Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 20 Nov 2018, 08:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
mpv player vs VLC experience
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
Gobbi

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct 2018, 10:56    Post subject:  mpv player vs VLC experience  

This month I bought a 10" netbook an Asus 1025C .It has an Atom N2800 CPU which is 64bit capable and a poor GMA 3650 graphic solution . I was not happy when I found that Asus had put a BIOS limiting to 32bit this little one .
The AtomicPup-XIX works like a charm on it . I also tried UpupBB , Xenial and LxPupSc . I had to use the xorgwizard on Xenial . The best video experience I had it with UPupBB using mpv player - but tearing was always present in fullscreen.

Some years ago I gave an Acer Aspire One D270 with the same CPU and graphic card , to my daughter . I upgraded the RAM to 4Gb but only 3Gb were recognized by the system . This netbook works in 64bit so my daughter is using Fatdog64-630 for school even now without problems . Videos are best seen in fullscreen when downsized to 512:288 and 700kb/s , and every now and then tearing occurs .

Going back to my own Asus 1025C netbook - I searched and found a forum with a link to a moded BIOS to get it working in 64bit . It works , I also put a 4Gb stick of RAM in it (all 4Gb recognized by the system) and now I tried Fatdog64-710 and Fatdog64-721 with the same 512:288 and 700kb/s videos .
Using mpv 0.27 player - which I compiled it in FD710 , but also works in FD721 : still got tearing ( though rarely ) in fullscreen in FD710 . But the good news is that in FD721 this mpv player works like a charm in fullscreen .
Moreover : using the HDMI port I connected the netbook - FD721 - to a FullHD monitor . mpv player is able to play those videos well with this hardware at 1920:1080 Exclamation
It's no use to get VLC to play without tearing in fullscreen even on the native 1024:600 screen. Not on 32bit Pups and not in Fatdog64 .When not in fullscreen , I noticed in Conky a double CPU load using VLC than using mpv player .
On today's computers I would hardly notice or care , but it's good to know a good and light alternative to VLC , specially on high resolutions .
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: