Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 21:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Is Puppy Tails possible?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
jss83

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2018, 06:16    Post subject:  Is Puppy Tails possible?
Subject description: A derivative of Puppy based on Tails..

I would love to use a Puppy linux based on Tails with all its added privacy security features and applications. Tails itself is too big for me, the current iso size is 1.2 gb, which would expand more when installed,, I'd think..

I don't know if it is possible to shrink it down to have a Puppy Tails version of it but if it can be done, it would be very useful.
s243a

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:15    Post subject:  

Looking at wikipedia Tails is Gentoo based. I don't believe that Woof builds support Gentoo. We could try doing some kind of hybird. TazPup has a builder to do such a thing for Slitaz linux. Perhaps we could adapt it for a Gentoo based linux.

That said, we don't necessarily need to use the same binaries. The biggest advertised feature of Tails is that it forces all connection through Tor. This can be done using Tors transparent proxy.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy

Tails isn't necessary to do this. Here are some threads/posts on this:
rc.local, rc.firewall and Tor's Transparent Proxy
How to hide user ID and location while on the 'net?
s243a

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:37    Post subject:  

If we were going to do the hybird approach, like TazPup, Then we would probably want to start with a minimal version of Gentoo and then add whatever packages from tails that we thought are required. Here are some links I got when searching for minimal Gentoo:

Sakaki's EFI Install Guide/Creating and Booting the Minimal-Install Image on USB

Installation/Media#Minimal_installation_CD
scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:49    Post subject:  

Alternately ask and work with Barry and Easy and add tor to the containerset as containers do add security and can be set to limit access to the system areas?

Since tor is not 'suppose' to be on the same machine, theoretically tor could be isolated in it's own container and the user (non-root) be in another container, and if I understand how containers ~correctly work, that should be a possible isolation.

You could then maybe use an internal software gateway package between containers to handle what would otherwise need an extra ethernet type port (hardware but no physical connection) to transfer through???

just a thought
s243a

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2018, 12:03    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
Alternately ask and work with Barry and Easy and add tor to the containerset as containers do add security and can be set to limit access to the system areas?

Since tor is not 'suppose' to be on the same machine, theoretically tor could be isolated in it's own container and the user (non-root) be in another container, and if I understand how containers ~correctly work, that should be a possible isolation.

You could then maybe use an internal software gateway package between containers to handle what would otherwise need an extra ethernet type port (hardware but no physical connection) to transfer through???

just a thought

A tor container would be a good idea and as a plus one wouldn't need to use tor for every connection. Instead they would only use tor on the aps running in the tor container. One could also run several different tor circuits in different containers Smile
jss83

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:57    Post subject:  

Yeah, I didn't mean to be exact replica of it but somewhat similar to it. But someone suggested me that one could have vpn set up as default and have better privacy than tor. So .. that sorts out the privacy thing and if we add some of the features/apps present in it then we're there.

https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/features/index.en.html
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: