Xenialpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#1 Post by Nanosecond »

Dear Friends,
I'm reposting here in order to get some simple "HELPS" on How To install
Xenialpup to a USB stick.
I have Xenialpup 64 Bit ISO burned to CD ready to roll. Thanks to Mike's first video tutorial.
I was running Tahrpup via USB stick and began to have some issues..Mike offered some troubleshooting and thought it was best to change to Xenialpup.
So here I am.
I'm a novice on a learning curve with Linux so keep that I mind when responding or handing out technical information.
Looking forward to getting this resolved as it has been in limbo for a month.
Thank YOU in advance for your care, cooperation and attention to this matter.
Kind regards, Raphael
:wink:

Computer Specs:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3983 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1767 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (170 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U692R
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated
— running Google Chrome primarily

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

First, you should help to keep this forum from getting all messed up and post topics in the correct place in the forum.

Beginners or Users section is a good place for help questions.
Questions about specific hardware in the hardware section.

There are many ways to get Puppy installed on a USB flash drive.
Best to use some kind of program designed to do this type install.
I have Xenialpup 64 Bit ISO burned to CD ready to roll.
If you burned it as an iso image burn. It would be a boot-able CD of Xenialpup64 and you could boot the computer to a working Xenialpup64.
Run the Universal Installer.
Select install to USB flash drive.
The Universal Installer would install Xenialpup to the USB drive.
Follow the info given for each step in the process.
Done.

YaPI
You can install this program in a working Puppy version and use it to do the install.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107601
Easy simple steps to follow.

Unetbootin
You can use a version of Unetbootin to do the install.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Follow the directions for using an iso file you have already downloaded.
Tell it where the Xenialpup64 iso is.
Tell it where the USB drive is.
That is about all there is to it.
It automatically does the rest.

If you run this in Puppy.
If Unetbootin is not finding your USB drive.

Sometimes you have to force the issue with Unetbootin.

Start Unetbootin from the console by using this command.

Code: Select all

unetbootin installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdb1
You tell it the target USB drive you want it to use.

My USB flash drive is sdb1

Just make the targetdrive=/dev/ (whatever your USB drive is identified as)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#3 Post by Nanosecond »

Thank you John,
The computer I'll be using the Xenialpup is a 64 Bit Windows 7. The computer I'd like to do this install with is a 32 Bit Windows 7 and more stable than the other computer.
So, before I get started could you please let me know either way.
Sincerely, Ralph
This is the page I get after I insert the CD into the computer

How do I access a Universal Installer? Other options?
Tx
Attachments
Xenia.jpg
(40.87 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Nanosecond,

Since that's the page you get when you boot a computer with the CD in the CD-Rom, there are two possibilities. (1) Your computer is not configured to give priority to an operating system on a CD before booting system(s) on the hard-drive: you see the files shown in your screenshot when you open the CD-Rom. But the most likely reason is (2) that you used Windows builtin CD-burner program, or one designed to burn data files to a CD. If (2), you would need a program which is designed to burn an ISO image to a CD. I recommend Burncdcc which only does that. You'll find it here: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downl ... ftware.htm

However, as your objective is to boot Xenialpup from a USB-Stick, there really isn't any reason to first burn it to a CD. There are programs which will burn an ISO image directly to a USB-Stick. Frankly, I suggest you use two USB-Sticks, one for each of your computers, although you can do your burning on either. Your Windows 10 computer boots using the ISO mechanism. I'm not sure about your Windows 7 computer. It may or may not. But regardless, although you will be able to boot the "USB-Puppy" built on any computer, once you've created a SaveFile or SaveFolder you will have stored the configuration files for keyboard, graphics card, sound card, etc in that SaveFile/Folder and it MAY not be able to reach desktop --or have a fully working OS-- on the other computer. It is possible to boot "pfix=ram" --ask in the Beginner's section and then create a new SaveFile/Folder on and for the other computer. But with the low price of USB-Sticks, its just easier to use a USB-Stick for each computer.

noryb009 has created LICK, a program which runs under any version of Windows, and creates a bootable stick whether it is to be used with a UEFI or Bios computer. Instructions are here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 720#462720 but download the latest version from here: https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.1, Just download and run the "exe" version. The only other thing you'll need is the ISO which you already have.

If for any reason you have a problem with it, don't hesitate to ask on the LICK thread. Or ask on the Beginner's Section about Unetbootin or Rufus. These are also programs which run under Windows and directly "burn" ISOs to USB-Sticks.

Edit: section deleted as irrelevant. Long day. Hadn't realized he was already attempting to boot the latest Xenialpup64. :oops:
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 02 Nov 2018, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

Universal USB Installer https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/ is another choice. It will run in Windows and is pretty self-explanatory.

Xenial probably won't be on the list, just choose "Any other Linux" at the end. It will make a bootable usb that you can either use directly or if you want make another install to another usb or the hard disk using the installer included in Puppy itself.

It should just work.

ITSMERSH

#6 Post by ITSMERSH »

Nanosecond wrote:This is the page I get after I insert the CD into the computer
mikeslr wrote:Since that's the page you get when you boot a computer with the CD in the CD-Rom,
Sorry, but to me the screenshot looks like he had inserted the CD into the CD drive when running Windows.

If I'm right with my assumption, Nanosecond just needs to place the CD into the CD drive and rebooting from Windows. Usually there is a boot menu available by BIOS. Some computers use F8, some F11, some F12 to be pressed to acces the boot menu where to choose to boot from that inserted CD or any other device listed.

---

Agreed as for the wrong section for this topic.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#7 Post by Nanosecond »

Thank You! Dear Friends...
I do need to set the Boot order correctly. It's F8 to change the Boot order, etc.. Sorry!
Both the computers are running Windows 7. One is 32 bit and the other 64 bit which is the one I was running Tahrpup on and would like to run Xenialpup on.
I assume the version of Xenialpup is the latest as Mike Walsh gave me the link!!?
I'll have to continue later as it is 3:36 AM EDT.
Look forward to getting this up and running again.
Whatever is the simplest and more efficient way of doing this would be nice.
Kind regards, Raphael
Last edited by Nanosecond on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Understand this person is very limited on his knowledge of how to do things.

We all had those problems at one time in our life.

Nanosecond,

That CD looks like a a burned iso image of Xenialpup64 7.5.
Making the CD a boot-able live Xenialpup64 7.5.

Do you know how to make your computer boot from a CD?
That is what ITSMERSH is telling you how to do.

When you get the computer booted with this CD.
You should be running Xenialpup64 7.5
The Universal Installer is a program in Xenialpup.
menu>Setup>Puppy Installer
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

If you want to do the install from Windows.

Download the Xenialpup64 7.5 iso.
Remember where you downloaded it.

Dwnload the Unetbootin program for Windows and install it in Windows.

Unetbootin
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Follow the directions for using an iso file you have already downloaded.
Have the USB drive plugged in.
Start Unetbootin.
Tell it where the Xenialpup64 7.5 iso is.
Tell it where the USB drive is.
That is about all there is to it.
It automatically does the rest.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

We may have to guide you step by step.
But first we need to get you using some program to do the install.

When you get to running the program that is going to do the install.
If you have a problem.
We need details on what is happening.
You do what?
You see what?
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

I just want to 'set the scene' here.

I belong to the BleepingComputer Linux & Unix forum, amongst others.

I'm pretty much the only 'Puppy' user over there. The others are all Linux Mint fanbois, and tend to recommend it to everybody who joins. Most of them either don't have time for Puppy, or else don't really understand it, so.....any 'Puppy'-related problems, the buck gets passed to yours truly! :roll:

When Ralph ('Nanosecond') first showed up over there around 15 months or so back, they of course recommended Mint to him. After realising that his computers didn't really have what it would take to run Mint properly, they suggested Puppy, and sent him in my direction. I think, too, that Ralph liked the idea of just plugging a USB in, and bingo! you've got a different OS. :)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I helped him to install 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0.5 to a USB stick.....and he's been chuffed to bits with it. Recently, however, it's been developing network connection problems. It'll often drop out after a few minutes, sometimes won't connect at all.....stuff like that. Naturally, Ralph wanted me to help him fix it.

