Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 19 Nov 2018, 20:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
NTFS Formatted USB Harddrive - Changing Permissions.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
BJF

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2018, 19:49    Post subject:  NTFS Formatted USB Harddrive - Changing Permissions.
Subject description: LxPup-Precise-Retro 14.02 cannot write to it.

My darling has a Compaq Presario C500 running LxPup-Precise-Retro 14.02 generally quite happily and I'm not allowed near it because I "break it."
She is saving out data from Ancestry and I have insisted that she back-up to a separate hard-drive due to the quantity of stuff she has accumulated and its value. She purchased a WD Elements drive and I transfered data already held onto it via my laptop running LxPupTahr 15.12 and handed it back.
She attempted to create a new folder and raised the error that it was a read-only system. Permissions show Writing as Nobody, and that can't be changed. On a whim, I replugged the drive into my laptop and it shows the same Permissions with the Writing as Owner. Nothing was changed in between. Coincidentally a new drive with my data on it can be read and written to by LxPupTahr but not by her LxPup-Precise-Retro. Same NTFS format, same symptoms. A rising sense of panic led me to plug a FAT32 thumbdrive in, which was immediately recognised and could be written to. I backed up to that.
Plugging the hard drive back in, I went to the Command Line (isn't ignorance a wonderful thing?) and typed /sdb1 -w which returned 'sdb1 is a folder'. And of course nothing changed.

Can somebody wise please guide me through changing the way her laptop OS views NTFS drives? As my machinery and OS has no bother with the OEM format I have never bothered to change it to something 'vanilla' like FAT32. Will I need to do that? The offer to do her an OS update has already met stiff resistance. Laughing

Thanks
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2018, 20:21    Post subject:  

Why don't you/she just use Linux's own ext format (ext3) for the hard drive?

Or do you need that data also on a Windows machine?

BJF

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2018, 21:17    Post subject:  

ITSMERSH: Hindsight has its own rewards, but since the previous USBHDs in the family were FAT32 and that format is compatible with Misco$oft when the genealogists get a-talking, and Puppy bless its cotton sox can read it anyway, reformatting to ext format was counter productive.
The question is: Can her OS be encouraged to read NTFS?

Thanks.
ozsouth

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2018, 21:48    Post subject:  

Going back several years, with quite old pups, you needed the ntfs-3g package to write to ntfs. Modern versions have kernels that don't have that problem, but your retro might.
BJF

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2018, 23:46    Post subject:  

It sounds as though the way forward could be a reformat of the drive to FAT32 as both Redmond and Puppy seem to agree over that, and/or upgrade her OS. I'll do her a live CD meanwhile to get comfortable with what I think she needs and by and by, swap it onboard.

Cheers guys.
dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2018, 00:00    Post subject:  

Sometimes linux will treat an ntfs drive as read only if it detects an error on it.

The easiest way to fix it is to run chkdsk on it from a Windows computer to fix the errors.

Any reasonably recent linux should be able to read and write ntfs.
s243a

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2018, 00:43    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
Sometimes linux will treat an ntfs drive as read only if it detects an error on it.

The easiest way to fix it is to run chkdsk on it from a Windows computer to fix the errors.

Any reasonably recent linux should be able to read and write ntfs.

I had this problem on a windows machine. Chkdsk on windows didn't fix it but ntfsfix on linux fixed it.
BJF

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2018, 04:13    Post subject:  

It looks increasingly as though the best solution is a newer Puppy. M'lady is trialing a thumb drive install of LXArtful done with rcrsn51's ISOBooter (foolproof installs every time here), and lovin' it. Probably that OS will shortly be going onto the laptop and the problem will disappear. There seems little point in chasing a format just for LX Tahr 14.02 when all the other Puppies in the house can read the HDDs as NTFS.
I'll come back shortly to close this out one way or another.

Thank you all.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018, 03:28    Post subject: Re: NTFS Formatted USB Harddrive - Changing Permissions.
Subject description: LxPup-Precise-Retro 14.02 cannot write to it.

BJF wrote:
My darling has a Compaq Presario C500 running LxPup-Precise-Retro 14.02 generally quite happily and I'm not allowed near it because I "break it."
There is a red flag right there. That distro is very specific and if "things break" when you use it then the question is " WHY"??? Maybe you should get her running on a more mainstream Puppy so that things don't break so easily.

Quote:
She is saving out data from Ancestry and I have insisted that she back-up to a separate hard-drive due to the quantity of stuff she has accumulated and its value. She purchased a WD Elements drive and I transfered data already held onto it via my laptop running LxPupTahr 15.12 and handed it back.

This needs clarification. What do you mean that "she purchased a WD Elements drive and I transfered data already held onto it via my laptop running LxPupTahr 15.12 and handed it back"??
Why would she use YOUR laptop to transfer data she had on HER laptop???

How did this occur? Did she boot your laptop with her HDD attached? Where/How did you transfer the data?
peterw

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018, 04:10    Post subject: Updating to a later Puppy  

Just a few thoughts as I read this topic.
Fat32 has a 4 GB max size and so large video files which can be greater can't be stored on the system and that is why WD use NTFS which should be compatible with Windows and Linux machines. Better to have a file system that can cope with large files, just in case.
Her laptop is a 32 bit machine and a good Puppy to use is Slacko http://slacko.eezy.xyz/index.php. These days, I use frugal installs which can go anywhere - USB or HD. You can also store large files external to the frugal install.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018, 05:53    Post subject:  

GG :-

greengeek wrote:
BJF wrote:

There is a red flag right there. That distro is very specific and if "things break" when you use it then the question is " WHY"??? Maybe you should get her running on a more mainstream Puppy so that things don't break so easily.

Ian, I think you and I are reading this differently. The point wasn't made that it (Precise-Retro) breaks under general usage.....but more that it only breaks when BJF goes near it..!

Think about it.

Perhaps the point is being made - by BJF's other half - that things only "break" when certain individuals go anywhere near them (because they can't leave 'em alone!). That criticism often gets levelled at a lot of folks that think they're tech-savvy. Such folks often can't resist 'tinkering' with things, just to 'make them better'. The view taken by the less 'tech-savvy' is that if it works, why mess around with it (which also applies to the vast majority of Windows users, too)..?

(That criticism has also been levelled at me in the past.....so I know where BJF's 'other half' is coming from..! Laughing)

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018, 08:47    Post subject:  

Echo Mike Walsh. My better half only will let me touch her computer when something has gone awry. Sad Laughing

Echo dancytron.

The Other Mike
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018, 13:54    Post subject:  

ozsouth wrote:
Going back several years, with quite old pups, you needed the ntfs-3g package to write to ntfs. Modern versions have kernels that don't have that problem, but your retro might.

In a console enter this to see if it does have ntfs-3g.
Code:
ntfs-3g -v

jafadmin

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018, 15:22    Post subject:  

NTFS and EXFAT are Microsoft proprietary filesystems. They are patented and copyrighted and cannot legally be included in FOSS.

To mount an NTFS filesystem as read/write you need to make sure you have the "ntfs-3g" addon installed on your system.

To check if you have it installed, type: "which ntfs-3g" in a command prompt and see if it finds it ..
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018, 18:36    Post subject:  

Quote:
They are patented and copyrighted and cannot legally be included in FOSS.

They can with permission.

There is an awful lot of proprietary software included in FOSS and I would like to bet that a good proportion of it is used illegally if the law is strictly upheld.

Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: