Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
johnywhy

#1341 Post by johnywhy »

i created good Devuan xfce iso using Fred's newest script. Used default options/packages.

Able to login into puppy desktop without any special tweaks.
Great!

i notice on clicking Log Out button in puppy whisker, only "Logout" is available. Shutdown and others are grayed out.

Any idea why?

----

I notice other partitions aren't listed in puppy Thunar or desktop. However, those partitions are available in the /mnt directory.

Any ideas?

----

Also, i notice many icons are missing from puppy desktop and menu, cuz icon theme isn't set correctly.

if i set icon theme in Appearance to Faenza, now all icons display correctly. Great! Now i'll research a way to set default theme for all users, so puppy (and any other new users) get correct icons on first boot.

cheers!
Last edited by johnywhy on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 19:04, edited 3 times in total.
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

#1342 Post by fredx181 »

Hi johnywhy,

Instead of describing how to fix, here's a new "zz_xfce_config.squashfs"
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/mo ... g.squashfs
Just replace the old one in your frugal install "live" folder with this one (and reboot).
It's a lot smaller because in the old one I forgot to remove folder 'new' in /root (no need for that)

This will fix most of the problems that we discussed before, e.g. logged in as puppy:
- startx works
- synaptic and gparted work (modified .desktop launchers in ~/.local/share/applications)
- logout from whisker menu is obshutdown (original is xfce4-session-logout, but couldn't figure out to make it work, indeed, as you said, only Logout is visible)
- drive icons will show on the desktop and in Thunar

Note: if you use this .squashfs, you must start with fresh, empty save file or folder.

Any new build with mklive-stretch or mklive-devuan (using XFCE option) will now make use of this new zz_xfce_config.squashfs

Fred

fredx181

#1343 Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:What files can I copy (or modified) from default 'root' to non-root users so that the desktop icons do not get under conky?
Configuration for that is in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/
It's name depends on your resolution, for me it's "icons.screen0-1264x756.rc"
So, the best you can do is: move the icons to where you want, and it will be reflected in that config file.

EDIT: But (after you did above) if you want it resolution independent, rename it to "icons.screen0.rc" (which already exist, delete that first)
Then delete the others with resolution in the name so that only "icons.screen0.rc" exist in that directory (but note, after restarting X, the file with resolution in the name will be recreated)
A bit complicated it is, but that's how I did it to make remaster for sharing.
Also I deleted the lines for the drive icons from icons.screen0.rc e.g.

Code: Select all

[435ca105-39cb-496b-a789-70bd2ecee7e2]
row=5
col=0
Fred

mikeslr

Whisker Menu Exit/Shutdown command

#1344 Post by mikeslr »

johnywhy wrote: i notice on clicking Log Out button in puppy whisker, only "Logout" is available. Shutdown and others are grayed out. Any idea why?
Hi johnywhy,

I'm not running this OS, but from experience with Whisker menu on others, it would appear that the correct Exit command is not being used. What you'll have to do is track down the correct command. If you still have jwm, examine the Exec= arguments in the desktop files at /usr/share/applications which would trigger shut down routines. These files may actually bear "shutdown" in its name. Then pfind (or equivalent) the executable. If desktop files don't provide a hint, start with pfind and search for Exit, Shutdown and any other term you think may be appropriate. Sometimes the entire path will be required.

It would help is someone already knows what command triggers the correct shutdown routine.

Once you've identified the correct Exit/shutdown routine, Right-Click the Whisker Icon, Select Properties, Left-Click the Commands Tab, and replace the command in the Log Out box.

fredx181

#1345 Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote:It would help is someone already knows what command triggers the correct shutdown routine.
Thanks Mike, but it has not to do with .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.
It's about the default logout dialog command for xfce4, which is:

xfce4-session-logout
When logged in as root, it will display everything, e.g. shutdown reboot etc..
But when logged in as unprivileged user, it only shows "Logout" (others greyed out).
As I said, no idea how to solve that, but the obshutdown dialog does the job ok, so no real problem IMO.

Fred

johnywhy

#1346 Post by johnywhy »

fredx181 wrote:here's a new "zz_xfce_config.squashfs"
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/mo ... g.squashfs
Just replace the old one
Fantastic. Thx Fred! Will this new one be used next time i run your mk script?

======
fredx181 wrote:the obshutdown dialog does the job ok, so no real problem
but, in obshutdown window, only logout is visible. Other options are grayed out. I have to get to root to shutdown.

i suspect permissions issue, and usergroup fix.

====
fredx181 wrote:
johnywhy wrote:Is it possible to boot to command prompt, without logging in, instead of booting into X?
Yes, do from terminal:

cp -af /etc/inittab-noauto /etc/inittab
After save and reboot, autologin should be disabled then.
Great!

My goal is to use command line as login screen, so we're not consuming RAM and diskspace with Slim or other login eye-candy.

But, still want xfce desktop to start as soon as the user logs in at the command line, without having to type startx or startxfce4. That should happen for all users, including new ones added later.

How to do that? You're already doing that (or something like it) to boot to desktop for root. But i want to do it from command-line login.

One of these?
Adding the command to the end of ~/.profile
https://askubuntu.com/questions/270049/ ... d-at-login
put a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart to run applications after a user login. This may have following content:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=<Name of application as displayed>
Exec=<command to execute>
Icon=<full path to icon>
Comment=<optinal comments>
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
https://askubuntu.com/a/48327
xfce4-terminal -e "/batch-path/batch-name.sh"
xfce4-terminal: open the terminal after user login with current user privileges
-e: set the terminal to execute the batch file
/batch-path/batch-name.sh: is the batch full path and full name
https://askubuntu.com/a/310333
THX
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

#1347 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:Will this new one be used next time i run your mk script?
Yes.
but, in obshutdown window, only logout is visible. Other options are grayed out. I have to get to root to shutdown.
Don't know what you did exacly, you started with fresh save ? (recommended)
For me (logged in as puppy) when I click on the button at bottom-right in Whsiker menu I get the obshutdown dialog, see pic.

EDIT:
But, still want xfce desktop to start as soon as the user logs in at the command line, without having to type startx or startxfce4
It should do that now with the new zz_xfce_config.squashfs (automatic startx, just the same as when logged in as root)

Fred
Attachments
obshutdown.png
obshutdown dialog
(67.16 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

johnywhy

#1348 Post by johnywhy »

fredx181 wrote:
johnywhy wrote:in obshutdown window, only logout is visible.
For me (logged in as puppy) when I click on the button at bottom-right in Whsiker menu I get the obshutdown dialog, see pic.
indeed, this is now fixed with your new zz_xfce_config.squashfs.
great!
want xfce desktop to start as soon as the user logs in at the command line
It should do that now with the new zz_xfce_config.squashfs[/quote]
it does!
thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#1349 Post by johnywhy »

fredx181 wrote:do from terminal:

cp -af /etc/inittab-noauto /etc/inittab	
After save and reboot, autologin should be disabled then.
works, but i get this on boot. It gets stuck there, without a command-prompt. then i must press enter to get command prompt. Any fix?

[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

#1350 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:works, but i get this on boot. It gets stuck there, without a command-prompt. then i must press enter to get command prompt. Any fix?
Yes, I noticed similar, need to press Enter, not too much trouble I hope ? :)

johnywhy

#1351 Post by johnywhy »

logged into Devuan puppy desktop, this fails to ask for root password. Just runs thunar as root without pw:

pkexec --user root thunar
this hangs (supposed to be root by default):

pkexec thunar
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/po ... xec.1.html

======
fredx181 wrote:
johnywhy wrote:on boot, i must press enter to get command prompt.
Yes, I noticed similar, need to press Enter, not too much trouble I hope ? :)
Not too much trouble for me. But i'm attemtping to create a lil distro to share with friends and the universe. Trying to make it as user-friendly as possible.

Most people will sit there staring at it, without pressing any keys, and assume it's broken.

Much else to get working, so not urgent. But eventually would like to fix that.

THX
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

#1352 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:pkexec thunar
Try:

gsu thunar
As I said earlier, I cannot understand how to make the pkexec command work, perhaps it works only in more extended distro's, (with much more bloat), so maybe better forget about it ?

Fred

johnywhy

#1353 Post by johnywhy »

things brokoen since new script and zz...sfs file
(i think it's just the new zz is the cause)

Devuan root desktop:
====
not getting audio on youtube videos now. changing volume with pulse panel slider does nothing, and it reverts to 0 position on re-open.

clicking "mixer" in pulse panel gives
"Failed to execute command 'pavucontrol', no such file or directory"

====
clock does not seem to recognize timezone. I set timezone with "Setup timezone" app to my timezone,

peasyclock shows correct time, but panel clock still wrong.

even if i click 'set' and 'refresh' in peasy clock, and get "tray clock will update shortly", panel clock still shows wrong time.

THX
Last edited by johnywhy on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

dcung

#1354 Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote:Configuration for that is in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/
It's name depends on your resolution, for me it's "icons.screen0-1264x756.rc"
So, the best you can do is: move the icons to where you want, and it will be reflected in that config file.
Thank you Fred.

fredx181

#1355 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:things brokoen since new script and zz...sfs file
(i think it's just the new zz is the cause)
Probably cannot be because of the new zz...sfs file, it only contains some simple cofiguration changes for xfce4, nothing to do with pulseaudio.
I don't know about "mixer" in pulse panel :?: You installed pulseaudio ? Need to install pavucontrol probably then.

For timezone I can recommend to install "tzupdate" it will automatically detect timezone and set the time from internet.

johnywhy

It's a Dog's Life

#1356 Post by johnywhy »

prolly my mistake somewhere. :oops:
i'll spin up a fresh one, and give it another go.

i understand you can't solve everything. i'm just putting it out there, in case someone else knows the trick.

cheers!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

Re: It's a Dog's Life

#1357 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:prolly my mistake somewhere. :oops:
i'll spin up a fresh one, and give it another go.

i understand you can't solve everything. i'm just putting it out there, in case someone else knows the trick.

cheers!
Not sure if it's a mistake, and OK to post issues here, but not useful if you don't provide exact details about what you did, e.g. "mixer in pulse panel" is not clear enough info IMO.

EDIT: And... building further upon a minimal install is not easy, btw :roll:

Fred

dcung

#1358 Post by dcung »

I like PCManFM, so when I made iso using mklive, I added it (in addition to 'default' file manager) . In this instance, I added to 'full' version iso, which has Thunar as default.

pcmanfm filemnt-pcmanfm edit-sfs-pcmanfm
But I found that some right click menu options are missing (activate/deactivate module).
Is there some missing package to install or config I need to do?

Thank you.
Attachments
pcmanfm-2.png
(30.62 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
pcmanfm-1.png
(39.09 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

dcung

#1359 Post by dcung »

Hi all,

I am just reporting.

While browsing, looking for answers for my post above, I encountered
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=67656
which didn't resolve my PCManFM yet, but it mentioned SpaceFM.

So I thought, I give SpaceFM a try.
Installing from synaptic (full-dog64), I get this error.
With my limited knowledge, I only tried renaming the file and retry install...and it didn't go away.
Attachments
2018-09-24-144443_502x329_scrot.png
(20.87 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

johnywhy

#1360 Post by johnywhy »

For timezone I can recommend to install "tzupdate" it will automatically detect timezone and set the time from internet.
Unnecessary, the system already has everything needed to manage clock, timezone, and ntp. The issue is, a different timezone pre-applied to the panel clock. The fix is to remove the panel-clock, and re-add it. then timezone set with peasy or timezone app will display as expected in the panel clock.
https://askubuntu.com/a/497398
fredx181 wrote:I don't know about "mixer" in pulse panel :?: You installed pulseaudio ? Need to install pavucontrol probably then.
i didn't install pulse. The "pulseaudio plugin" panel-control is already installed by your script. I can't tell which package it's coming from.
not useful if you don't provide exact details about what you did, e.g. "mixer in pulse panel" is not clear enough
pulseaudio plugin panel-control:

[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]