TabletPC Digitizer Pen - how to make it work with Puppy?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Braden

#21 Post by Braden »

Okay, I answered most of my questions myself:

First, I did it by just opening the ISO and dumping the files to C:\ from Windows.

Second, NTFS is pending, doing the "strongly recommended" defrag first, don't want to corrupt anything.

Third, I used GRUB-for-DOS with the help of the Lin'N'WinNewB project (fantastic resource, btw. Completely up-to-date and explicit about what to do on XP or 98, no guesswork or hoping it hasn't changed in the three years since the doc was written).

Finally, I'm still a guinea pig for the tablet stuff, and I'll be seeing what happens with that tomorrow.

lickthefrog2

#22 Post by lickthefrog2 »

For those of you following along, I made a small step...

I got over the lib/cpp error according to Dougal's advice in this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... hlight=cpp

Note, this probably has nothing to do with linux-wacom, just in case someone else has the compiling error I received.

I'm happy, but can't go further just yet. Time is too precious.

Thanks for the votes of confidence and John Doe, thanks for the info about alien packages. Too much for me now, but I'll try and figure it out eventually.

-lickthefrog2

HitRSS

#23 Post by HitRSS »

Oh yes, we are following definitely.

I will try to replicate your steps this weekend and will post my findings on this thread. Keep up the great work, lickthefrog2!

Thanks!
[url=http://www.hitrss.com]HitRSS[/url] - publish and host your RSS and Blog for free

lickthefrog2

#24 Post by lickthefrog2 »

I just got Puppy to recognize my wacom digitizer. It was surprisingly easy. Many of the steps that I previously went through were not necessary, I think.

It turns out that in the linuxwacom package, there is a directory for "prebuilt" drivers and such.

Using the preconfigured driver means no compiling, I think. No need for devx___.sfs, no need to run the ./configure script that comes with linuxwacom, no need to locate the xorg-SDK.

In my case the preconfigured driver is in the 32 directory because my computer is 32-bit. Because my version of Puppy uses X11R7, all I had to do is copy the preconfigured driver, wacom_drv.so into the following directory: /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input

Then in a command prompt I typed "modprobe wacom" (this becomes autoloaded when xorg.conf is altered). Before altering xorg.conf, make a backup. It's in the directory /etc/X11.
Next, xorg.conf needs to be altered depending on your setup.

Code: Select all

Section "Module"
     Load "wacom"

To enable the Wacom device, open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add the following to the ServerLayout section:

Section "ServerLayout"
[keep whatever is currently there and add]
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
The following is for TabletPCs because the device is serial.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection 
Close xorg.conf and save it. Then you should restart X (ctrl-alt-backspace) and at the prompt type: xwin (or: startx). I don't know if you have to fully reboot or not.

That should be about it. Post your results. By the way, much of this should work for USB tablets, but some key settings are configured differently. Consult the linuxwacom site.

If someone wants to give it a try, please correct my instructions or let me know where my advice is lacking. THANKS ALREADY!

I STRONGLY recommend backing things up before messing around with xorg.conf.

Good luck,

-lickthefrog2
Last edited by lickthefrog2 on Wed 28 Feb 2007, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

Braden

#25 Post by Braden »

That worked gloriously easily for me.

Something to add to your instructions:
- Mention that after saving the xorg.conf changes, one should restart the X server. It just wasn't clear that all the setup was done and it was time to do that.

Also, I got right-clicking to work with a little Googling and an intuitive guess based on a SaX2 tutorial: there's a "Button2" option, and setting it to "3" yields right-click behaviour from the pen button.

So the way to actually make it work is to insert the line

Option "Button2" "3"
at the bottom of each of those three [tt]InputDevice[/tt] sections from above.

Also, I typed "/dev/ttySO" with a letter O, and that doesn't work, it's a zero.

lickthefrog2

#26 Post by lickthefrog2 »

Thanks for the button tip, Braden.

I found that one out and meant to post it, but I'm still swamped with grading papers, the reason why I use my tablet pc.

At first I tried Jarnal, which is pretty cool, but then I figured out how to compile xournal and that's the one I'm really enjoying. It doesn't allow for typing at all, so that's one drawback. Really good with pdf annotation. Stylus eraser works in xournal!

I was trying to figure out how to rotate the screen to portrait mode, but I'm not really dissatisfied using my tablet in landscape only. That's the way I used it with windows.

One thing still bugs me, and that's that I haven't gotten it to suspend well. The computer makes for a better notepad when it preserves the session. That's next on my list.

- lickthefrog2
Last edited by lickthefrog2 on Wed 28 Feb 2007, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

Braden

#27 Post by Braden »

I'm going to be looking into Xournal and screen rotation as well. It seems there's issues with screen rotation in X being divorced from rotation the tablet coordinates. Rotating one doesn't imply rotating the other.

Is there a way to import MS OneNote notes into any program for Linux?

lickthefrog2

#28 Post by lickthefrog2 »

It looks like I'm going to be using both jarnal and xournal because xournal has NO text at all.

Usually I handwrite over a student essay and then type my comments at the end.

That used to be GoBinder's job because it did ink and text.

xournal is less confusing and more limited, but I like it just a bit more than jarnal.

jarnal has some handwriting recognition. But handwriting recognition, which worked passably in Windows, isn't really worth it to me. That's just me. I'd rather type.

I have Xvkbd from a dotpup, which is useful when I'm in tablet mode.

There are other things like messagease and shark.

I played a bit with these on windows but typing is so much faster to me...

mdd

How about a dotpup?

#29 Post by mdd »

Does anybody intend to do a tablet PC dotpup? I've got a Fujitsu Lifebook P1510, running Puppy 2.14, and would love to get the touchscreen working.

--MDD

lickthefrog2

#30 Post by lickthefrog2 »

hi mdd,

i don't know if anybody will try to make a dotpup, but that would be months away for me to try. i have a couple of work projects ahead that take precedence.

i have seen how to create a dotpup around, but not having done it yet, i fear it might take my slow self some time to figure out.

that said, it wasn't too hard to set it up. no compiling or anything, just copying some files and editing xorg.conf.

post if you try and get stuck.

- lickthefrog

mdd

Re: How about a dotpup?

#31 Post by mdd »

mdd wrote:Does anybody intend to do a tablet PC dotpup? I've got a Fujitsu Lifebook P1510, running Puppy 2.14, and would love to get the touchscreen working.
I just realized that my Lifebook is a touchscreen, not a wacom. Any clues on how to proceed for a touchscreen?

--MDD

mdd

Re: How about a dotpup?

#32 Post by mdd »

mdd wrote:
mdd wrote:Does anybody intend to do a tablet PC dotpup? I've got a Fujitsu Lifebook P1510, running Puppy 2.14, and would love to get the touchscreen working.
I just realized that my Lifebook is a touchscreen, not a wacom. Any clues on how to proceed for a touchscreen?
Never mind. I've solved it, and it was ridiculously easy. Just go to the following link, and follow the directions:

http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/touc ... eries.html

My touchscreen is now working like a dream!

--MDD

boklanio

#33 Post by boklanio »

Hello all,

I installed Puppy 2.17 yesterday (It is actually my first Linux experience) on my Fujitsu Lifebook p1032 and I can't get the touchpanel working with it. I tried both variants (the easy one of yours and the difficult one with perl) but had no success so far.

Concerning the 1st one, I added all the parameters listed in the instruction at http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/touc ... eries.html and completed all the instructions except the last one. It's posted that it works only in Debian, so I wonder how to run it on Puppy if it's necessary...

Concerning the second one (perl method) I kept getting messages that X11GUITest module is missing in @INC so the script aborted after line 4 :(

I'm a complete newbie in Linux, so I apologize if I told something stupid :lol: In any case, can anyone please help me with diagnosing and solving it? Thank you in advance ;)

mogen317

#34 Post by mogen317 »

Hey just giving this thread a bump because these instructions posted by lickthefrog2 worked for my fujitsu stylistic 4110 tablet computer.

I think somebody should add these instructions to one of the wiki's ive seen for pupppy linux

wilsonkins

Making screen rotation work on Tablet PC's

#35 Post by wilsonkins »

Below are the scripts that I use to rotate the screen on my Toshiba Portege 400. The pen does not follow currently, but I think that is just because I do not have xsetwacom setup correctly.

Laptopmode
!/bin/sh

# Laptop Mode Script laptopmode.sh
# Made for the Toshiba Sattelite R15-S822
# Running Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10
#
# Last Updated: 11-18-2006
# Maintained by Justin "Linuturk" Phelps
# linuturk@gmail.com
#
# Move this script to /usr/local/bin
# Run 'sudo chmod +x laptop.sh'
# Reverses the effects of tabletpcmode.sh

xrandr -o normal && xsetwacom set stylus Rotate none
for dev in `xsetwacom list dev | sed -r {s/ +[a-z]*//}`; do
xsetwacom set $dev Rotate NONE
xsetwacom set $dev TopX 0
xsetwacom set $dev TopY 000
xsetwacom set $dev BottomX 24500
xsetwacom set $dev BottomY 18500
done
killall gok

Tabletmode
#!/bin/sh

# Tablet PC Mode Script tabletpcmode.sh
#
# linuturk@gmail.com
#
# Run 'sudo chmod +x tabletpcmode.sh'
# Be sure laptopmode.sh is installed as well

xrandr -o right && xsetwacom set stylus Rotate CW
xsetwacom set $dev Rotate CW
xsetwacom set $dev TopX 0
xsetwacom set $dev TopY 0
xsetwacom set $dev BottomX 18500
xsetwacom set $dev BottomY 24500
done
#gok

Reversemode
#!/bin/bash

# Laptop Mode Script laptopmode.sh
#
# linuturk@gmail.com
#
# Run 'sudo chmod +x laptop.sh'
# Reverses the effects of tabletpcmode.sh

xrandr -o inverted && xsetwacom set stylus Rotate half
xsetwacom set $dev Rotate HALF
xsetwacom set $dev TopX 000
xsetwacom set $dev TopY 000
xsetwacom set $dev BottomX 24500
xsetwacom set $dev BottomY 18500
done
killall gok

Hope the above helps. Willl let you know if I get the pen to follow.

CanisiusCanine

wilsonkins

Pen works (fort of)

#36 Post by wilsonkins »

I downloaded the linuxwacom package from the previously mentioned site and installed from the prebuilt directory. Now the pen tracks when I rotate the display, however the "doubletap-leftclick" function doesn't work. Again, I think it is just a couple of settings with xsetwacom. I also need to get it so that the pen tracks properly when i use other than my default screen resolution.

CanisiusCanine

lwill

#37 Post by lwill »

I have a "Progear" tablet with Puppy 2.17 and wanted a way of "left clicking" when using the stylus (no buttons). I hacked up a button (very ugly but works) starting with freememapplet, click on it and it swaps the left and right buttons on the "mouse" (buttons 1 and 3) If you try to use it with a mouse, you right click on it to switch, and left click on it to switch back (since the buttons are switched, left is now right)
I have no idea if it will work with other puppies. (use at own risk)
I'll post the modified source if anyone wants it.

Maybe someone else will find it useful?
Attachments
click2.gz
Mouse button switching applet.
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 837 times
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!

DanYHKim

Mobile M1300 tablet with Puppy - making the tablet work

#38 Post by DanYHKim »

lickthefrog2 wrote on Tue 20 Feb 2007"
In my case the preconfigured driver is in the 32 directory because my computer is 32-bit. Because my version of Puppy uses X11R7, all I had to do is copy the preconfigured driver, wacom_drv.so into the following directory: /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input
Then he added some stuff to xorg.conf, restarted X, and everything worked.

I'm confused. I realize I'm getting here late, but I'd appreciate some help. I get confused by references to the Wacom Digitizer, because sometimes this seems to refer to an external tablet device and not a tablet PC.

So, what I think I know is
1. The M1300 tablet PC uses a Wacom device as its digitizer
2. This digitizer is a serial device using COM1
3. The digitizer does not just show up as a serial mouse for Puppy to use
4. The Linux driver for this device is conveniently available from the linuxwacom project's package
5. Installing this device driver involves copying a file or files to appropriate location(s) in the Puppy Linux filesystem
- The file is wacom_drv.so
- The location is /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input
6. To let Puppy load up this driver on start, some text must be added to the xorg.conf file

So, is that right?

I tried this, as described in the post by lickthefrog2, and my mouse cursor occasionally moves at random over the screen when I tap it, but there's no pattern to it.

I noticed that the linuxwacom package, in the prebuilt "32" directory, has a bunch of files and folders in addition to the wacom_drv.so file. Should I put all these into /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input ?

When I look at xorg.conf later on, I can't find my edits

Finally, to show how little I understand, what's "modprobe" do?

Thanks. On those occasions when I actually have made something work, I try to post an exhaustively detailed and organized set of instructions that bore people. I am pretty good with VMware and Puppy, for instance. This stuff is a mystery to me, and I can't get it to work using the steps that I am seeing in this thread. It's probably that I am missing something that normally "goes without saying" among people familiar with Linux. Just figure that I'm stupid, and give all the details.

Thank you

DanYHKim

M1300 Pen and Puppy

#39 Post by DanYHKim »

Posted about this at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 030#599030

I haven't tried to do this from a clean installation of Puppy, so I am suddenly wondering if previous modifications of xorg.conf and rc.local may be involved as well. I'll see what I can do about making a clean install and trying again.

Environment:
Motion Computing M1300, "1000 MHz", 512 Mb RAM
Running Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 from a SD to IDE adapter

Key points are:

Download and install a wacom driver .pet package from:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/so ... 6.30.5.pet

From terminal, type the commands:

depmod
modprobe wacom_w8001 
This loads the appropriate driver.

Edit the xorg.conf file per iteration69's description, adding the three "Input Device" sections pertaining to wacom and the two "Server Layout" lines for "stylus" and "eraser".

Restart X server.

If I messed this up, I will post corrections after doing it all from scratch from a new install. I'm pretty sure this is an accurate description.

[EDIT Jan 25] I can now confirm that this works from a "clean" install of Lucid Pup 5.2.5

greengeek

#40 Post by greengeek »

lwill wrote:I have a "Progear" tablet with Puppy 2.17 and wanted a way of "left clicking" when using the stylus (no buttons). I hacked up a button (very ugly but works) starting with freememapplet, click on it and it swaps the left and right buttons on the "mouse"
Thanks Iwill - just getting this thread on my watchlist as I have been intending to develop a method for handling multiple button emulation on a non-multitouch touchscreen. I hope to give your applet a try.

I know it's an old thread but this has become a pressing issue for Puppy. (no pun intended :-) )