Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 11 Dec 2018, 21:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Bionicpup64 7.9.7 CE beta
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 29 [422 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
artsown

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2018, 13:26    Post subject:  

@rockedge
I didn't bookmark the url where I found this Psync-2.6.pet that works
well in bionicpup64, so I thought I'd upload it:
http://home.ptd.net/~artnpeg/Psync-2.6.pet

Art
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2018, 15:05    Post subject: Psync  

artsown wrote:
@rockedge
I didn't bookmark the url where I found this Psync-2.6.pet that works
well in bionicpup64, so I thought I'd upload it:
http://home.ptd.net/~artnpeg/Psync-2.6.pet

Art
Thank you, Art!
Sheldon

rockedge

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2018, 15:38    Post subject:  

Thank you artsown!!

downloaded, installed, worked.
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 05:29    Post subject:  

Hello 666philb

BionicPup64 seems to get very confused about which USB storage device is connected to which drive icon. And there may be an icon where the device is not present or no icon where there is an drive. It seems to happen when the device is removed while that copy of BP64 is not running.

I had the following: an icon sdb1 that was not connected to sdb1 although sdb1 was present. So clicking the button opened the pmount dialogue, which would then mount sdb1.

I also had sdc1 and sdc2 icons without sdc connected. When I connected sdc the sdc1 icon connected to sdc1 but a new sdb2 icon appeared which was connected to sdc2.

when I unplugged sdc the sdb icons disappeared, and when I unplugged sdb the sdc icons disappeared.

So I can regain sanity by plugging unplugging replugging all of the devices while that copy of Bp64 is running.

I hope that makes sense...

EDIT - BUT having restored sanity, if I power off and on again with the devices connected, the garbled arrangement comes back.

So there seems to be some persistent data that is not being deleted or cleaned up during a boot, which has precedence over the proper state.

EDIT2 - This seems to be related to the way drive letters are assigned to USB ports. And different parts of BionicPup64 are doing it differently.

I am using two USB3 ports. When a single device is plugged in it is always sdb, regardless of which port it is connected to. If I add a second device it gets sdc. But if I boot with both devices connected the drive letters are always assigned in a fixed relation to the ports, not the order they were first connected. This doesn't cause any problems on XenialPup64.

But BionicPup64 seems to keep some record of how they were and one part of the system tries to reinstate that, but it fails when the devices have a different number of partitions.

Since their are a near infinite number of permutations of which of my four usb drives I connect to which of the six usb ports, I don't see how a persistent configuration can work with removable media, particularly if you have multiple copies of BionicPup64.

With XenialPup64 the order of the drive letters assigned at boot is determined systematically according to the hardware arrangement.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 06:51    Post subject:  

@ LateAdopter:-

I had this this exact same problem when I was implementing suspend on my desktop, along with a modified version of the LogOutGUI. Every time it came back from suspend, the drive icons were on different mount points.....and sym-links into those drives weren't working.

Udev-rules fixed it for me. Jafadmin came up with a custom set of modified udev-rules scripts which are extremely easy to set up. The drive icons will keep changing on the desktop itself.....but your sym-links will all come from the new, permanent mount-points you set up with udev-rules.

If you think this sounds like what you want, have a look here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112558

Hope that helps. (If you're not clear about things, just ask; I've set this up in enough Pups I can almost do it blindfold, but the .pet provides a clear 'Read-me' in /root anyway.)

Mike. Wink

LateAdopter

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 08:35    Post subject:  

Hello Mike
Thanks for the link, but I'm not trying to fix the traditional way drive letters are assigned on a PC. In this case it's because BionicPup64 is broken.

I'm typically using usb port 1 and port 5. If I boot up with drives connected to both ports then port 1 is sdb and port 5 is sdc to start with.
If I boot up with just a drive connected to port 5, I get an icon for sdb1 that is not connected to anything, because something in BP64 thinks it should be sdc1. If I click on the icon, the pmount dialogue box opens showing sdb1 and I can mount it, and the cross appears on the icon.

It gets more confused if I plug in my 1TB disk, which has two partitions, into port 1. At this point it gets sdc1 and sdc2, which is correct.

But if I reboot with both drives still connected I get four icons for three partitions in this order: sdb1 is port 1 1st partition, sdc1 port 5, sdc2 for nothing, sdb2 for port 1 2nd partition.

Clicking the sdb1 icon opens the pmount dialogue rather than mounting the partition.

In XenialPup64 drives that are present at boot are assigned letters in the order of the port number and drives that are plugged in after boot get letters in the order they are plugged in. There are no ghost icons from the past..
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 09:09    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
LateAdopter wrote:

With BionicPup, on my Braswell N3150 box, I have changed to the intel driver which also required a change of kernel.
I have removed compton from startup because it was causing tearing with media playback

Thanks again.

Hi LateAdopter,

it's annoying that the modesetting driver now overrides the intel driver, as the screen tearing is really bad! it is supposed to enable it but doesn't on any intel graphics that i've tested it on.

-SNIP-

before you try the above though (which is the best option), with the original kernel can you try editing /root/.config/compton.conf and changing line 33 (approx, it's the vsync line) to
Code:
vsync = "drm";
and restart compton and see if there's any improvement

Hello 666philb
I installed Gnome-mpv and libmpv on a base copy of Bionicpup64, to test the tearing, but I didn't get very far:
With the modesetting driver, xrandr doesn't seem able to set the refresh rate to 50Hz to match the video.
The Alsa wizard says "no audio devices found" and Gnome-mpv refuses to play without audio.

Anyway It's OK with my kernel and the the Intel driver, so I'll continue testing that configuration.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 09:52    Post subject:  

@ LateAdopter:-

Mm. I do find that some of the newer Puppies, especially those built with the recent variants of Woof-CE, also seem to have a hell of a job making their minds up just exactly what they're going to show on the desktop.

I don't think it's anything directly to do with pMount. But, at boot, the drive icons show first one way, then they all disappear and come back in a different order, then they jumble themselves up (often one on top of another), before eventually settling down.....though never in the correct order.

I first noticed this in peebee's Upup Bionic 18.05. Then again in the 'upgrade' Sailor Enceladus did on Micko's 'classic' Slacko 570; Slacko 571. Now, I see Bionic64's doing it, too.

I usually end up right-clicking any icon and running the 'Drive Icon Manager', then ticking the checkbox for 'Refresh and re-align icons'. Except the Event Manager in Upup and Slacko 571 is missing that checkbox.....so I transplanted the Event Manager from my 32-bit version of Xenial, the earlier 7.0.8.1. That, fortunately, still had the checkbox.....and swapping the two over doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects. Like the LogOutGUI, it appears to be a self-contained item.

But I rather suspect there's communication 'issues' between pMount, the Event Manager, and Rox/JWM. That's what it looks like to me. Whether a 'bug', or actually 'broken'.....I wouldn't like to say!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 18:07; edited 1 time in total
Revolverve

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 11:34    Post subject:  

Thats a nice comeback !

Thanks 666philb

Havent seen more then already reported problems so far.
Clock is ticking for trusty tahrpup64 ...
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 13:26    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
I usually end up right-clicking any icon and running the 'Drive Icon Manager', then ticking the checkbox for 'Refresh and re-align icons.

-SNIP-

But I rather suspect there's communication 'issues' between pMount, the Event Manager, and Rox/JWM. That's what it looks like to me. Whether a 'bug', or actually 'broken'.....I wouldn't like to say!
Mike. Wink

Hello Mike
Thanks for the tip about the Desktop Icon Manager. I did that and it cleared up the spurious drive icons.

BionicPup64 is working very well for me now. I have only needed a few extra symlinks in the Puppy Standard Icons to get Gnome-mpv a full set.

I can now start spring cleaning my archive of XenialPup64 remasters and gain a lot of space.

Thanks 666philb
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 17:17    Post subject: Shutdown OK under ozsouth's recent 4.14.69 kernel
Subject description: YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY VARY

Hi All,

Just wanted to report that having switched to ozsouth's Hugh-Kernal 4.14.69, bionicpup64 appears to properly shutdown, responding to both tabs into NoSave, and back to Save as well as just pressing the 'n' key to not Save, that is complying with the displayed instructions and the implications of the Red N in "NoSave". Will test whether it also responds to the Right-Arrow, Left-Arrow keys. [See p.s. below].

Unlike the default kernel in Xenialpup64 (published before meltdown/spectre was discovered) ozsouth's kernel provides some (perhaps all currently available) protection. On my system it reports the following:

Linux Kernel: 4.14.69-s64oz (x86_64)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Sat Sep 22 17:58:28 AEST 2018
Build GCC: 7.3.0

l1tf : Mitigation : PTE Inversion
meltdown : Mitigation : PTI
spec_store_bypass : Vulnerable
spectre_v1 : Mitigation : __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2 : Mitigation : Full generic retpoline

Development:
Bash: 4.4.19
Geany: 1.33
Gtkdialog: 0.8.4
Perl: 5.26.1
Python: 2.7.15rc1
Yad: 0.40.0 (GTK+ 2.24.32)
--
busybox: 1.28.1
dhcpcd: 6.6.2
Glibc: 2.27
OpenSSL: 1.1.0g 2 Nov 2017, built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
wpa_supplicant: 2.6

I wonder if any the application version noted above may have something to do with why it functions properly while many other builds have not.

The kernel and kernel sources can be obtained by following this link: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1005372#1005372

Remember this kernel was built with Slackos in mind. You'll need to obtain, rename and include in your BionicPup64's folder an fdrv.sfs. (firmware).

Bye the way, Thanks ozsouth. Very Happy

Edit: The above was my experience on a Dell Optiplex 790. On my laptop, a Lenovo something, only the Tab to No Save worked.

mikesLr

p.s. Pressing the Right-Arrow key works, but not as I expected. As you know, the Shutdown dialog has a "Save" box on the Left which is highlighted/Selected-by default if you just press Return/Enter and a "NoSave" box on the Right. Do nothing and shutdown without Saving will occur in 60 seconds. The instructions are that you can Tab to the "NoSave" box and press Enter to exit immediately without Saving. But my experience is that rather than press Tab you could press the Right-Arrow Key to highlight the "NoSave" box. Under BionicPup64 with the kernel and environment described above, pressing the Right-Arrow Key immediately shutsdown without Saving.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 23:42    Post subject:  

Frugal install, save folder, on usb hard drive, format ext 3.

Seems to be random when this happens.

Click on a desktop drive icon.
Rox opens showing contents.
Do something to change what is in the partition. (Delete, add, move, etc....)
Usually if another program is adding something.
The change is not shown in the Rox window.
If I refresh the Rox window, it now shows the change.

James C

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep 2018, 02:02    Post subject:  

Not much time to test so far but I can report no problem with shutdown and sound is working fine so far, in Chrome at least.
Bionicpup64.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   65.32 KB
 Viewed   499 Time(s)

Bionicpup64.jpg

melon688

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep 2018, 03:00    Post subject:  

when shutdown or reboot,
compaq c500 is OK.

but Dell 1535 stop at this screen:

( 9-26 update : Dell 1535 run bionicpup64-7.9.4-uefi.iso has no this problem. Thanks.)
0IMAG0640.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  0IMAG0640.jpg 
Filesize  216.13 KB 
Downloaded  71 Time(s) 

Last edited by melon688 on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 21:52; edited 2 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep 2018, 17:31    Post subject: Openshot 1.4.3
Subject description: Thanks, Mike Walsh

Hi All,

Just a link to this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1005644#1005644
Page 6 of 29 [422 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: