BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#601 Post by dancytron »

/offtopic
rufwoof wrote: If you re-read what I originally posted it was a simple statement as to differences in zagreb999's and my definition of 'best'. For clarity I was not banned for trolling, but for actions taken due to raised blood pressure due to trolls (in a rage I widened out my signature to unreasonable width, but by the time I'd calmed I'd already been blocked from logging back in to undo that). Your own prior posts (and Fred's "btw" opting to agree with them) are a prime example of Trolling - as defined by creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory remarks or insults.
I usually don't respond to this foolishness, but I am not going to let that little bit of revisionist history go by.

Every once and a while, in addition to your silly security fetish, you decide to go off on a purity fetish on Debian Dog and Ubuntu Dog because they aren't Puppy Project or Puppy.

You did not vandalize the board "due to raised blood pressure due to trolls."

You vandalized the board after rcrsn51 posted a contribution in a Debian Dog Thread and you trolled him (purity fetish) by asking "Is that a puppy project" to which he replied "No, but no one else seems to mind. . . " or something to that effect.

Seriously, you should be apologizing to Fred and rcrsn51 and be thankful you have been allowed back, not acting all high and mighty.

rufwoof

#602 Post by rufwoof »

dancytron wrote:I usually don't respond to this foolishness, but I am not going to let that little bit of revisionist history go by.
... but you'll jump on the bandwagon this time :lol:
Every once and a while, in addition to your silly security fetish, you decide to go off on a purity fetish on Debian Dog and Ubuntu Dog because they aren't Puppy Project or Puppy.
Silly security fetish! :) Purity fetish :) By all means carry on and belittle security as a silly fetish, to me that suggests ignorance. Hacking into a computer as a means of collecting personal data in an intrusive manner is one of the foremost means facilitated by individuals attempting to commit identity theft. Which for some can lead to dire circumstances https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... de-n817966
after rcrsn51 posted a contribution in a Debian Dog Thread and you trolled him (purity fetish) by asking "Is that a puppy project" to which he replied "No, but no one else seems to mind. . . " or something to that effect.
Ooo. Purity fetish again :) Fetish for fetishism?

Putting your lame attempts to top other insults already thrown my way just for my posting a opinion as to "better", a few have managed to drive many away. Much of former puppy discussions now occur away from the puppy forum such are the insults and vandalism (excepting FatDog, dog graffiti sprayed everywhere). Potential new users more often leave confused. I make no apologies for that.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

s243a

#603 Post by s243a »

May, I suggest that people respond to rufwoof in another thread. We don't need to derail this thread too much!

fredx181

#604 Post by fredx181 »

s243a wrote:May, I suggest that people respond to rufwoof in another thread. We don't need to derail this thread too much!
Yeah, but must be joined by a good therapist with expertise in trauma's :wink: , last things I say about it in this thread:
@rufwoof
Potential new users more often leave confused. I make no apologies for that.
OK to express your opinion about confusion, security or whatever, but deliberately trying to sabotage a thread is pure trolling, unacceptable IMO.
in a rage I widened out my signature to unreasonable width, but by the time I'd calmed I'd already been blocked from logging back in to undo that
It wasn't in your signature, it was in your post, see e.g:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 760#991760

So you wanted to undo ? Then... what's a better way to undo than apologizing ?
But you didn't and ..for me.. that says a lot.

And, as I said earlier, it would be fine for me if the 'Dogs' are in a special section something like "Other projects" but there is no such section.
Maybe you can try to force it ? (by e.g. blackmailing Flash or any other smart trick ? (Ooh... sarcasm again... :oops: )

And how about that you open special topic in the security section ?, something like: "Warning: do not use the following Operating Systems...."

Fred

rufwoof

#605 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:And, as I said earlier, it would be fine for me if the 'Dogs' are in a special section something like "Other projects" but there is no such section.
The vast majority of Debian derivative developers of which there are hundreds have the courtesy to publish their own board/web sites. Instead you opt to hijack others code/work (remember Toni)... and board. You could easily have created such a alternative forum and posted a link to that in the Puppy Misc/Other Distros section - you chose not to, which has had the effect of vandalising and detracting from Puppy development (primarily woof) and driven prior and potential users away from Puppy. Your Debian livecd derivatives are neither a Puppy (woof) variant, nor a pupplet nor a remaster. Rather it is a variant of Debian Live, But you know that, and I am at a loss as to the motivation behind that. Perhaps to squash Puppy to promote your own ends. Perhaps you are intentionally seeking out direct backdoor root access into others PC's via your own repositories. Who knows, you certainly seem to put in way too much time and effort so there's clearly some form of personal motivation.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

fredx181

#606 Post by fredx181 »

Geez... Flash, can you ban this guy again ?, he is obviously still the same jerk.

Moat

#607 Post by Moat »

Yes, no kidding, Flash - this disturbed human being does not deserve to be interacting among the good people here on the forum - period.

Bob

backi

#608 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !

One Question regarding your upgraded apt2sfs........does it now work this Way,
when adding a third Party Repo (for Example newest Version Smplayer/Smtube from their Website ), it will automatically pull this One from their Repo to create the XXXX.squashfs ?
If not ,how to accomplish ? Hope you understand what i mean .

Thanks in Advance !

rufwoof

#609 Post by rufwoof »

Flash, as others are calling for me to be banned - for rerference, the relevant first post that has induced a hail of personal abuse/insults is located here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 01#1005501. Common knowledge but perhaps I should have linked to https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian when posting
turns Debian into a FrankenDebian as they call it
. Rather than edit that post I've left it as-is so you can consider it in its unedited form.

Participants should be permitted to post their views and opinions without a barrage of personal attacks and insults.

fredx181

#610 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !

One Question regarding your upgraded apt2sfs........does it now work this Way,
when adding a third Party Repo (for Example newest Version Smplayer/Smtube from their Website ), it will automatically pull this One from their Repo to create the XXXX.squashfs ?
If not ,how to accomplish ? Hope you understand what i mean .

Thanks in Advance !
Hi backi, yes, latest apt2sfs from Bionicdog repo (v1.1.3) should do that now.

Fred

mikeslr

#611 Post by mikeslr »

@Flash,

Anyone who posts to a public forum should expect to receive valid criticism. I use the term "valid" to mean an honest appraisal and critic of the object offered to the public and/or the information provided by the post itself. It is perfectly proper to criticize an idea or its implementation. That is entirely different from criticizing the person offering it.

We all have our quirks. rufwoof's seems to be a concern for security and a desire at almost OCD level to inform us about how he's handled it. That's not to say that even when something has triggered him to post about it the information he posts isn't accurate or that such posts aren't informative.

The truth is that Puppies and Dogs do suffer from the potential security flaws rufwoof writes about. Most of us, however, consider those flaws minor blemishes we are willing to live with. We just get tired of hearing about them.

When he is on point about some other problem his posts are informative, well thought-out and helpful.

I could name a half dozen other members of this forum whose posts are almost always a waste of everyone's time: failing to learn from prior advice given, making the same mistakes and seeking the same advice previously given. "Oh, him again." But than, more charitably, I think, "Well, maybe that's his method of coping, of reaching out to the World."

The best way to deal with rufwoof's obsession is not to ban rufwoof, but simply ignore it: Smile, think to oneself "Oh, old rufwoof has gotten on his soap box again" and move on to the next post.

@ rufwoof,

You've published a really good "How to". The next time you 'get the urge', rather than post to the thread you're then reading, review your "How to", add to it, change it, embellish it; and then on the thread which triggered that action, simply post something like "This suffers from the same problem I've discussed here, with my work-around. (link)."

mikesLr

backi

#612 Post by backi »

Hi mikeslr !
Just did not want further join this crazy scuffle .
But want to support your moderate Attitude .It is a fair Statement........
To be honest .......i dont feel comfortable when people get banned.
Another example is Pelo/Hamamoudou....sure ...it can be quite annoying....but.... ...........let them do their eccentric Stunts...
...just ignore it---get over it......it is a bit like Streetnoise.... ...... nothing which can really kill you.

rufwoof

#613 Post by rufwoof »

mikeslr wrote:@ rufwoof,
All I did was make one post/remark directed at zagreb999 about the subjectivity of perception of 'better'.

s243a

#614 Post by s243a »

I created a new thread where we can hopefully move the discussion of rufwoof criticisms into:

So called Frankin Debian's and other barksbarks

zagreb999

#615 Post by zagreb999 »

dd and xd is undoubtedly the best linux!

everyone can use
root or non-root!

dcung

#616 Post by dcung »

I wanted a CUPS pdf printer (to print to pdf file).
From repo, found printer-driver-cups-pdf that sounds like what I am after.
Installed it and have 2 additional PDF printers in CUPS.

I tried printing (from Firefox), all 3 jobs completed, and didn't give errors.
But where are they, what are they called? Don't they usually ask first where and what file name to create?

I basically want to be able to print (to pdf file) when in Firefox mostly.

EDIT:
Found this link, that tells me it's in Home (puppy) PDF dir.
PDF dir is there, but it's empty ?
Anyway, let me digest the link first... :)
http://keeshink.blogspot.com/2009/01/wh ... -file.html

EDIT 2:
Found them - in /var/spool/cups.

I was going to view them, need pdf viewer.
Installing evince-common.. :(
Fred...pls help... :D :D
Attachments
2018-09-26-094009_502x336_scrot.png
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times

stemsee

#617 Post by stemsee »

Hi Fred, et al.

I am running BionicDog on a cherrytrail 2-in-1 tablet. When I boot from usb dongle boots to desktop fine. However when I try to boot from frugal install on /dev/mmcblk0p2 (fat32, EFI-grub) it proceeds nicely up until it stops at 'searching for SGN'. I found the section in linuxrc (in initrd) and tried to implement a workaround. I also copied the bionic-x86_64.sgn to the initrd >/casper/$SGN. Nothing worked!

It seems that mounting partitions from the init script depends wholly on fstab, which is empty.

Please suggest a workaround, even hardcoded, that should work!

I am using a custom kernel, which also woks fine on same hardware with FatDog.

Cheers
stemsee

mikeslr

Printing Webpage as a pdf

#618 Post by mikeslr »

Hi dcung,

I'm not sure that you're not overcomplicating it. To print a webpage as a pdf, merely open the webpage in firefox --other browsers may be similar, but I haven't set them up-- select File>print, Select Print-to-file, Click the "File:" box, select the location to print to, and give it a name. Click Print.

Getting a dedicated pdf viewer is another story. But until you do, you can open pdfs in firefox: File> Open File, browse to pdf, select and open.

fredx181

#619 Post by fredx181 »

josepinto wrote:I have Evince 2.32 installed but cannot open PDF files although poppler is installed as well.
dcung wrote:I was going to view them, need pdf viewer.
Installing evince-common..
Obviously there's something wrong with the (older) evince package from custom Bionicdog64 repository and updating gives error (as dcung reported), couldn't figure out what's the problem, so decided to remove it from this repo.
To replace this existing older package with the official evince Ubuntu package:

Code: Select all

apt-get purge evince
apt-get install evince
Sorry for the inconvenience.

@stemsee
I am running BionicDog on a cherrytrail 2-in-1 tablet. When I boot from usb dongle boots to desktop fine. However when I try to boot from frugal install on /dev/mmcblk0p2 (fat32, EFI-grub) it proceeds nicely up until it stops at 'searching for SGN'. I found the section in linuxrc (in initrd) and tried to implement a workaround. I also copied the bionic-x86_64.sgn to the initrd >/casper/$SGN. Nothing worked!
Sorry, I don't know, as said earlier, there are more reports of boot failure.
/etc/fstab is empty on purpose, btw.
Does it boot on the same hardware with the default kernel as included in the ISO ?

Fred

dcung

Re: Printing Webpage as a pdf

#620 Post by dcung »

mikeslr wrote:Hi dcung,

I'm not sure that you're not overcomplicating it. To print a webpage as a pdf, merely open the webpage in firefox --other browsers may be similar, but I haven't set them up-- select File>print, Select Print-to-file, Click the "File:" box, select the location to print to, and give it a name. Click Print.

Getting a dedicated pdf viewer is another story. But until you do, you can open pdfs in firefox: File> Open File, browse to pdf, select and open.
Hi Mikeslr,

That's the first thing I did in Firefox yesterday, Mike. Both the printing part and the viewing part (the pdf created by CUPS-pdf, after Firefox failed to create). Both didn't work. I couldn't be bothered troubleshooting it. I resorted to rebooting to Fatdog64 and I can view the PDF in Fatdog's evince viewer.

But, since I also in need of virtual PDF printer and (working) viewer in BionicDog, I realized I haven't got them, then I proceeded to install.

I am not trying to over complicate things, I blame Murphy for his law, didn't even let me do simple thing like printing pdf smoothly... :lol: .
I usually can work around most problems and find other ways to resolve my need at the time.

I am just reporting a problem found. :)

If I really want to, I can use/download thousands of pdf viewer (nah...maybe a few, not thousands... :oops: ).

I understand that you're trying to help me to view the pdf while Fred 'fix' the package or I have a permanent solution. No problem here, resolved already... Appreciate it, Thanks...:)