Network wizard Beta version for testers

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
barriew

#121 Post by barriew »

"Basically, if you hit "scan" ...I hit OK or Cancel ... it rescans"

Rarsa,

I had the same problem yesterday when investigating problems with the zd1211rw driver.

Barrie

rarsa

#122 Post by rarsa »

I have a pretty good idea of where the problem is, and what conditions may cause it, but I don't know what is causing it in this particular case.

Please run the net-setup from the console and send me the output.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

bkk

Wifi w/WPA-PSK

#123 Post by bkk »

I spent weeks with Ubuntu trying to use this device. Using ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant and your network wizard I was on the net in 5 minutes after remembering to enable legacy USB in my boot setup. Thanks a million.

bkk

bkk

wpa-psk

#124 Post by bkk »

Hi,
I just finished using wpa_supplicant, ndiswrapper, and the network wizard to install a linksys usb wireless nic on an ancient MB with a 45oMhz processor laying on my workbench. Once I remembered to enable USB, the set up was a piece of cake. The other players, Ubuntu, Freespire, Mepis, etc. should take a look. I invested weeks of effort doing the same project using Ubuntu, sifting through volumes of misinformation in a plethora of wiki's etc. Well done.

jfkfield2

New uI've tried puppy linux at the encouragementser comments

#125 Post by jfkfield2 »

I wasn't sure where to post all this. I understand you want new users comments. Here's some. I also put this in the encryption section.
I've tried puppy linux at the encouragement of my brother previously but I couldn't get wifi to work. The last time, it was better but I had just gone up to WPA from WEP and that wasn't there. So I hadn't used it to speak of.
I downloaded 2.14, burned an iso to a CD-RW and started up again. I had a little trouble with the WPA, it wasn't clear to me what numbers I really should be using for password and whatnot, that's not a fault of they puppy system but a lot of stuff you get with SBC Yahoo is "idiot proofed" and you don't really need to know much. But I looked it up.
When you're trying to get the WPA window up it's a little non-intuitive. You have to poke around a bit to get the right sequence of things. I lucked out the first time (beginners luck). It was working fine and that proved it COULD be done. That was helpful because I messed up and thought I could get the CD-RW to load the "change file" when I powered down but that's a no-no I found out.
Anyhow, I had to start over when I powered up and that time I had a bit more trouble with the auto help wizard thing. Having had it work once though kept me going 'cause I knew it could be done!
Turns out you really really need to use the scan thing. But it's a little tricky to select WPA then scan just right before it'll even see a WPA wifi node. Once it does, then just enter the key and you're there.
I'm using an ACER laptop with 802.11g. It's a Travelmate with a Pentium M and CD burner/DVD reader combo.

jfkfield2

Note on RutilT

#126 Post by jfkfield2 »

I was looking to make sure I had the right wifi. I opened up the RutilT wireless gadget under the Menu/Network. That thing has the right wifi name but in the "site survey" tab under the cipher column it says WEP.
I've got the wifi set as WPA and in windows that's what the system says I'm getting so I'm pretty sure it is. I even used WPA under this system to get logged on.

Braden

#127 Post by Braden »

I don't know this for sure, but I'm fairly certain that a network tool that is unaware of WPA (such as RutilT) cannot distinguish WEP from WPA, and calls both "WEP".

I have a Toshiba M200 tablet laptop with 2.14, and I've been trying in vain to get WPA networks going, using the wizard and the console tools.
I know the card and drivers are working because I have no trouble connecting to my school's open network with it.
It's an ipw2100 card and I'm using the SourceForge driver version 1.3 and wpa_supplicant 5.7.

I've even tried it on a different WPA network when I was at home last weekend, so that's not it. Both networks were PSK and TKIP, no AES.

