Pizza Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
profolio

Pizza Puppy

#1 Post by profolio »

First I'd like to say that the new Pizza Puppy is quite a surprise. Very slick. Congrats. My only problem with it is that after an hd install X refuses to start. Even the wizard stalls after the xorg config. I'm getting an error message < understack display 0 > or something of that nature. Booting from the cd is flawless so I'm wondering if I have a corrupted xorgconf file
what I should look for and what to do about it.
Thanks
Michel

MU

#2 Post by MU »

this underflow appears if xorg.conf misses some lines, like for example the one with the driver.

Run from CD, mount the harddrive, copy xorg.conf there.
So from
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
to
/mnt/hda1/etc/X11/xorg.conf

The full harddrive installation is less well tested than "CD mode" or frugal installation (which is almost identical to running from CD).
So the risk is higher, that not every program might work as expected.

Mark

profolio

Re underflow

#3 Post by profolio »

Thanks Mark but it didn't work apart from a fleeting glimpse of the background and then it reverted to the prompt. I even tried with a xorg.conf from Seamonkey full drivers and I still get the < stack underflow> <cannot open display 0> error.
Michel

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Maybe it did not copy the required module?

/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/

You might attach your xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log (from the harddrive!) , so that we can see what exatly is the problem.

More tomorrow, time to go to bed.
Mark

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

The full harddrive installation is less well tested than "CD mode" or frugal installation (which is almost identical to running from CD).
So the risk is higher, that not every program might work as expected.
Especially in Pizzapup, as that has had even less testing then Puppy. I don't use full-hd install, so I don't know much about it. I did modify the install scripts slightly to use the correct filenames, but that wouldn't cause this problem.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

profolio

re stack underflow

#6 Post by profolio »

Here's the xorg.conf but I don't see a /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Michel

profolio

Re: re stack underflow

#7 Post by profolio »

profolio wrote:Here's the xorg.conf but I don't see a /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Thanks.....I ultimately decided to follow a good friend's advice.... wipe clean, reformat the partition and reinstall and this seems to solve my problem which could've been related to a faulty install.
Again thanks for a snappy distro.
Michel

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

No problem, and I'm glad it worked. :D

Though the snappy-ness should be credited to Barry. If anything, I slowed it down a little by using more complicated themes.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

profolio

Re: re stack underflow

#9 Post by profolio »

In retrospect, I don't know if this could be a factor related to my problems or could be helpful but the original install was done on an ext3 part whereas the reinstall was done on an ext2.
As for the slight lack of speed, it's barely noticeable and the polished look more than makes up for it.
Michel