Maru project is supporting lineage OS

News, happenings
don570

#21 Post by don570 »

The boys have solved a bug with connecting a keyboard and mouse !!
Torreh

Aug 16

That's good to hear!
One more thing: Since the USB connection isn't used by the display, could I just connect a keyboard/mouse up via USB OTG?

Georgian Chituc

Aug 17

yes , of course, just try it

Preetam

Aug 17

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 8:41:35 PM UTC-4, Torreh wrote:
One more thing: Since the USB connection isn't used by the display, could I just connect a keyboard/mouse up via USB OTG?

It should work but I think there is a known bug where your USB-OTG mouse and keyboard events will also show up on the Android side (e.g. clicking your mouse will click on both Android and Maru Desktop). Maru was initially designed to only work with BT access before the virtual / wireless display stuff was developed and it hasn't been updated yet. It should be good enough to play around with but may be slightly annoying until we fix the duplicate events.

Georgian Chituc

Aug 17

My los 14.1 patches include code that , if maru desktop is started before you to attach a USB or Bluetooth keyboard/mouse , it will not show in android . If maru desktop is not started when you attach the mouse it will show in android

Aug 20

Preetam Oh ok cool. Can you send a PR for this? Would be great to merge it to the main project.

Georgian Chituc

Aug 20

Oke , I did a PR for this . The things are simple , it just search if mclient is running and if is running it do not add mouse and keyboard to android , just to linux . If mclient is not running (Desktop not started ) it add mouse and keyboard to Android . Code is not complicated ,and I just managed to depend on his logic cause when I do not start Dekstop I 'm still able to use the mouse and keyboard inside Android :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#22 Post by BarryK »

Good to see progress.

In previous testing, I used a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

It is good that Maruos is progressing, as I think it is a more logical solution to integrating phone with desktop usage, than, say the way the Libre 5 phone is doing it.

There is clean separation, keep each app for what it is good at, phone, or desktop.

Also, the progress with Lineage OS is great, Maru is likely to become a lot more popular now that it runs on more hardware.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

don570

#23 Post by don570 »

Another bug is fixed.
https://github.com/maruos/blueprints/co ... cc373decde
Coldplug input devices only

This fixes the issue on bullhead where you couldn't switch on Bluetooth devices after
turning them off when the desktop was running.
Having udev coldplug all devices as usual can cause failures to control them
# correctly from Android, e.g. Bluetooth may fail to toggle on certain
# hardware. To prevent this, override the default coldplug behavior to only
# coldplug devices within the input subsystem.
#
# Note that completely masking the coldplug service--or even dropping udev
# itself--is not an option because we still need the coldplug for input
# devices. This ensures that the desktop automatically picks up input devices
# that were paired prior to desktop boot.

don570

move to debian 9

#24 Post by don570 »

Maru OS dev ›
Debian 9 / Stretch Support
1 post by 1 author

Preetam

4:44 PM (3 hours ago)

Hello all,

Happy to say that the patches for moving Maru from Debian 8 / jessie to Debian 9 / stretch just went in! That makes stretch the default image for Maru Desktop going forward. This brings a huge amount of software updates to Maru Desktop--you can see them all in the official stretch release notes.

Note that these changes are backwards-compatible, so you can still build jessie containers by passing "-r jessie" as a plugin arg to the build script, e.g.:

blueprints$ ./build.sh -- -r jessie

One caveat for those of you who use the official maruos-devbox Docker image for development: you won't be able to build stretch containers within maruos-devbox because it's based on Ubuntu 14.04, and the debootstrap package is too old to support stretch. I recommend that you use the Dockerfile shipped with the blueprints repo itself to do the building since it is always up-to-date.

Next up, I will be working on (finally) getting the first official builds up for Maru 0.6, which will include the work in these patches.

Let me know how these new images go in your builds and definitely do let me know if you experience any issues upgrading so we can get 'em fixed ASAP.

don570

#25 Post by don570 »

Video showing Lineage OS and maru OS
using LG G4 phone using bluetooth keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9dRi_K9gXs

don570

#26 Post by don570 »

Report from Maru OS developer that Ubuntu linux runs on Samsung S9+ cellphone
before Samsung engineers could do it....
Georgian Chituc

8 Nov

Here is the Maru Os for S9+ (star2lte)

The desktop user is maru password maru

Sound is enabled by default using taik native pulseaudio server .

Mouse/keyboard are avaible to androd if desktop is not started .

Desktop linux image is Ubuntu 16.04 arch64 .

Here is the zip you have to flash via TWRP .

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603842634

Also for all lineage os based roms ,for S9+ , you need your vendor files to be BRE5 or camera will not work.

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=674106145207489374

don570

#27 Post by don570 »

Newest version of Maru OS has improvements to keyboards
Preetam

10 Nov

A quick head's up that @utzcoz's work to enable dynamic input switching on Maru has just been merged into maru-0.6!

https://github.com/maruos/maruos/issues/97

Previously, Maru just dropped all BT keyboard and mice to reserve them for the desktop. With @utzcoz's work, we now dynamically switch where the input events are sent depending on whether the desktop is running and whether there is an external display attached. It works like a charm!

A cool side-effect is that the Android display will not go to sleep when you have a wireless display attached since the keyboard and mice are still registered in Android's input subsystem, unlike previously where you would need to keep the phone connected to power to prevent the screen from sleeping even when you moved the keyboard or mouse.

This has been tested on both the Nexus 5 and Nexus 5X so it should just work. If you run into any issues with your builds please let me know so we can get it fixed ASAP.

Georgian Chituc

11 Nov

Great news about dynamically switch input .
I did not had time yet to inspect the code that do this so I just ask here :)
- it also works for usb added keyboard and mouse or just for BT ones ? I hope for usb ones too .
Some docks have usb ports and we attach a normal usb keyboard to phone

Preetam

11 Nov

I haven't tested with USB keyboard/mouse but it should work for all external input devices, including USB.
- show quoted text -

don570

#28 Post by don570 »

I came across a youtube video of linux working on Samsung Galaxy 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruby_3EbNDk

This will give an idea of what is possible.

don570

maru-os-lets-you-use-android-8-1-on-a-phone-debian-9-when-yo

#29 Post by don570 »

announcement by maru OS

https://liliputing.com/2019/03/maru-os- ... splay.html