with Double Commander. Perhaps you could compile it
for your FatDog or ask someone to compile it for you?

Failing that, off the top of my head, I'd say: look if you have versions of emelfm2,
muCommander*, or Midnight Commander available in your FatDog repo?

IHTH. BFN.

~~~~~~~~~
* Please note that muCommander requires a java JRE to run.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ITSMERSH

#3 Post by ITSMERSH »

Just want to mention

4Pane
XFE

Keef

#4 Post by Keef »

You can just download the version you want (qt, qt5, or gtk2, 32 or 64bit). Extract it, then just click on the doublecmd binary or the doublecmd.sh launcher script. These are 'portable' downloads, so don't need installing. You won't get a menu entry.
I've had a copy of Double Commander knocking around for ages, but rarely use it. I just collect these things, just in case.

mikeslr

Creating a Menu Entry

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Just following up Keef's post. I don't run FatDog or use Double Commander. But the following can be applied to any "portable" application.

1. Decide where you want to locate it and place it (or decompress the package and move the files into its own folder) there. The /opt folder is often used. But that take up space in a SaveFile or SaveFolder. As I run several Puppies, I locate portables in a folder on /mnt/home where they can be used by more than one. So, on my system, the folders for portables are located in /mnt/home/Pup-Apps.

You can survive without a Menu entry. Just bookmark the folder in rox so that it's easy to reach the executable.

2. There are one to three files needed to create a Menu entry: (1) a desktop file at /usr/share/applications is always needed. (2) An icon which will appear next to the applications listing on the Menu, or as perhaps the only "reminder" of what clicking it will start if you add the application to a panel/taskbar. Any icon will do, one already on your system or one you download or create. I usually employ icons in "png" format as every Puppy can use them. A new icon can be placed anywhere. But, for consistency I locate them in either /usr/share/icons or /usr/share/pixmaps and one other place I'll mention below.

(3) Some applications can be "called" by merely specifying where the executable is located as part of the Exec argument in the Desktop file. Others, perhaps depending on the Puppy, will require a executable bash script located "on the Path" providing that information. "On the Path" means any "bin" or "sbin" folder, e.g. /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/sbin. Puppies, I think including FatDog, provide a unique location "on the Path" for applications unique to Puppies: /root/my-applications/bin. That's the 3rd place I locate icons, as doing so --and cut&paste-- saves a couple seconds when creating Desktop files.

To create a bash script using rox as file-manager, merely Right-Click an empty space where you want the file to be and from the Popup Menu select New>Script. A Desktop file is just a text file located at /usr/share/applications with the ending ".desktop".

Puppies menu categories are unique. The easiest way to make certain an application will appear where you want it is to copy the Category argument from the Desktop file of an application already appearing there.

As examples of the above, my portable Firefox Quantum uses this as its Desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=firefox64_portable
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/mozicon129.png
Comment=firefox web browser from mnt/home
Exec=/root/my-applications/bin/firefox_portable
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Internet-browser
GenericName=firefox web browser

Its bash-script at /root/my-applications/bin/ reads:
#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/Pup-Apps/firefox59/ff "$@"

I wasn't aware that firefox quantum could update. Today, If I wanted to locate its folder in /opt, the exec line would read:

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/firefox/ff "$@"

If I had placed the firefox folder in /opt and had not used a bash script "on the path", perhaps this desktop file would have sufficed:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=firefox64_portable
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/mozicon129.png
Comment=firefox web browser from mnt/home
Exec=/opt/firefox/ff "$@"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Internet-browser
GenericName=firefox web browser

proebler

#6 Post by proebler »

Midnight Commander version 4.8.19 is part of FatDog 721.
Run it from terminal : mc
Hope this helps,
proebler

tosim

Double Commander

#7 Post by tosim »

Thanks so much to ALL OF YOU for the replies. I don't know where my head was when I posted the request, but I guess I was thinking of one of the other Puppies I've been playing around with. Believe it or not, shortly after I made the original request, I went to the DC url, downloaded and installed the portable "doublecmd-0.8.4.gtk2.x86_64.tar.xz", easily. Again, thank you all for the (quick), assistance.
I'm not sure how to show this as"Resolved"??

B.K. Johnson

#8 Post by B.K. Johnson »

You asked:
how to show this as"Resolved"
Click on the edit button in the thread and add Solved or Resolved to the title of your post. As the originator of the thread, only you can edit the title.