Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

#61 Post by LateAdopter »

666philb wrote:
LateAdopter wrote: With BionicPup, on my Braswell N3150 box, I have changed to the intel driver which also required a change of kernel.
I have removed compton from startup because it was causing tearing with media playback

Thanks again.
Hi LateAdopter,

it's annoying that the modesetting driver now overrides the intel driver, as the screen tearing is really bad! it is supposed to enable it but doesn't on any intel graphics that i've tested it on.

you can force loading of the intel drive by creating the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf and pasting into it
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
VendorName "INTEL Corporation"
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection[/code]

before you try the above though (which is the best option), with the original kernel can you try editing /root/.config/compton.conf and changing line 33 (approx, it's the vsync line) to

Code: Select all

vsync = "drm";
and restart compton and see if there's any improvement
Hello 666philb
I'll talk about Intel in this post and try your compton test separately later.
When I was doing my initial checks on BionicPup64 I found this

-OpenGL-
Vendor		: VMware, Inc.
Renderer	: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Version		: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
Direct Rendering	: Yes
An advantage of Intel GPUs is that they have real 2D accelerated rendering and they don't need LLVM or glamor, which bring their own bugs.

So I knew I needed to switch to the Intel driver and I put this .conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d which is where the amdgpu and radeon ones are.

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver      "intel"
  VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
  Option "TearFree" "false"
EndSection
But with that and your 4.14.67 kernel xorg would not start. It just stopped with a blinking cursor. Originally I did "restart graphical server" which was fatal, with no way out. I have just retested with a complete boot and it still stops at the blinking cursor, but the power button does trigger a puppy shutdown.

I switched to the kernel that I am currently using with XenialPup64, which happens to be 4.17.13, but any kernel from 4.3 onwards is OK for Braswell. With my kernel xorg starts up OK with the Intel driver.

With SNA and triplebuffer or tearfree I always got severe memory leaks on TP64 or XP64 when switching to fullscreen and mpv would get killed in 15seconds for "out of memory". But with just DRI3 it works well without tearing or memory leaks.

My kernels are still descended from the Fatdog 3.18.7 DOTconfig. The only changes that I have done are CONFIG_X86_MSR=y, which is needed by the intel_pstate driver, and the LOGLEVEL=3 that is needed for recent kernels.

Since then I have installed Gnome-mpv + libmpv and also tvheadend on one copy of BP64 and they are working properly. On another copy I have connected the WiFi network and loaded Vivaldi 1.15 and that is working properly too.

LateAdopter

#62 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello 666philb
I have looked in the savefile from the failed boot with your 4.14.67 kernel and there is no /var/log/xorg.0.log also the messages file was zero size. This implies that aufs is not writing changes immediately to the savefile on disk.
Was your kernel built with the correct aufs4.14.56+ branch or is this a woof-ce bug?

rockedge

#63 Post by rockedge »

I am impressed with Bionic64 and so far it is running well on a Dell Optiplex 990.

Psync is not working...unable to fix it yet.
on shutdown or reboot I am experiencing the same as reported by Keef
and others. I saw this as well with some variations of the 4.14.63-rt37 kernel on some machines.
the save folder is being written but the shutdown hangs as reported.

I am building at the moment a 4.14.71 64 bit kernel for the Bionic64 for testing purposes.
I will let everyone know how it works out

rockedge

#64 Post by rockedge »

Well the compiling of the 4.14.71 kernel was successful but the shut down problem is the same after swapping it into Bionic64

boots fine....runs nicely...but has the shutdown / reboot hangup but with a different backtrace and the save folder is written to.

swapped the Xenial64 kernel 4.9.58 into Bionic64 runs well and fast and shuts down cleanly

now swapped the kernel 4.14.71 x86_64 that hangs in BIonic65 into the Xenial64-7.5
AND it does NOT hang up and reboot / shutdown is clean!

the test seems to indicate some problem in Bionic64 itself but the fact that with the 4.9.58 kernel it shuts down cleanly is something to note

rockedge

#65 Post by rockedge »

if anyone wants this 64 bit kernel I will upload it to
https://rockedge.org/kernels/

watchdog

#66 Post by watchdog »

I'm using the kernel 3.16.43 from slacko64 700 RC. It works well for my old hardware. I use it also for xenialpup to speed-up the boot.

Terry H

#67 Post by Terry H »

I swapped in the 4.17.0 kernel from peebee's lxpupsc64. Shutdown and reboot no issues.

This has however surprisingly fixed another issue, which I have in the past just accepted and mainly ignored. I mostly run the laptop plugged in, the Taskbar Battery indicator on my laptop displays battery as 123% when plugged in. When unplugged it displays a more accurate value. With the LXpupSC kernel the battery percentage is showing as 100% plugged in.

Billtoo

Bionicpup64

#68 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to the hard drive of my Lenovo desktop pc:

System: Host: puppypc1775 Kernel: 4.14.71 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: bionicpup64 7.9.3
Machine: Device: desktop System: LENOVO product: 7491B8U v: ThinkCentre M58e serial: MJ01509
Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A serial: INVALID BIOS: LENOVO v: 5HKT39AUS date: 06/17/2009
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2702/3003 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT216 [GeForce GT 220]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2 version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107
Network: Card: Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (1.4% used)
Weather: Conditions: 61 F (16 C) - Overcast Time: September 21, 11:06 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 95 Uptime: 39 min Memory: 234.3/3955.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Changed kernel, installed proprietary nvidia driver, updated PPM and
installed applications (including kodi)
Loaded kodi-17.6-x86_64.sfs from xenialpup64

Connected to a 32" TV via hdmi cable, using external speakers.

It's working well so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(81.87 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

rockedge

#69 Post by rockedge »

hello Billtoo

nice set up! did you use the 4.14.71 kernel after the swap? does it shut down cleanly?

if you compiled it...what settings did you use that are different?

sheldonisaac

4.14.71 64 bit kernel for the Bionic64

#70 Post by sheldonisaac »

rockedge wrote:if anyone wants this 64 bit kernel I will upload it to
https://rockedge.org/kernels/
Thanks, rockedge. I downloaded that, and it opened in XArchive.
How do I use the two files? One is called kernel-modules.sfs-etc, the other is vmlinuz-etc.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

roadkill13

#71 Post by roadkill13 »

Thanks, rockedge. I downloaded that, and it opened in XArchive.
How do I use the two files? One is called kernel-modules.sfs-etc, the other is vmlinuz-etc.
Rename vmlinuz-etc to vmlinuz. Rename the one called kernel-modules.sfs-etc to zdrv_bionicpup64_7.9.3.sfs. Open your puppy sub-directory, delete the existing vmlinuz and zdrv_bionicpup64_7.9.3.sfs files. Copy the newly downloaded and renamed files to your puppy sub-directory. This only works on a frugal install.

rockedge

#72 Post by rockedge »

upload is complete
for 4.14.71_x86_64

hello sheldonisaac make sure the md5 matches the download...if not repeat the download.
Last edited by rockedge on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#73 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, all round I'm pretty impressed with this new Puppy.....kernel/shutdown issues notwithstanding. As far as I'm concerned, by using Xenial's k4.9.58 it's fixed.

It's already shaping up to be another of Phil's masterpieces. I really have got no issues with it; for my use-case, the shut-down issue was the only one.

It certainly rejuvenates a 13-yr old desktop PC.....like all Puppies do. No wonder I'm such a 'nut' for our 'canine companions'... :lol:

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#74 Post by rockedge »

my Psync will not work but everything else so far blazes

sheldonisaac

#75 Post by sheldonisaac »

roadkill13 wrote:
Thanks, rockedge. I downloaded that, and it opened in XArchive. How do I use the two files? One is called kernel-modules.sfs-etc, the other is vmlinuz-etc.
Rename vmlinuz-etc to vmlinuz. Rename the one called kernel-modules.sfs-etc to zdrv_bionicpup64_7.9.3.sfs. Open your puppy sub-directory, delete the existing vmlinuz and zdrv_bionicpup64_7.9.3.sfs files. Copy the newly downloaded and renamed files to your puppy sub-directory. This only works on a frugal install.
Done, roadkill13, and thanks.
rockedge wrote: make sure the md5 matches the download...if not repeat the download.
I re-downloaded the file, and checked, thank you.

After I use jwmdesk to have only a bare desktop, with no drive icons and no other icons, a different set of drive icons appears, including loop0, loop1, and the real partitions sda1 etc

Another question: what exactly is this psync problem? I use it, ver 2.10 as I recall, and it seems to work? Although it doesn't say it adjusted by such-and-such number of seconds?

I'll reboot now, making a new save folder.

EDIT: Reboot was OK.

Thanks to all,
Sheldon

artsown

#76 Post by artsown »

@rockedge
I didn't bookmark the url where I found this Psync-2.6.pet that works
well in bionicpup64, so I thought I'd upload it:
http://home.ptd.net/~artnpeg/Psync-2.6.pet

Art

sheldonisaac

Psync

#77 Post by sheldonisaac »

artsown wrote:@rockedge
I didn't bookmark the url where I found this Psync-2.6.pet that works
well in bionicpup64, so I thought I'd upload it:
http://home.ptd.net/~artnpeg/Psync-2.6.pet

Art
Thank you, Art!
Sheldon

rockedge

#78 Post by rockedge »

Thank you artsown!!

downloaded, installed, worked.

LateAdopter

#79 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello 666philb

BionicPup64 seems to get very confused about which USB storage device is connected to which drive icon. And there may be an icon where the device is not present or no icon where there is an drive. It seems to happen when the device is removed while that copy of BP64 is not running.

I had the following: an icon sdb1 that was not connected to sdb1 although sdb1 was present. So clicking the button opened the pmount dialogue, which would then mount sdb1.

I also had sdc1 and sdc2 icons without sdc connected. When I connected sdc the sdc1 icon connected to sdc1 but a new sdb2 icon appeared which was connected to sdc2.

when I unplugged sdc the sdb icons disappeared, and when I unplugged sdb the sdc icons disappeared.

So I can regain sanity by plugging unplugging replugging all of the devices while that copy of Bp64 is running.

I hope that makes sense...

EDIT - BUT having restored sanity, if I power off and on again with the devices connected, the garbled arrangement comes back.

So there seems to be some persistent data that is not being deleted or cleaned up during a boot, which has precedence over the proper state.

EDIT2 - This seems to be related to the way drive letters are assigned to USB ports. And different parts of BionicPup64 are doing it differently.

I am using two USB3 ports. When a single device is plugged in it is always sdb, regardless of which port it is connected to. If I add a second device it gets sdc. But if I boot with both devices connected the drive letters are always assigned in a fixed relation to the ports, not the order they were first connected. This doesn't cause any problems on XenialPup64.

But BionicPup64 seems to keep some record of how they were and one part of the system tries to reinstate that, but it fails when the devices have a different number of partitions.

Since their are a near infinite number of permutations of which of my four usb drives I connect to which of the six usb ports, I don't see how a persistent configuration can work with removable media, particularly if you have multiple copies of BionicPup64.

With XenialPup64 the order of the drive letters assigned at boot is determined systematically according to the hardware arrangement.

Mike Walsh

#80 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ LateAdopter:-

I had this this exact same problem when I was implementing suspend on my desktop, along with a modified version of the LogOutGUI. Every time it came back from suspend, the drive icons were on different mount points.....and sym-links into those drives weren't working.

Udev-rules fixed it for me. Jafadmin came up with a custom set of modified udev-rules scripts which are extremely easy to set up. The drive icons will keep changing on the desktop itself.....but your sym-links will all come from the new, permanent mount-points you set up with udev-rules.

If you think this sounds like what you want, have a look here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112558

Hope that helps. (If you're not clear about things, just ask; I've set this up in enough Pups I can almost do it blindfold, but the .pet provides a clear 'Read-me' in /root anyway.)

Mike. :wink: