Xenialpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Mike Walsh

#41 Post by Mike Walsh »

Right. I'm in Xenial64 myself now, so I want you to follow what I say to the letter.

Can you right-click on the save-file icon in the taskbar, and select 'Resize personal storage file'.....or won't the icon let you? You said something about it disappearing.....?

Mike. :wink:

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#42 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Right. I'm in Xenial64 myself now, so I want you to follow what I say to the letter.

Can you right-click on the save-file icon in the taskbar, and select 'Resize personal storage file'.....or won't the icon let you? You said something about it disappearing.....?

If I right click the PSF in the taskbar it disappears..see Screenshot
Attachments
PSF.jpg
(85.02 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

Mike Walsh

#43 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm. I don't like the look of that.

It seems as though when you created the save-file, you simply went with the default settings.....and created an ext2 save-file (that's the .2fs at the end). That's okay (ish), but an ext 2 save-file has a nasty habit of corrupting very easily....and because ext2 doesn't use a 'journal' (like ext3/4 do), you cannot recover it in the event of 'melt-down'.

For this to work correctly (and so that Xenial will keep working as long as possible), you really ought to re-create a new save-file.....and this time, when it asks you what format to use, choose the 'ext3' one. You do need to look at what the windows are asking you to do, Ralph; you must break the Windows habit of simply clicking 'OK', 'OK', 'OK' to everything. The options are there for a reason.....they're not just there for window-dressing..!!!

This will mean deleting your existing save-file, re-booting Xenialpup in 'factory condition' (as it were), and shutting down straight away/creating a new save-file. Are you OK with doing that? You may as well do this first as last, because otherwise you'll end up doing this anyway sooner or later.....

mikeslr

#44 Post by mikeslr »

deleted, already covered.

Mike Walsh

#45 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-

Reading through the other thread, about the Personal Storage File, I notice no-one actually mentioned to Ralph what format to use for it. Don't forget, this is somebody used to the Windoze way of doing things, where 99% of folks simply click, click, click the default 'OK' buttons just to get through things as quickly as possible.

Which isn't always in the individual's best interests! :roll:

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#46 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Mm. I don't like the look of that.

It seems as though when you created the save-file, you simply went with the default settings.....and created an ext2 save-file (that's the .2fs at the end). That's okay (ish), but an ext 2 save-file has a nasty habit of corrupting very easily....and because ext2 doesn't use a 'journal' (like ext3/4 do), you cannot recover it in the event of 'melt-down'.

For this to work correctly (and so that Xenial will keep working as long as possible), you really ought to re-create a new save-file.....and this time, when it asks you what format to use, choose the 'ext3' one. You do need to look at what the windows are asking you to do, Ralph; you must break the Windows habit of simply clicking 'OK', 'OK', 'OK' to everything. The options are there for a reason.....they're not just there for window-dressing..!!!

This will mean deleting your existing save-file, re-booting Xenialpup in 'factory condition' (as it were), and shutting down straight away/creating a new save-file. Are you OK with doing that? You may as well do this first as last, because otherwise you'll end up doing this anyway sooner or later.....

THANK YOU!!!
I need to make certain I deleted the Save file. Refresh me on where or how and to create another that asks for ext3/4.

File size to save at shut down? 512, 1GB, etc...I'm on that window now. Chose ext3 Next step would be to OK that and the amount of space you suggest I use?
Do you use a Firewall?
They make suggestions along the way like saying 512 is a good choice. I don't know if it is or not, but am tempted to choose defaults as you said.
Waiting patiently for the next steps.
Window says First shutdown: creating save-file
xenialpup64save_ralf.3fs in sdal1
Last edited by Nanosecond on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ralph:-

The size I would recommend (for now) is 4 GB (4096 MB).

Make certain it's ext3.

Why the question about the firewall? It's quite some time since I created a new save-file, so you might have to refesh my memory for me.....but AFAIK, the firewall is nothing to do with the save-file.

If you've done this correctly, you should have deleted the save-file, re-booted back into a 'factory-standard' Xenialpup, then shut down straight away.....at which point you should now be going through the steps for creating a save-file again. Correct?

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#48 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Ralph:-

The size I would recommend (for now) is 4 GB (4096 MB).

Make certain it's ext3.

Why the question about the firewall? It's quite some time since I created a new save-file, so you might have to refesh my memory for me.....but AFAIK, the firewall is nothing to do with the save-file.

If you've done this correctly, you should have deleted the save-file, re-booted back into a 'factory-standard' Xenialpup, then shut down straight away.....at which point you should now be going through the steps for creating a save-file again. Correct?

Thank YOU!
xenialpup64save_ralf.3fs in sdal1, please wait awhile...
I assume it will Shut down when its complete? Or what should i expect or need to do at that point?

It is finished and Shut down.

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

Okay.

Boot back into Xenial64. Just to confirm, hover your mouse over the save-file icon on the tray. What does it now say.....and is it still 'disappearing'?

ITSMERSH

#50 Post by ITSMERSH »

To write a 4GB save file to USB flash drive will take some time, some more time.