Networking is not my strong suit, I'll be honest. In recent months, Mama's health has been getting more precarious than usual, so I've had to start cutting back on my involvement in other fora., since I can no longer spare as much time as I used to. Murga-Linux, it goes without saying, will always win as far as fora are concerned. :D
-------------------------------------------------

I suggested to Ralph that he try a newer Puppy, and started doing a set of video tutorials to help guide him through installing Xenialpup to a stick. However, because of Mother's 'problems', I really can't spare the time, so poor old Ralph's been left 'dangling' for several weeks.....and, of course, he really wants to get this done.

I suggested to him the night before last that he register an account with Murga-Linux, since here we have a whole bunch of people who like helping folk out with problems related to our favourite canine.

I didn't realise he had in fact joined well over a year ago..! (Neither did he, apparently...)

Anyway; that's where things are at the moment. Be gentle with him; he's a sweet old fella in his late 60s, but he's really not that computer-savvy, and will need guiding pretty much every step of the way...along with the added complication that this will pretty much need to be done from within Windows, since his Tahrpup is seriously misbehaving itself.

I just wanted to clue y'all in.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 02 Nov 2018, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Nanosecond,

If the USB that has Tahrpup is messing up badly.

It would be a good idea you use a different USB flash drive for Xenialpup.

The Tahrpup USB may be going bad physically.
They do not last forever.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#13 Post by Nanosecond »

Thanks again.
I do have a new 16GB USB stick on hand. And I would need to change the Boot order at the very least.
I'm suffering with some SI joint pain so I'm not sure how much sitting or standing I can tolerate.
But, lets move forward.. I'll do the best I can with this as I'd like to get it up and running. If I'm not responding quickly you can assume I'm seeing a chiropractor, etc...
Best, Raphael

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#14 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:I just want to 'set the scene' here.

I belong to the BleepingComputer Linux & Unix forum, amongst others.

I'm pretty much the only 'Puppy' user over there. The others are all Linux Mint fanbois, and tend to recommend it to everybody who joins. Most of them either don't have time for Puppy, or else don't really understand it, so.....any 'Puppy'-related problems, the buck gets passed to yours truly! :roll:

When Ralph ('Nanosecond') first showed up over there around 15 months or so back, they of course recommended Mint to him. After realising that his computers didn't really have what it would take to run Mint properly, they suggested Puppy, and sent him in my direction. I think, too, that Ralph liked the idea of just plugging a USB in, and bingo! you've got a different OS. :)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I helped him to install 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0.5 to a USB stick.....and he's been chuffed to bits with it. Recently, however, it's been developing network connection problems. It'll often drop out after a few minutes, sometimes won't connect at all.....stuff like that. Naturally, Ralph wanted me to help him fix it.

Networking is not my strong suit, I'll be honest. In recent months, Mama's health has been getting more precarious than usual, so I've had to start cutting back on my involvement in other fora., since I can no longer spare as much time as I used to. Murga-Linux, it goes without saying, will always win as far as fora are concerned. :D
-------------------------------------------------

I suggested to Ralph that he try a newer Puppy, and started doing a set of video tutorials to help guide him through installing Xenialpup to a stick. However, because of Mother's 'problems', I really can't spare the time, so poor old Ralph's been left 'dangling' for several weeks.....and, of course, he really wants to get this done.

I suggested to him the night before last that he register an account with Murga-Linux, since here we have a whole bunch of people who like helping folk out with problems related to our favourite canine.

I didn't realise he had in fact joined well over a year ago..!