When I try to run wpa_supplicant manually (command is [tt]wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dddd -Dwext[/tt]) and examine the output, it successfully completes the Four-Way Handshaking step, moves into the GROUP_HANDSHAKE state, and then times out. I assume the same thing is happening with the wizard's attempts, though I haven't checked.

tempestuous

#128 Post by tempestuous »

Braden, there's a trick with using the "ipw" driver with wpa_supplicant - you need one extra kernel module loaded - michael_mic. See here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0597#70597

Regarding RutilT, this utility is very "Ralink-centric". I believe it does handle WPA, but only via a configuration file unique to the Ralink rt61 and rt73 drivers.

Braden

#129 Post by Braden »

I was under the impression that -Dwext should be used from 2.6.15 onwards or something of that sort. Should I use -Dipw? I've found that it spews all kinds of "Operation not supported" errors when I try that. I certainly make it farther through the process with wext.

Also, I'm using the newest versions of the driver and firmware, should I be trying older versions so I can use that michael_mic? I tried to find source of the michael_mic module to build a new one, but it doesn't appear to be a project onto itself so much as part of the kernel.

tempestuous

#130 Post by tempestuous »

Braden wrote:Should I use -Dipw?
No, "wext" has replaced "ipw" with recent versions of the Linux Wireless Extensions.

The michael_mic module is already contained in Puppy 2.14's zdrv file. Just fetch/load it like this -

modprobe michael_mic

Of course, the zdrv file must be accessable when you do this.

Braden

#131 Post by Braden »

I get identical behaviour with and without michael_mic loaded. michael_mic loaded without errors, but it didn't make a difference to my connection attempts.

tempestuous

#132 Post by tempestuous »

Let's check a few things.
Braden wrote:I'm using ... and wpa_supplicant 5.7.
It sounds like you're not using the version of wpa_supplicant which is contained in Puppy 2.14, and this is a concern, because compatibility with various wifi drivers needs to be EXPLICITLY enabled in the wpa_supplicant configuration during its compilation.
I contributed the version in 2.14 (available separately here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5640#95640)
This version is definitely compatible with ipw drivers.
If you're determined to compile your own version of wpa_supplicant, that's good, but I suggest you read my comments about its configuration on the developer forum - http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1167105466 (5th post).

Also, the contents of your configuration file, /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf are critical.
Puppy 2.14's WPA configuration file has been well-tested by rarsa and others on this forum, and is known to work.

You could also try pre-loading the necessary encryption modules mentioned earlier in this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6041#96041

Braden

#133 Post by Braden »

Replaced my existing install of wpa_supplicant with the ones from the tar.gz you linked to. No change.

Loading the crypto modules first didn't appear to help either.

Both the wizard and the command line fail at the GROUP_HANDSHAKE step again, because the authentication times out.

I'm going to try a Live-CD clean system and see what happens.

Braden

#134 Post by Braden »

Well, a clean boot works. Why it didn't work for me back when I first tried the wizard, I have no idea. Maybe I've learned something between here and there that made me get it right.

Now the real trick is getting the stock drivers and wpa_supplicant without having to reinstall the rest of my system. I've got dozens of scripts and other programs and such installed, I'd really rather not have to redo all of it. Although, if it came down to it, wireless is that important.

tempestuous

#135 Post by tempestuous »

Braden wrote:Now the real trick is getting the stock drivers and wpa_supplicant without having to reinstall the rest of my system.
Puppy 2.14 already contains all the components you need - ipw2100 driver, ipw2100 firmware, wpa_supplicant.

Braden

#136 Post by Braden »

Yes, that's why it worked when I did a fresh boot (pfix=ram). But I've replaced some of these files. When the drivers 2.14 came with didn't work (not sure if it was me, my network, or an earlier wizard version that caused it, but it didn't work), I tried to install the newer ones.

I tried copying in the original drivers and wpa_supplicant to replace mine, but it didn't work. I'm not sure what else to try short of starting with a fresh system and installing everything.

Braden

#137 Post by Braden »

Ah well, I took the plunge and reinstalled my stuff.

Wizard works great, now that my card works.

setecio

#138 Post by setecio »

Bookmarked for info.