@all involved

Since he's running Xenial64 why not to explain how to install Puppy Linux
manually from CD into a directory on that USB flash drive, using GParted to
format the USB flash drive to ext3 and to use a save folder instead of a save file?

It isn't that hard -even for a beginner- to follow such advise just one times and being able to install any Puppy wanted afterwards...

Just out of curiosity...

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#51 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Okay.

Boot back into Xenial64. Just to confirm, hover your mouse over the save-file icon on the tray. What does it now say.....and is it still 'disappearing'?

Thank You Mike.
it says 3.9 GiB personal Free space 3.8 Gib
No Internet connect indicated yet. Just a red X over the top of the tiny screen in the taskbar.
Attachments
Resize at next Reboot.jpg
(80.73 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

Mike Walsh

#52 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Lazy:-

I agree; that's a worth-while 'project' for the near-future. But let's just get Ralph up-and-running with a basic, 'traditional'-style Puppy first, hmm?

I mean, USB sticks aren't exactly ruinous to buy these days. Ralph can use this one to keep in touch on the forum in the meantime.....and, if he's interested in your suggestion, it's easy enough to work on your idea while this one's holding the fort.

After all, as we all know.....two Puppies are better than one!

-----------------------------------------

Now, then. Although most people usually run things like Chrome as an SFS package (which can be loaded/unloaded 'on-the-fly' - no re-booting or anything required, and it doesn't occupy 'Puppy-space' (which is the name we give to the save-file)), I am aware that you're more used to the Windows way of doing things. Point-and-click, right?

Just to get you going for the moment, we'll be using the .pet package I now produce for Chrome. For long enough I only produced this as an SFS package, due to its size.....but recently, certain people have requested it as a .pet package, for some of Barry K's recent creations, which can't make use of an SFS.

It's just like a Windows .exe file, Ralph; download it, then click to install. Like the Chrome 48 package you've been using in Tahrpup.

You can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/144VYJC ... sp=sharing

Download it; then 'click to install'. Couldn't be simpler. When it's installed, it should fire up from the Menu. Menu->Internet->Chrome browser.

Let us know how you get on. Get this working, then (if you're interested), we'll discuss ITSMERSH's suggestion about using another USB stick, formatted to ext3, and using the save-folder.

It never hurts to have more than one Puppy; if anything goes wrong with one of them, you can use the other one to fix it..!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 00:10, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#53 Post by Mike Walsh »

Double-post; sorry!

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#54 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Lazy:-

I agree; that's a worth-while 'project' for the near-future. But let's just get Ralph up-and-running with a basic, 'traditional'-style Puppy first, hmm?

I mean, USB sticks aren't exactly ruinous to buy these days. Ralph can use this one to keep in touch on the forum in the meantime.....and, if he's interested in your suggestion, it's easy enough to work on your idea while this one's holding the fort.

Now, then. Although most prople usually run things like Chrome as an SFS package (which can be loaded/unloaded 'on-the-fly' - no re-booting or anything required, and it doesn't occupy 'Puppy-space' (which is the name we give to the save-file)), I am aware that you're more used to the Windows way of doing things. Point-and-click, right?

Just to get you going for the moment, we'll be using the .pet package I now produce for Chrome. For long enough I only produced this as an SFS package, due to its size.....but recently, certain people have requested it as a .pet package, for some of Barry K's recent creations, which can't make use of an SFS.

It's just like a Windows .exe file, Ralph; download it, then click to install. Like the Chrome 48 package you've been using in Tahrpup.

Download it; then 'click to install'. Couldn't be simpler. When it's installed, it should fire up from the Menu. Menu->Internet->Chrome browser.

Let us know how you get on. Get this working, then (if you're interested), we'll discuss ITSMERSH's suggestion about using another USB stick, formatted to ext3, and using the save-folder.

It never hurts to have more than one Puppy; if anything goes wrong with one of them, you can use the other one to fix it..!

Cordiali Saluti,
I have no Internet connect yet. how can I download it on that computer? Share a clue with a dummie and please don't stone me..
:wink:

I ticked the red X in the taskbar and it showed some kind of wifi connection and shifted to a Please wait...> interface now activated..do i use Palemoon to copy and paste the link for Chrome? :roll:

Nanosecond

Re: Xenialpup

#55 Post by Nanosecond »

Nanosecond wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:@ Lazy:-

Now, then. Although most prople usually run things like Chrome as an SFS package (which can be loaded/unloaded 'on-the-fly' - no re-booting or anything required, and it doesn't occupy 'Puppy-space' (which is the name we give to the save-file)), I am aware that you're more used to the Windows way of doing things. Point-and-click, right?

Cordiali Saluti,
I have no Internet connect yet. how can I download it on that computer? Share a clue with a dummie and please don't stone me..

I ticked the red X in the taskbar and it showed some kind of wifi connection and shifted to a Please wait...> interface now activated..do i use Palemoon to copy and paste the link for Chrome? :roll:
Dear Mike! Thank you beyond any words I could express to you...Your a genius with this Linux/Puppy program.
Last Questions:
a) do I need the firewall turned on?
b) When I sign off the correct thing to do is. Menu>Exit?Shutdown? correct?
I wish you were closer by I'd offer you dinner, Italian Gianduia chocolate, whatever your heart desires. The one thing I can and will do is pray for you and any specific prayer requests of needs you have anytime night or day.
God Bless You Richly.
Your friend...
Raphael

Mike Walsh

#56 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah! Sounds like you're 'up-and-running'. Last questions<>last answers (then I'm turning in for the night).

Yes, do activate the fireall. For now, a 'default' firewall will do fine; right-click the 'shield'->Firewall Setup->Click 'Apply'.....and the shield should turn green, to show it's active. This is on a default, 'generic' setting; if you need ports open for specific applications, we can tell you how to at a later date.

To power-off, yes; Menu->Exit->Shutdown. It may take a couple of minutes, as you're aware; it takes a wee while for the 'save' to be written to the 'save-file' (you should notice periodic 'saves' during your session, too).

Catch you later; I'm off to bed. If needs be, later on I'll explain some of the additional features that are included with the Chrome package; why they're there, what their function is, and how you use them.

As for 'genius'; I think I'll pass on that one. All part of the service for Puppians. I'm a long-term Chrome user myself- ever since version 1, over 10 years ago - which is why I started these 64-bit packages a couple of years ago, since nobody else was doing them at the time. I've had a lot of help from some very knowledgeable people during that period, and I refuse to take credit for their invaluable contributions.

a_salty_dogg

#57 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Mike,

Did you notice, unless a typo, he's created the savefile on his hard drive?
xenialpup64save_ralf.3fs in sdal1, please wait awhile...
Not a problem except he's not going to be able to share data across his computers that way.

Maybe tomorrow's the time to learn to reformat the flash drive and copy the ISO over, as ITSMERSH suggested, while it's conveniently unmounted, then learn to drag the savefile over to it?

Sorry, helluva big learning curve, I know! :)

Regards & admiration, dogg.
Last edited by a_salty_dogg on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#58 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Ralph:-

Ah! Sounds like you're 'up-and-running'. Last questions<>last answers (then I'm turning in for the night).

Yes, do activate the fireall. For now, a 'default' firewall will do fine; right-click the 'shield'->Firewall Setup->Click 'Apply'.....and the shield should turn green, to show it's active. This is on a default, 'generic' setting; if you need ports open for specific applications, we can tell you how to at a later date.

To power-off, yes; Menu->Exit->Shutdown. It may take a couple of minutes, as you're aware; it takes a wee while for the 'save' to be written to the 'save-file' (you should notice periodic 'saves' during your session, too).

Catch you later; I'm off to bed. If needs be, later on I'll explain some of the additional features that are included with the Chrome package; why they're there, what their function is, and how you use them.

As for 'genius'; I think I'll pass on that one. All part of the service for Puppians. I'm a long-term Chrome user myself- ever since version 1, over 10 years ago - which is why I started these 64-bit packages a couple of years ago, since nobody else was doing them at the time. I've had a lot of help from some very knowledgeable people during that period, and I refuse to take credit for their invaluable contributions.

Not all of us can be shining stars..in fact God had some pretty interesting "nobody's" change the coarse of the world we live in today. And if we are wise we'll pay more attention to that..and finally realize who we really are without God.
Blessing's from my heart to all of you...
Raphael

bigpup

#59 Post by bigpup »

Nanosecond,

Understand we only know what you tell us.
Just to make sure you have the Xenialpup64 7.5 install on the USB drive correct.

Boot with the Xenialpup64 7.5 USB drive.
Left click on the desktop drive icon for sdb1.
It should open a Rox file manager window showing what is on sdb1.
Is it showing the xenialpup64save-ralf.3fs on sdb1?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#60 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Salty:-
a_salty_dogg wrote:Regards & admiration, dogg.
Huh?? Admiration for.....what? Image

Don't be daft, man. Nowt to admire here (definitely not for my poor efforts).....unless it's the browser package you're 'admiring'. And that's something of a 'team effort' by several individuals over the last couple of years.....many of whom are way more knowledgeable than I will ever be. I will only take credit for putting it together; I won't take credit for all the contributions that have gone into it.....but then that's where community forums like this come into their own. We all help each other out; pool ideas; share advice, tips & tricks; some of us produce packages for everybody else's benefit (some of which work better than others, I'll be honest. I've produced my fair share of 'lemons'!)

But it's all a rather enjoyable 'learning curve', and (God willing) we learn from our mistakes, and hone our skills with the passage of time.....

---------------------------------------------------

As for the save-file being on sda1.....I'm sure that's a 'typo'. Look at Ralph's screenshot, a few posts back; unless my peepers are deceiving me (quite possible; I'm as blind as a bat without the 'double-glazing' :lol: ), it does show the save-file being referred to as on sdb1.

Yes?