Litepup-2.14 (62.2 MB) - available to dowload

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Todd

Litepup-2.14 (62.2 MB) - available to dowload

#1 Post by Todd »

Henry

#2 Post by Henry »

THANK YOU, Todd,

This is great! Like your 2.13Lite, which I have used since it appeared as my main Puppy, 2.14Lite combines the essentials of what's good in Barry's latest versions, with the ability to add only what you want. I had extensively customized 2.13Lite, and when I upgraded to 2.14Lite EVERYTHING came across just right, not a tweak needed. This is how an upgrade should work, and how I have never before seen a Puppy upgrade work.

Henry

vanchutr

#3 Post by vanchutr »

Litepup is a good version.
I think this versin was missed `auto upload dhcp for ethe0 - connect via ethernet card'?
You put the ghostcript in this distro but I d't saw the gsview bin?
For all, thank you a lots.
I will play with your litepup-2.14. I think this is the reel common edition (not the 215CE?)

Todd

#4 Post by Todd »

I think this versin was missed `auto upload dhcp for ethe0 - connect via ethernet card'?
I am not sure about this. I haven't had any problems. I connect to the internet through a proxy server so Ethernet is the only way I connect to the internet.
You put the ghostcript in this distro but I d't saw the gsview bin?
I really hate gsview, so I left it out. Xpdf and Adobe Reader are both good choices. (Typically most documents are 5.0.X compatible so I use Adobe Reader 5.0.X). MU has a dotpup for Xpdf. Ghostscript is required for the printing subsystem, so that is why it was left in. Additionally, all of the fonts, except the DejaVu font are Ghostscript fonts.

Thank you for the positive feedback!

Todd

vanchutr

Litepup-2.14

#5 Post by vanchutr »

Thank you for your fast reply
I think that: Your Litepup-2.14 is a education distro. With it I can study many thing about to add softs, remove something.
I add the gsview in litepup-2.14 because I need it to (print) view .pdf and .ps file. I want to keep litepup-2.14 so so flat (for that I don't use Acroreader..?)
The first time I start up the Wizard Wizard, I d'nt saw the button eth0 in the dialog, then I choose the LOAD button, but it can't load the driver for my card (8139too). This was'nt happened if I use the pup214 final release of Barry Kauler.
Sincerly,

vern72023

#6 Post by vern72023 »

Todd
great distro - normally I roll my own by removing various bits from the std and then merging in my own customizations which include wine abd opera but recently I have been playing around with using seamonkey and OO.o externally for variious reasons so I decided to try your Lite version as a base.
All I had to remove was xORG and add wine and I had a distro perfectly suited to my requirements - less than 5mins work.
Nice job.

George
george

Henry

#7 Post by Henry »

A couple of questions, Todd,

I guess it's reasonable to expect there might be some of the problems of 2.14 final in 2.14Lite. I'm wondering if that's the case here. I can't get printing to work. I have a garden variety HP 2100 laser that's worked easily in some prior puppies, as 2.13Lite but not in 2.14Lite.

Also a menu size anomaly in both 2.14 and 2.14Lite - the Utilities and Documents menus display about double size with raggedly enlarged icons.

Finally, and probably completely unrelated, PSI displays only a handful of items, which I presume is because of MU's hosting difficulties?

Henry

sunburnt

#8 Post by sunburnt »

Todd; For a REALLY great idea, look at these posts:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 675#100675

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12285

If a better version of Puppy 2 could be made into several versions with JUST
1 browser in each version (Firefox, or Opera, etc.), & media (XMMS & Mplayer).
This for a core Puppy that'd be able to swap extra SFS in & out while running.
The extra SFS files would be "groups of like apps.": Office, Graphics, Games, etc.

Dougal, WhoDo, amish, & I think it's the way to build an advanced Puppy distro.
Join Dougals discussion as I think it's the most relevant, & lets make it happen!

Todd

#9 Post by Todd »

My problem with all of this is that I am a purist. Whenever a Google something, the phrase I Google nearly always includes "gpl". I really like my build of Puppy because it is about as pure GPL as you can get (not including the "zdrv"). I really like using Java, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect and other proprietary products, but to take the time to host a "puplet", I really feel strongly about staying with GPL. Having said this, I understand your desire to have a standards compatible browser am willing to work towards replacing Dillo with Firefox.

Todd

Henry

#10 Post by Henry »

I wrote above -

" . . .I have a garden variety HP 2100 laser that's worked easily in some prior puppies, as 2.13Lite but not in 2.14Lite."

I went back and checked, and found that the printer was not working in 2.13 lite either, although it was and is in 2.12. Printing seems to be one of those fuzzy areas in Puppy generally. xpdq, CUPS, etc. I still do my business printing (and scanning for sure!) in my other OS, But would still like to evntually be able to use Puppy for these real world jobs. Everything else is pretty great.

What's the best way to proceed with getting printin to work in 2.14Lite, which I plan on using until something better comes along.

BTW I think Sunburnt's suggestion was very good.

Henry

Todd

#11 Post by Todd »

I have a PCL printer here at work and printing stopped working when Barry moved from Gimpprint to Gutenprint. It is supposed to be just a name change, but. . . The change took place between 2.12 and 2.13, which explains your problem with 2.13 and 2.14.

I have had incredible success with the CUPS dotpup that "pakt" made (it is in my archive). It is quite large, however. I was able finally able to get Gutenprint to work here at work by telling it that it is a serial printer (even though it is a network printer).

Todd

Henry

#12 Post by Henry »

Todd wrote -

"I have had incredible success with the CUPS dotpup that "pakt" made (it is in my archive). It is quite large, however."

I installed it. Works fine. Thanks.

Henry

Henry

#13 Post by Henry »

I wrote above -

"Also a menu size anomaly in both 2.14 and 2.14Lite - the Utilities and Documents menus display about double size with raggedly enlarged icons."

This was because a 48x48 icon had been used in the Utilies menu for Bluefish. When I exchanged it for an xpm icon all the items in Utilities resumed their normal small size.

Henry

Todd

#14 Post by Todd »

BTW I think Sunburnt's suggestion was very good.
I agree, Sunburnt's suggestion is a very good one. I never realized how easy it was to make a squash file. I am going to be exploring what I can do with squash files.

Todd

Henry

#15 Post by Henry »

Removed

Henry

Henry

#16 Post by Henry »

My question was embarrassingly obtuse. Thanks for not calling attention to it. Deleted.

Now I see why Grafburn is so popular. I'm removing Tkdvd,

Henry

Henry

#17 Post by Henry »

Hi, Todd,

I have been using 2.14lite as my main Linux since it came out. Very pleased, but now I have a question.The Puppy-Software-Installer no longer downloads the packages. I assumed that this was because of MU's hosting difficulties, but just a few minutes I tried the new 2.15ce, and was amazed to see its PSI download all the packages. Maybe they are using a different repository, but thought I would first ask you if there was an easy way to get 2.14lite to do similar. Or maybe I broke something ;-)

EDIT : Oops, sorry, Todd. I just noted that 2.14lite doesn't come with PSI. Forgot I had added it later. So I shouldn't be asking you. On the other hand, if you know the answer . . . :-)

Henry

Henry

#18 Post by Henry »

Following the "Oops" in my previous message, I went back to 2.13lite as a test. PSI showed its usual long list of software, but when I refreshed it there were only the four or so items left, same as 2.14lite has. So I guess it's the repository problem that Mark had (has?). No point in bothering him with that again. Yes, I know there's an alternate address now to download dotpups from, but it's not descriptive and convenient like psi. Must be patient :-)

Henry

iscraigh

#19 Post by iscraigh »

Have been using litepup to roll my own, just thought I would pass on some tips.

Installed mplayer108.pup It would not work it needed a library, this library was part of the elive sound system esd something or other (I should keep notes sorry) I found the correct .pup under multimedia.
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... 0.2.36.pup

Installed Gaim, would not connect to MSN due to missing ssl libraries tried a variety of ways to get them non worked. Then on my main pc I found I had saved a .pup that todd used to have on his site with the missing libraries. Sorry I have no place to host it but pm me and I will email it to you.

Using the network wizard I install ndiswrapper drivers for my wireless nic and all goes good but It does not save the settings and I have to reinstall every boot. The normal version of puppy 2.14 seem to save the driver.

Other than those minor challenges it's great.

Craig

Todd

#20 Post by Todd »

Craig:

Starting with Puppy 2.13, Barry put all of the drivers in the squash file "zdrv_214.sfs". I have a version of Litepup without the "zdrv". I would try booting from this image and see if it allows the driver for your wireless NIC to save properly.

Todd