Anyway; that's where things are at the moment. Be gentle with him; he's a sweet old fella in his late 60s, but he's really not that computer-savvy, and will need guiding pretty much every step of the way...along with the added complication that this will pretty much need to be done from within Windows, since his Tahrpup is seriously misbehaving itself.

I just wanted to clue y'all in.

Mike. :wink:
Thank You Mike..beautifully written and explained.
I will be on top of this as much as humanly possible, but I am suffering with SI joint pain and hoping to get some treatments later today. It's a struggle to sit or stand for any length of time. And sitting is likely one of the most unhealthy things a human being can do outside of smoking cigarettes.
Have a blessed day...
Sincerely, Raphael

Nanosecond

Re: Xenialpup

#15 Post by Nanosecond »

Nanosecond wrote:Thanks again.
I do have a new 16GB USB stick on hand. And I would need to change the Boot order at the very least.
I'm suffering with some SI joint pain so I'm not sure how much sitting or standing I can tolerate.
But, lets move forward.. I'll do the best I can with this as I'd like to get it up and running. If I'm not responding quickly you can assume I'm seeing a chiropractor, etc...
Best, Raphael
I can get into Xenial via CD.
Now I just the next steps in order to proceed. I think this will go fairly well. it was GREAT just to see the new Xenialpup interface.
Thank You! I'll be back ASAP. Excited!
Cheers Rapahel

Nanosecond

Re: Xenialpup

#16 Post by Nanosecond »

Nanosecond wrote:Thanks again.
Best, Raphael
Hallo! I think I goofed?! I'm at Google Earth Pro which I chose when I entered the Puppy Package Manager from the Internet tab. It was the only Google I saw listed. This was under the Repository list as puppy-xenial64.
I thought it was the standard Google Chrome.
Please Help as I think I got a little ahead of myself..
Cannot get Online, but the Internet is set up correctly other than having the correct browser I assume.
Please don't stone me!
NOT sure if should Reboot or Shutdown?
Thank YOU!
Raphael

Terry H

#17 Post by Terry H »

@Nanosecond

If you installed it using Puppy Package Manager (PPM), you can uninstall it also. Go into PPM and in the Top Left Click Uninstall, you will see a list of packages you have installed. You can uninstall the packages here.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#18 Post by Nanosecond »

Terry H wrote:@Nanosecond

If you installed it using Puppy Package Manager (PPM), you can uninstall it also. Go into PPM and in the Top Left Click Uninstall, you will see a list of packages you have installed. You can uninstall the packages here.
Thank You! it's uninstalled.
Should I Shut down or Reboot at this point?
Where can I find the correct version of Google Chrome for this? It's not listed anywhere as far as I can tell.
Sincerely, Raphael

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

Yes reboot.
That will make sure what you uninstalled is all removed.

For Google Chrome.

On the desktop is the icon for Quickpet.
Left click on it to run Quickpet.
See if Google Chrome is listed in Quickpet>Browsers.
If yes.
Left click on Google Chrome and it will be downloaded and installed.

Palemoon browser is already installed in Xenialpup.
It is a very good browser.
Left click on the desktop browse icon to run it.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#20 Post by Nanosecond »

bigpup wrote:
Yes reboot.
That will make sure what you uninstalled is all removed.

For Google Chrome.

On the desktop is the icon for Quickpet.
Left click on it to run Quickpet.
See if Google Chrome is listed in Quickpet>Browsers.
If yes.
Left click on Google Chrome and it will be downloaded and installed."
There are two versions of Chrome 64 bit deb (For Debian/Ubuntu) and 64 bit rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE). Which one?

Palemoon browser is already installed in Xenialpup.
It is a very good browser.

Left click on the desktop browse icon to run it.
Thanks! What partition should i choose> sda1, 2, 3 or sdb1?

One of the reasons Mike thought of dropping tahrpup was it couldn't run the newer version of Google Chrome. I'd like to stick with that if possible.