Live Concert on Video published on Youtube

News, happenings
ITSMERSH

Live Concert on Video published on Youtube

#1 Post by ITSMERSH »

Dear esteemed forum members!

After doing the mix down of the 24/18 multi-track recording of our concert (Helix Research Out house) by using BionicDog and Ardour 5.12, I'd started to create a video. This concert was also recorded on video by 4 action cameras plus 1 video camera, so lots of work to do.

Unfortunately I couldn't do this in BionicDog as Kdenlive doesn't seem to work that properly as it does in my LazY Puppy Art Studio. Rendering is very slow and the result doesn't play in all players... :shock:

However, I finished the final video a few days ago and today I finished the version planned to be published on Youtube. Actually I've uploaded the video a few moments ago: Helix Research Out house Live 06. September 2018.

At the end of the video I mentioned the support of GNU/Linux and the use of LazY Puppy Art Studio, BionicDog and Puppy Linux, since its all done in GNU/Linux - except the 24/18 track-recording by Ardour 5.12 in Windows 10.

Watch it, like it, dislike it, but recognize the use of Puppy/Dog and GNU/Linux! :wink:

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Congratulations, RSH!

Very different, very original. Sorry, my ears are not used to this type of
music, I cannot say I liked all of it, but I found some of it beautiful.

Your percussion set-up is quite impressive. You have the full scale with the
cymbals, yes?

What is the string instrument your fellow musician is playing? Electric bass
and electric guitar in one?

Keep it up!
~~~~~~~~~
PS
But eat a little more? :) If you don't, you will become transparent!!! ;)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Moat

#3 Post by Moat »

Wow... outstanding drumming, Rainer!! :shock: 8) Your playing and the music itself reminds me a little of Allan Holldsworth/Chad Wackerman "Metal Fatigue" era stuff, maybe some Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, a bit of Neal Pert, Levin/Belew (Bruford?) era King Crimson, Weather Report (Erskine?)... some other things I hear but can't quite pinpoint. Just flippin' Beautiful!!

Thanks for that!! :)

Musher0 - I think the stringed instrument is a Chapman Stick; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_Stick

Bob

fredx181

#4 Post by fredx181 »

Sounds Great Rainer ! :D

Quite a challenge I suppose to play as a duo.
And to play asymmetrical metres (5/4, 9/8 ?) will be difficult also.
(well for me at least, I did a little jazz piano playing in the past, mostly 4/4/ or 3/4 etc..).

And nice to know of course that you used mostly Linux for your production !

Fred

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

@Moat:
Yes, that's it, a "Chapman Stick" (12-string).
Thank you for the info.
Quite impressive instrument.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ITSMERSH

#6 Post by ITSMERSH »

@musher0, @moat

The instrument is similar but not exactly a Chapman Stick. It's a Ziggy Tap Guitar and it's much better than just a Chapman Stick!

@musher0

Yes, this is some kind of special music for well trained ears - most far away from mainstream possible. The drum kit has exactly 21 drums and 24 cymbals. I'm trying to get the drums close to a tuned tone (especially the mini timbales), but on the cymbals the drummer is in the hands of the manufacturers. :?

There's no reason to concern me one getting transparent. For now about 40 years my weight differs from 63 Kg to 68/70 Kg. Whatever I drink, whatever I eat there seems to be nothing that would increase my weight (as a side note: I'm drinking a minimum of 3 liters of Coca Cola per day since I was 15). 8)

@Moat

Thank you very much! :D

The musicians you mentioned are exactly those musicians we are mostly inspired by (but there are some more like Frank Zappa of course).

Great, that you like it! :D

@fredx181

Yes, it's a challenge to play as a duo. But the greater challenge is on the drummer when it comes to play the drums to the loops played and recorded live by the Tap Guitar Player, so he can play solos. That can also quite fail! :lol:

We definitely love to play odd beats (asymmetrical metres) and it's the main purpose on our music. We have everything in 8th like 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, 11/8 13/8, 19/8, 21/8 but we do play also rhythms based on 16th like 9/16, 11/16 13/16 and 25/16. We love to work on our instruments and as I say usually: there's nothing better than to watch good people working.

The music being recorded using Ardour 5.12 in Windows 10 is negligible, I think. Since it was possible it should be possible to do so also in Puppy/Dog. Just need to check and find out within the next weeks.

So far I can say by now: the Phonic Helix 24 MKII Board is recognized out of the box in Ardour 5 and all tracks are connected to the channels automated - no need to install ffado it seems (which is Python :roll: ).

Moat

#7 Post by Moat »

ITSMERSH wrote: But the greater challenge is on the drummer when it comes to play the drums to the loops played and recorded live by the Tap Guitar Player, so he can play solos. That can also quite fail! :lol:
Yes - as a guitarist, myself, I have just a little experience playing on-the-fly live looping/samples with a full band - and indeed it can quickly devolve into a complete trainwreck if any musician (especially the drummer!) has difficulty hearing/following the loop/sample. :shock: :lol: I couldn't tell from the video, but I imagine you are using in-ears for monitoring?

In any case, your following of the Tap Guitarist's looping was fantastic - especially considering the complexity of both your playing/fills and the time signatures/meter of the music itself. Just great stuff!! 8)

Bob

technosaurus

#8 Post by technosaurus »

I didn't realize RSH was now an IT SMERSH... whats a smersh btw?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

Moat

#10 Post by Moat »

I think;

"It's me - R.S.H.!"

rufwoof

#11 Post by rufwoof »

Seeing that percussion rig for some reason reminded my of this and this
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

backi

#12 Post by backi »

Hi ITSMERSH !
Just watched your Video (partly)......did not expect such a cool Sound ......impressive,beautiful....
BTW......your Programming and Contributions for Puppy`s and Co are sophisticated too .

Greetings from " The Coming Califat if no Wonder happens " formerly known as Germany .

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

I shared your video with a few musician friends of mine

this is a sample of their work they are doing now
https://youtu.be/bjHABhEwU4Y

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Sylvander wrote:SMERSH
Ha-ha!
No one can put a lid on the truth, can we? :lol: So all this time, RSH aka
ITSMERSH has been a Russian counter-espionage agent disguised as a
Puppyist! :twisted: (To be clear: I hope every one understands this is a joke?!)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ITSMERSH

#15 Post by ITSMERSH »

technosaurus wrote:I didn't realize RSH was now an IT SMERSH... whats a smersh btw?
Moat wrote:I think;

"It's me - R.S.H.!"
musher0 wrote:
Ha-ha!
No one can put a lid on the truth, can we? :lol: So all this time, RSH aka
ITSMERSH has been a Russian counter-espionage agent disguised as a
Puppyist! :twisted: (To be clear: I hope every one understands this is a joke?!)
Yes and yes, of course!

Here's the complete Story. I thought the first time the "smersh"-joke appeared on the scene has happened there, but seems to be another topic!

You funny guys! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by ITSMERSH on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#16 Post by ITSMERSH »

Moat wrote:I couldn't tell from the video, but I imagine you are using in-ears for monitoring?
No.

Just a single monitor speaker left down where the mini timbales are located. I prefer this since it comforts me that way mostly.

Revolverve

#17 Post by Revolverve »

I love it..well ,less than your looping lady...
Drummers dont travel light...
Got me to back to my dusty Weather reports & Mahavishnu Orchestra cd's...
Your Ziggy string thing is very much interesting .

Thank for sharing ,keep beating it off and between !

ITSMERSH

#18 Post by ITSMERSH »

:D

Hhmmmm, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra. Really great music and also great musicians. 8)

Yes, Drummers don't travel light - even with a small kit.

I have uploaded a video that shows how to assemble approximately 100 different pieces into a full sized drum kit.
It's a time lapse from around two hours down to 2:37 minutes.

Of course this video also is completely created with my LazY Puppy Art Studio. Audio was recorded with Audacity (just a simple stereo recording from the mixing console's sum).

The music in this video is played by Helix Research Out house in our rehearsal room, playing to a precast loop played by the wave player. The song is called "Die dritte Sequenz" (The 3rd Sequence) and is not included into the live video.