YouTube player won't play, gives HTML5 error

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

#1 Post by nubc »

I'm running Tahr 6.0.5 and FF Quantum 62.0.2 (32-bit) on a Dell Precision Dual Core with 4 GB ram. About a week ago, YouTube started refusing to play every other YT video, giving an HTML5 error. What has happened and how do I fix this?

My guess is that an autoupdate of FF Quantum, which typically freezes my computer necessitating hard shutdown, overwrote settings related to apulse. Can someone link me to the apulse thread by OscarTalks. That's odd, his user name did not show results when searched.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 3&start=30

How does this happen to just me, and not other Puppy users? Don't you guys use YouTube?

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

Copyright issues could be one of the things. In the past months there has definitely been a drive to disable viewing of copyrighted material altough those videos are still listed. I use Palemoon so I don't think this is browser related unless your browser do not support html5 (old browsers). Having said that - I have been able to download some videos which would not view on the youtube site.

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqtntgqhVSo
Using Palemoon
Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available.

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

video runs nicely on palemoon 28 for me... good tune by the way....
Attachments
Screenshot(13).png
(129.25 KiB) Downloaded 674 times

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Doesn't for me so my Palemoon is too old (Version25...). Could it be that the video is encoded using VP9 and not VP8?

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

yes I believe your version is definitely the cause. Even the version 27.9+ started to give me hassles with some javascript music / video players I use on various websites I've built. The recent version 28 so far has played nicely with those players and seems to run Youtube and Facebook video OK.

I also have palemoon 28+ running on Corepup-6 which is based on TinyCore Linux and that is on a IBM T-42 Pentium M 785 megs of RAM. Palemoon performs fairly well on this 2003 machine. Runs in Tahr 6.0.6 nopae on the same machine. Works with the same Tahr with a 4.17.9 kernel swapped in and using "forcepae" in the boot options. Palemoon works on this IBM T-42 when other browsers won't really at all.

oldaolgeezer

#7 Post by oldaolgeezer »

nubc:

After the yesteryear's youtube purge of flash player video formats,
I sympathize with you about the increasing difficulty of finding a
Puppy browser (Firefox - Chrome - palemoon) and Puppy
audio (ALSA - pulseaudio) and video library
software (HTML5 - H.264, MPEG codecs) being able to play the
latest round of seemingly constantly tweaked by Google youtube
video formats.

nic007 mentioned probable VP9 video encoding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9

As rockedge confirmed:
There seems to be some hope (at the moment) with "out of the box"
Puppy version and Puppy library versions and Puppy browser version:
I tried your example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqtntgqhVSo
and it played for me using palemoon version 28.1.0 32 bit running on
Puppy upupbb 18.05.

Hope this helps.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

All YT videos (as far as I know) is also available in mp4 format on their servers. Why they decided to go with .webm only viewing which requires newer and newer browsers to play it, is unfortunate. They should enable mp4 streaming from their servers.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

I'm running Tahr 6.0.5 and FF Quantum 62.0.2 (32-bit)
How is Tahrpup installed?
Frugal or full?
If frugal. Using save file or save folder?
On what storage device?
Formatted what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

fabrice_035

#10 Post by fabrice_035 »

Hey,
I already had the same problem (firefox quantum), I do not know if it's the same thing, but I solved the problem by erasing the profil folder . Or try in command line,

Code: Select all

firefox --ProfileManager
and create new profile and try the tube.

Regard.

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

Ah, thought there must be a workaround. Play the file in mp4 (or even mp3 if it's basic only audio) format with your external player like so: Go to https://getvideo.at/en/ > copy and then paste the youtube link in the "enter a video link box) > click search > all available formats for the video will be displayed > right-click on the mp4 option of your choice > select one of the open link options (I'm using Palemoon could be different for other browsers) > your distributions default mediaplayer should play it now (Tahr's VLC in my case). :)

Edit: This site works faster for youtube. https://youtubemultidownloader.net/. Copy and paste video link in box > right-click your mp4 choice in dark blue and open link.
Last edited by nic007 on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

I use PaleMoon and have no issues with YouTube.
There is a preferences setting for video to make sure is turned on.
preferences>Content>Video>enable media source extensions (MSE)

Can someone link me to the apulse thread by OscarTalks.
See if this helps you.

Just have the apulse 0.1.11 from here installed. Nothing else.
Make sure to use the correct bit version.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/
Reboot after you install it to make sure it is saved and loaded at the correct place.

You will also need this:

/root/.mozilla/firefox
Look for a directory that ends in .default

Put the user.js file in that directory.

Use Geany to make this user.js file.
This is what needs to be in it.
watchdog's code

// for using apulse with latest firefox
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
Build 58 requires user_pref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "/dev/snd/"); to be set to "16" now instead of /dev/snd/, so am currently using

// for using apulse with latest firefox
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "16");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

Bigpup, this is a frugal install, using a tahrpup 605 CD as boot device. I have two 4T hard drives. The first drive has a small partition for tahrsave and two sfs directories. The remainder of the first drive is a data partition. The second hard drive is a single data partition. All partitions are e3 file system.

Bigpup, what version of palemoon?

I'm not too thrilled about using PaleMoon instead of FF Quantum. As I recall, my preferred virtual keyboard did not work in PM's browser address field. There was also the issue of PM not having a standard YT downloader add-on.

What is the highest version to which Tahrpup 605's PM 25.8.1 will update?

a_salty_dogg

#14 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Palemoon-updater at "Menu > Internet" is deprecated and will no longer work.

Latest Palemoon version is 28.1.0 which needs to be downloaded from here (choosing the correct tarball for your OS's architecture, 32 or 64 bit), then the contents of the tarball extracted to "/opt/".

Compatible with all Puppies going back to Precise and Slacko 5.7, including all flavours of Tahr.
(Wary, and possibly Lucid (? dunno, don't use it), need watchdog's "tweak" .pet)

Updates from version 28 onwards can be performed from within the browser at "Help > About Pale Moon > Check for Updates".

s243a

#15 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:All YT videos (as far as I know) is also available in mp4 format on their servers. Why they decided to go with .webm only viewing which requires newer and newer browsers to play it, is unfortunate. They should enable mp4 streaming from their servers.
Probably mp4 doesn't support their live videos.

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

s243a wrote:
nic007 wrote:All YT videos (as far as I know) is also available in mp4 format on their servers. Why they decided to go with .webm only viewing which requires newer and newer browsers to play it, is unfortunate. They should enable mp4 streaming from their servers.
Probably mp4 doesn't support their live videos.
You can stream it with your default mediaplayer, see my above post. All you need is the correct download link. So, one can actually stream live YT videos in mp4 format even when using a very old browser (just going to take a few more clicks).

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

nubc wrote:Bigpup,

Bigpup, what version of palemoon?

I'm not too thrilled about using PaleMoon instead of FF Quantum. As I recall, my preferred virtual keyboard did not work in PM's browser address field. There was also the issue of PM not having a standard YT downloader add-on.

What is the highest version to which Tahrpup 605's PM 25.8.1 will update?
Forget PaleMoon.
The newest one has issues in Tahrpup 6.0.5
I was using it in Xenialpup64 7.5 with no problems.
Sorry for bad info!

PaleMoon 28.1.0 will work in Tahrpup 6.0.5, but video is a problem.
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#18 Post by 8Geee »

For the record, s243a brings up a very valid point that the video itself is mp4, and can be played-back as such. But .webm recodes this so that not just anyone can play back a 'universal file'.

My Firefox27 has had interesting problems over the past 3 years with Google/YouTube. Now its at the point where only an old add-on can circumvent the restriction of playback with a direct download, then playback. I have a HTML5 addon for YT that now does not work. But the Downloader still does.

After all, this IS a mp4 file. There is no reason why a browser capable of mp4 playback cannot access and playback the video. This is just plain 'dark' greed/manipulation bare naked. /rant

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

8Geee wrote:For the record, s243a brings up a very valid point that the video itself is mp4, and can be played-back as such. But .webm recodes this so that not just anyone can play back a 'universal file'.

My Firefox27 has had interesting problems over the past 3 years with Google/YouTube. Now its at the point where only an old add-on can circumvent the restriction of playback with a direct download, then playback. I have a HTML5 addon for YT that now does not work. But the Downloader still does.

After all, this IS a mp4 file. There is no reason why a browser capable of mp4 playback cannot access and playback the video. This is just plain 'dark' greed/manipulation bare naked. /rant

Regards
8Geee
Actually, youtube videos are stored in.webm, mp4 and mobile format. Check my how to (in the how to section) to stream videos if you have an old browser.

nubc

#20 Post by nubc »

nic007,
Nope, streaming as you suggest did not play the URL I provided for both your approaches. Came close using VLC, but produced a page of errors.

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'https://r3---sn-5ualdn7s.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?fvip=3&ratebypass=yes&itag=18&dur=312.354&clen=7518968&ei=326tW9HrCZz1j-8PqrOg6AQ&initcwndbps=1336250&source=youtube&requiressl=yes&ipbits=0&lmt=1481294790664061&sparams=clen%2Cdur%2Cei%2Cgir%2Cid%2Cinitcwndbps%2Cip%2Cipbits%2Citag%2Clmt%2Cmime%2Cmm%2Cmn%2Cms%2Cmv%2Cpl%2Cratebypass%2Crequiressl%2Csource%2Cexpire&ms=au%2Conr&mv=m&mt=1538092629&id=o-ABlUIFryS_rvSlI3A-UC6ZTDX9ZVccuX4GU3I_QjmhKJ&gir=yes&pl=14&expire=1538114367&mn=sn-5ualdn7s%2Csn-p5qs7n76&mm=31%2C26&ip=172.72.33.129&c=WEB&mime=video%2Fmp4&key=yt6&signature=503287FE6BBC699DB78F216F314CDAA1634C62AA.12087F01AE8D939D4CB8A15F98AA3E3D524C16E3E3'. Check the log for details.
EDIT: VLC plays some (or most) YT videos, but not all. The error above comes from the URL provided in my second post of this thread. Making some progress.