Grafburn cd burner - new version 0.10.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
WhoDo

#81 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:ftp://texasangel.org/pub/puppy/pet/grafburn-0.9.pet

Note that this bug is reproducable 100% of the time in the 0.8 version so if you have any intention of using Grafburn you must upgrade.
Thanks, Nathan. It's in Puppy 2.15CE Alpha being uploaded this weekend.

Cheers

UPDATE: Oops! :oops: Spoke too soon. Grafburn-0.9.pet won't install in Puppy 2.15CE (2.14 core). Ran it several times. I elect to install at the dialogue and PETget manager appears to start but then aborts shortly thereafter. Any ideas?

UPDATE2: Curiouser and curiouser? PETget didn't register Grafburn-0.9 but when I run Pupbegone it tells me Grafburn-0.9 is installed and gives me the option to remove it!?!? :?:

Nathan F

#82 Post by Nathan F »

Not sure if this is the package or the installer at this point, WhoDo. I'd just copy the files manually to be sure at this point. Since Grafburn is now part of Puppy perhaps I should release updates as a dotpup that does not register with the package manager from this point forward? Maybe.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

WhoDo

#83 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:Not sure if this is the package or the installer at this point, WhoDo. I'd just copy the files manually to be sure at this point. Since Grafburn is now part of Puppy perhaps I should release updates as a dotpup that does not register with the package manager from this point forward? Maybe.
Turns out that Grafburn-0.9 most definitely IS installed. The help file, where I usually go to check the version number, is showing 0.8, but the included change log clearly shows it is 0.9

I have no idea why it isn't registering with PETget. Dotpups created with MU's dotpup wizard are being registered, and other dotpets have found their way into the list. It's a mystery alright.

Main thing is that the update is in the Puppy 2.15 CE Alpha for this weekend. We can worry about the other stuff for the first Beta.

Thanks again, mate.

Nathan F

#84 Post by Nathan F »

Sure thing. I may release a minor update with only one or two enhancements, but not for another couple days. One minor bug and a feature request. Feel free to use 0.9 though, it seems to be solid as a rock in most ways.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#85 Post by Nathan F »

I've uploaded version 0.9.1 to the first post in this thread. This is minor update in some ways. I fixed two small bugs in the preferences and iso creation stages for better reliability. I also added 8x and 16x speed setting for burning dvd's, for those with really new hardware.

In another respect this is a major update, however. I included the prototype function to enable direct copying from one disk drive to another. It is also possible to copy a disk if you only have one drive.

If you have two drives available then this can function in two ways. The preferred method is using cdrdao, which can be installed via petget or another package I created recently. This is the fastest method, and the only way to copy an audio cd. Audio cd's do not have a filesystem and cannot be mounted or otherwise read in a normal fashion, so they must be ripped first using either Pbcdripper or another similar application. However, cdrdao can directly copy the data from an audio cd to a blank disk in another drive.

If you do not have cdrdao installed you can still copy data cd's and dvd's (not yet sure about dvd video), but it will happen in two steps and so be a little slower. First it will use dd to copy all of the data off the source disk into a temporary iso file, and then it will call Grafburn's existing burning script to burn the iso. In this case, unlike other cases, the iso is deleted after burning.

Basically, to get the most out of the copy function I highly recommend installing cdrdao.

If you only have one drive available then Grafburn can still do a copy, provided it is not an audio cd. For audio cd's you will have to rip the tracks first. This is a limitation of the command line tools available and the fact that an audio cd has no filesystem. For data cd's it will function the same as if you were running without cdrdao installed, that is it goes in two steps.

This is in no way a finished stable release in light of the new functions, so I would recommend against adding it to our CE edition for the time being, at least until some testing has been done. In all other respects the application is finally approaching what I would consider a 1.0 release. I released it in dotpup form again because it is now part of Puppy as of 2.14, so it is best to install it this way so as not to confuse the package manager. The dotpup does register with petget but has a slightly different name so it should be left alone, but you will have to uninstall it first before installing the next update. I also created an unleashed tarball for use in Puppy-unleashed.

As usual, bug reports here are appreciated as well as any other feedback. In particular please let me know how the copying feature works for you since that is brand new.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

WhoDo

#86 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:This is in no way a finished stable release in light of the new functions, so I would recommend against adding it to our CE edition for the time being, at least until some testing has been done.
Agreed. I will wait to hear from you that you believe it is stable enough to be included before adding it to the Beta.

Thanks, Nathan.

Jeff

#87 Post by Jeff »

Any chance of adding under Prefs button option a line for El-torito disk images (*.img) within the directory to be burnt. And then an option to burn that directory as is - I tend to use a file manager to set up the directory first.

Regards
Jeff.

Nathan F

#88 Post by Nathan F »

El-Torito - I could look into it but make no promises how long it will take me to add. I need to study how it is done first.

I could also let the user decide not to have the window pop open, that makes a lot of sense. Once you know how the program works you wilkl probably always set ip up beforehend anyway.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

mrpeabody

#89 Post by mrpeabody »

Anybody using grafburn for audio cds? I have been trying to make an audio (wav) cd, using the "audio" mode of grafburn. (Apparently it still burns in the "iso" format.) The files seem to be on the disk, but my Bose player can't read the disk.

I did have some success with mp3 files, using grafburn. However, that was using the "data" mode of grafburn, not the "audio" mode. My Bose player was able to find the mp3 files, even though in the "iso" format.

Hope you can make sense of this confusing post!

Thanks in advance.

Nathan F

#90 Post by Nathan F »

The audio functions are a bit primitive but they work for me. That does not mean I don't want to improve them. However, if you scan the thread you will notice that more than half of the posts are mine, meaning I have not had near enough testers for this. If you're willing to put a little effort into testing it I'm willing to put some effort into improving it.

As far as the status right now, here are some tips.
  • * To burn a normal audio cd you must have a directory with nothing but audio files, anyother files at all, or any unsupported formats and it will revert back to "iso" mode.
    * The tracks must either be wav files or they must be converted to wav as part of the process. Currently Grafburn can handle mp3 and ogg without additional programs. Other formats can be handled with additional codecs.
The most likely reason I can see for the program reverting to "iso" mode is that there might be something like an album cover in the same directory as the audio files. I can thinkof a couple ways to code around this but that is how it is implemented at this point in time.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

mrpeabody

#91 Post by mrpeabody »

here's what's happening: when I select "audio" mode, and step through the choices, when it gets to the point where it tries to burn the cd- a console-type window comes up. Almost immediately, the window disappears. So I assume it is giving me an error message, but no time to read it.

Using ^S I managed to see some of the message, but not the last few lines. It seems to be invoking cdrecord, which I had trouble with before with this same USB burner. It does recognize my h/w (model) but says: cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer. Try Linux-2.4 or Solaris. (I am running Puppy 2.14)

Funny thing is, it seems to blank the cd ok, and seems to make the iso disk ok. Do they use a different driver?

Thanks-
Scott

Nathan F

#92 Post by Nathan F »

No it is using the same 'driver', but cdrecord is being invoked a different way. Try this in the console and let me know what happens.

Code: Select all

cdrecord -pad -v dev=[yourburner] -dao speed=[yourspeed] [path_to_directory]/*.wav
Replace everything in the brackets with appropriate values for your setup, ie 'dev=/dev/hdc' and 'speed=4'.

This is the command grafburn is using to burn an audio cd, which as I said is working on my machine. But cdrecord is known to be a bit flaky and has in fact been forked by the Debian developers because of various issues. If we can't get it working reliably I may add in code to use cdrdao rather than cdrecord, if it is installed. Of course it could be thatI might just have to adjust the script somewhere.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

mrpeabody

#93 Post by mrpeabody »

Thanks Nathan- here's what I got:

cdrecord: Drive does not support SAO recording
cdrecord: Try -raw option
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive

BTW- its an HP CD-Writer+ 8290

Nathan F

#94 Post by Nathan F »

Try this. Replace the '-dao' part of the command with '-raw' and see what that does.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

mrpeabody

#95 Post by mrpeabody »

It works! :)

Nathan F

#96 Post by Nathan F »

I'll test to see if it goes OK on my hardware. If that line is compatible with most hardware I will change the program to call it that way. If not I will have to either set it up in the preferences dialog or figure out a way to detect the drive type, so I can know what command to use.

Thanks for sticking with me and helping to find a solution!

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

mrpeabody

#97 Post by mrpeabody »

Cool! thanks Nathan.

plinej

#98 Post by plinej »

Nathan I'd vote for setting it up yourself in the preferences. The burner must be old if it doesn't support disc at once.

Nathan F

#99 Post by Nathan F »

Duly noted, of course this situation is probably more common that you might think. What I think I might also go ahead and do is use cdrdao for this function if it is present on the system.

Currently working on porting it to gtkdialog3. I'm changing all the file/directory selector widgets from Xdialog to gtkdialog so they use the new style widget. I also added a preference to stop it opening a filer window in the temp directory when creating a new project. When I get time I will do some reading up on ElTorito, but it might not make the next release.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Alicemurga

spam

#100 Post by Alicemurga »

spam