How to install Chrome in Quirky Beaver?

Booting, installing, newbie
Lend27

How to install Chrome in Quirky Beaver?

#1 Post by Lend27 »

I just installed the new Quirky Beaver to my HDD and I would like to add some software and configure drivers for my specific hardware.
I just need to be pointed in the right direction to be able to install
Google-Chrome and install drivers for my Nvidia card and my Broadcom wifi card.
Also, how do I install and use new desktop icons? I installed faenza icons using petget but they do not show in my list of icons using the setup utility, even after rebooting.
Also, does Quirky use Pet files same as regular Puppy Linux?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Len

roadkill13

#2 Post by roadkill13 »

Also, how do I install and use new desktop icons? I installed faenza icons using petget but they do not show in my list of icons using the setup utility, even after rebooting.
There are no Faenza icon sets available (for puppy) for download from the petget package manager in it's default configuration. The icons available for puppy will be in the "pet-noarch" category of petget.

You can get Faenza icon sets configured for use in puppy from the "icons" thread in the "Additional Software, Eye Candy" section of the forum.

The icon set that you installed with petget came from the Ubuntu repositories and are configured for use with Ubuntu desktops.
I just need to be pointed in the right direction to be able to install
Google-Chrome and install drivers for my Nvidia card and my Broadcom wifi card.
I installed Chromium from the petget package manager. I am posting from it now. Chromium is the project that Google Chrome is based on. It will not run as root but can be configured as user "spot" with the login manager (available from console or Quicksetup first run utility found in the setup section of the application menu).

If you want Google Chrome instead of Chromium there are a couple of ways to get it. It can be installed from the *.deb package downloadable from Google and then configured for use as Spot. Also user Mike Walsh has a 64bit version of Google Chrome available for download. You can find it in the "Browser and Internet" section of the "Additional Software" category on the forum. Be aware that this is an *sfs package so you check this link for more information on how to load an sfs on a full install of puppy. This should apply to quirky as well.
drivers for my Nvidia card and my Broadcom wifi card
I do not have that hardware, however a quick search of google using "puppy linux: nvidia drivers" returned a number of interesting results. I do recall having read a lot of forum posts regarding these drivers. It is a common need. It usually comes up for discussion in threads dedicated to recent puppy releases.

Quirky is different than puppy but it still uses *.pet package management and a puppy like package manager. Many of the same features are present.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Lend27:-

Having never used any of Barry's 'Quirky' series, I've no idea how they're set up to run. Are they configured to run as /root, a là Puppy.....or as a multi-user set-up, like mainstream distros?

If you read the warning at the top of the first post on the Chrome thread, this applies to the way that the .deb package interferes with permissions in a 'normal' Puppy. The .deb is written to work OOTB with a conventional, multi-user distro, and alters permissions accordingly.

Recent Puppy SFS packages of 64-bit Chrome (the only kind you can now get, anyway), have had to have Chrome running under user 'spot', inside the /root directory. 'Spot', however, has its permissions set differently to everything else inside /root.

I had to rebuild the Chrome SFS package the other day for Bionicpup64, philb666's new Puppy release. It's been done the way that Fatdog has run internet apps for some time, by creating a /home directory at the same level as /root, then creating a 'spot' directory under that. Chrome still runs as user 'spot', only now from the /home directory. Which brings it into line with mainstream distros, which always run everything from /home/*user's name*.

Slowly but surely, Puppy's gradually losing its unique identity, as builders of the major browsers /apps, etc., are now building them in such a way that they refuse to 'run as root'. It's designed to keep you safe & secure, and to save you from your own foolishness, should you want to do something 'dangerous' like running as /root. (*Horrors..!*). :shock:
---------------------------------------------------------

I've no idea if the Quirkys can make use of normal Puppy SFS packages. If you're running a 'full' install, I would imagine the usual caveats apply; it's a 'permanent' install of the app, since a 'full' install doesn't use the SFS loader, and thus there is no way to 'uninstall' if you want to change/remove/update (because nothing is written to the package lists, and so the PPM has no information to work with).

If you need it, I guess I could run you up a .pet package of Chrome; I believe the Quirkys are all 64-bit, yes? Let me know what's wanted, please.

Mike. :wink:

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: How to install Chrome in Quirky Beaver?

#4 Post by BarryK »

Lend27 wrote:Also, how do I install and use new desktop icons? I installed faenza icons using petget but they do not show in my list of icons using the setup utility, even after rebooting.
Also, does Quirky use Pet files same as regular Puppy Linux?
Any help is appreciated.
I am running Quirky Beaver 8.7.1 right now. Went through the exercise:

Click "petget" icon at top of screen, this launches the package manager.
Chose "Brown Marble" desktop icons, in the "pet-noarch" repo
Menu "Desktop -> Desktop icon switcher"

...yep, get the icons.

This is all the same as any pup, except the label for the PPM icon is "petget".
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Mike Walsh,
Yes, Quirky normally runs as a full install, but can also be a live-CD with sfs files.

The usual thing though is full install, so no sfs file support, unless you convert it to a pet.

If you use my other experimental distro, EasyOS, that is all sfs files, aufs, no full install option at all.

Yes also, normal run as root, like pups, with option to run any app as user 'spot' -- menu "Setup -> QuickSetup" offers option to run apps as spot.

Um, get to it directly, menu "System -> Login and Security Manager"

With EasyOS, there is a new paradigm, it is easy to run any app in a container. It still runs as root, but highly constrained. EasyOS has retained the spot option, if wanted.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

BarryK wrote:Mike Walsh,

Yes, Quirky normally runs as a full install, but can also be a live-CD with sfs files.

The usual thing though is full install, so no sfs file support, unless you convert it to a pet.
Thanks for the confirmation, Barry.

I know the last few years have seen an explosion of different 'types' of 'Puppy'; your own experimental stuff; the 'Dogs'; now stuff like 'Corepup', plus multiple re-masters in all directions.....it's becoming a rarity to see releases of what I tend to think of as 'normal' Pups!

Be that as it may (and bearing in mind what you've just posted), I think I'd better start producing a Chrome .pet package, in addition to the SFS. I've always been rather loathe to do so, simply because of the enormous size Chrome's steadily ballooning into; with a .pet, of course, it's permanently taking up 'Puppy-space' in the save-file.

But if we have community releases that are unable to take advantage of an SFS, that is no reason they should be excluded (simply because of my packaging 'choices'.)

Apparently many of the newer breeds are able to install the Chrome .deb direct, without it corrupting file permissions in the initrd_rw 'layer'..?? I shall still continue to produce Chrome packages, however, as I've always been a firm believer in 'choice in all things'. Which is, of course, good for the community.

Cheers.

Mike. :wink: