Ways to increase speeds using wvdial

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Ways to increase speeds using wvdial

#1 Post by nic007 »

I have a 3G USB modem, max rated download speed 7Mbps. I can only get 1.4Mbps max download speed using wvdial (pupdial). Using Windows' DUN I get very close to the max. Why is wvdial so limited and can something been done to give it a kick up the a...? I've increased the baud in the config file with no noticeable improvement. Are there any other alternatives that are better?

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

What wvdial.conf are you using?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 695#990695

AT commands could be used in init line to switch 3G, Gprs, LTE,... AT commands are modem specific.

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Tried a few extra AT specific strings (examples actually found in wvdial.conf) with no difference in performance. :( An interesting observation: when downloading from a specific site I get -
1) A max D/L speed of 1.2Mbps for 1 file using wvdial and Opera or Palemoon. Using Windows downloading same file from same site I get only 0.5Mbps for the one file using Opera/Palemoon BUT
Downloading 8 files simultaneously from the same site the D/L speed when using wvdial stays at 1.2Mbps for all the files combined whereas with Windows DUN I get 0.5Mbps for each of the files = 4Mbps.
2) Using "Downthemall" addon for Palemoon the max D/L speed stays constant with wvdial at about 1.2Mbps. Downloads go crazy when using Windows DUN with this addon, maxing out at the max for the modem.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

I would imagine that most of the difference is down to buffering.
There are also some deliberate limits set in some OS's so that some bandwidth is reserved for control purposes.
The same happens with the human brain. No matter how much you concentrate on one thing, your brain will always take note of something dangerous happening - even though you may choose to ignore it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

There's a massive difference though with Windows' DUN utilizing max bandwith and thus being 5 times faster/more efficient as far as dial-up connections go. BTW - I don't even have extra specific AT strings for the Windows setup. So - Puppy is okay for general browsing but fast downloads to be done with Windows.

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

Unless you specifically override it, Windows will only EVER USE 80% of the available bandwidth.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Yes, I think that is about right...whereas Puppy seems to use only 20%. :(

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Puppy does not buffer by default.

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

So do you have any concrete ideas what I can do as user to make it perform better?

jafadmin

#10 Post by jafadmin »

Without knowing the specific product :roll:

It sounds like on windows your device first tries the DC-HSPA+ mode which typically rolls around 7-8 mbits, then negotiates downward to HSPA+ then to plain HSPA mode if needed.

On your puppy config, it sound like your modem is starting at HSPA mode which typically gets about 1.5 mbits performance.

Negotiating between the various mode's handshaking is typically handled on the modem hardware, not in OS software. Just like on a plain old serial 56k modem.

You will need to find your modem's command to force it to start in DC-HSPA+ mode, and set that in the config file ..

That's all I gots without knowing more ..

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

It's a cellphone with 3G modem. If I use it on a fast LTE network same happens. I think it's again a situation where Windows is just superior because it has a specific driver for the specific model of phone. Linux probably using something generic.

jafadmin

#12 Post by jafadmin »

nic007 wrote:It's a cellphone with 3G modem. If I use it on a fast LTE network same happens. I think it's again a situation where Windows is just superior because it has a specific driver for the specific model of phone. Linux probably using something generic.
It's a modem. Modems don't have device drivers. They attach to serial ports. The serial ports have the device drivers. A "3G modem" is just Cellular modem attached to a USB serial port. It's no different than using a cell phone on a tether, or a US Robotics 56k.

All modems have a configuration string called an 'AT' string that needs to go into your config file.

Look up the brand of the modem and research what it's AT command set is. All modems are a little bit different once you get past the Hayes command set.

Or .. you can choose to curse the darkness.

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

It's a Samsung U900 Soul . It has a specific Windows driver, without that installed you can't connect to the internet using Windows. Linux has some generic crap. Never had to place any AT strings manually anywhere, it finds whatever it needs and connects automatically.

Burn_IT

#14 Post by Burn_IT »

Have you tried using the Windows driver in Puppy. There is a specific tool for this very purpose.
NDISWRAPPER

jafadmin

#15 Post by jafadmin »

Ok, so it's not a USB 3G modem. It's a older cell phone. You want to tether it.

For that you need a network driver instead of wvdial. Put the windows networking driver for it in an ndis wrapper (if needed) and connect instead using Dougal's Network Wizard ..

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

I connect with Windows dialup.

jafadmin

#17 Post by jafadmin »

On my phone (Motorola) I just turn on tethering and plug a USB cable to it.

From a stock Precise 5.7.1 iso (RAM mode) the network manager recognizes it automatically as a USB network device. I just click the DHCP button and it's all set.

No extra drivers needed ..