BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ITSMERSH

#541 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Fred.
Wow ! you made it all German, nice job !
Thanks, at least the menu's categories (02-modifications-BionicDog.squashfs, 5MB) and the programs (99-langpack-BionicDog.squashfs, 2MB, DE only)

Re the 'issue':

In reading '/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged' I had overseen the -merged part, so I missed the main hint... :oops:

However, it works by now. Thanks!

Rainer

josepinto

Pet2debconvert - 64 bit

#542 Post by josepinto »

Hello,

Would it be possible to create Pet2debconvert to Bionicdog 64 bits?

I wanted to convert Pmusic, but Pet2debconvert existe only in the extras for 32 bit.

Thanks,

José Pinto

josepinto

Apt2sfs - third party repos

#543 Post by josepinto »

Hi,

I used apt2sfs to create a SFS of Quiterss, after adding the third party repo that contains Quiterss version 0.18.12.
However, apt2sfs only pulled version 0.18.8 from Bionic main repo and not the version from the third party repo.
Is this by design?

Thanks,

José Pinto

fredx181

#544 Post by fredx181 »

Hi josepinto,
Would it be possible to create Pet2debconvert to Bionicdog 64 bits?
I wanted to convert Pmusic, but Pet2debconvert existe only in the extras for 32 bit.
I see it as right-click option also in the 64-bit version, see pic below.
(btw, don't expect to much from it, may work for simple programs, but a complicated program such as Pmusic may not work as expected)
I used apt2sfs to create a SFS of Quiterss, after adding the third party repo that contains Quiterss version 0.18.12.
However, apt2sfs only pulled version 0.18.8 from Bionic main repo and not the version from the third party repo.
Is this by design?
Not sure, I'll try to investigate in the next days, did you add a PPA and Is it listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d ?

Fred
Attachments
pet2debconvert.png
pet2debconvert
(49.56 KiB) Downloaded 939 times

josepinto

Apt2sfs - add PPA

#545 Post by josepinto »

HI Fred,

I see pet2debconvert as right-click option in other pets but not on Pmusic, wich means the problem must be with this pet.

Regarding apt2sfs, i did add this PPA:
ppa:quiterss/quiterss

and it is listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Thanks for the prompt answer,

José Pinto

lizardidi

bionicdog x86 cannot boot in bios

#546 Post by lizardidi »

Hi, i am a bionicdog user and constantly switch desktop at my workstation. All desktop had no issues booting Bionicdog from my frugally installed USB, until recently a desktop refused to boot. After many attempt i got the following messages that i attached bellow, saying "Porteus data not found".
Can anyone let me know what is the cause for this problem? I have been searching this issue in the forum but not much related topics were found.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
DSC_0386 - Copy.JPG
(99.56 KiB) Downloaded 934 times

rufwoof

#547 Post by rufwoof »

Could be you've lost/deleted the .sgn file that the boot process looks for (IIRC resides in the same folder as your main system sfs (or vmlinuz, initrd ???)).

It's just a file IIRC, nothing special inside it, just has to exist, so if you have lost/deleted it just try recreating another file - looks like in your case something like echo > /live/bionic-486.sgn ... or wherever you main sfs's are.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

lizardidi

#548 Post by lizardidi »

rufwoof wrote:Could be you've lost/deleted the .sgn file that the boot process looks for (IIRC resides in the same folder as your main system sfs (or vmlinuz, initrd ???)).

It's just a file IIRC, nothing special inside it, just has to exist, so if you have lost/deleted it just try recreating another file - looks like in your case something like echo > /live/bionic-486.sgn ... or wherever you main sfs's are.
Thanks for the reply, is that possible? Because I had no problems booting in other desktops.
This desktop can boot into windows like usual too.

aledie

#549 Post by aledie »

I had exactly the same error when trying to boot StretchDog64 from USB.
Amazingly, it was on the same USB where the properly working BionicDog64 was, with same bios4dos settings (using same partition uuid, with only exeption being bionic pointing to /casper while stretch to /live folder)

fredx181

#550 Post by fredx181 »

lizardidi wrote:rufwoof wrote:
Could be you've lost/deleted the .sgn file that the boot process looks for (IIRC resides in the same folder as your main system sfs (or vmlinuz, initrd ???)).

Thanks for the reply, is that possible? Because I had no problems booting in other desktops.
This desktop can boot into windows like usual too.
The message is about .sgn file, but it really means that the data is not found, i.e. casper folder.
There are more reports that on one computer it boots fine and on another not. (probably drive not detected)
Since I can't reproduce it, I don't know how to solve, sorry.

Fred

fredx181

#551 Post by fredx181 »

josepinto wrote:I see pet2debconvert as right-click option in other pets but not on Pmusic, wich means the problem must be with this pet.
Maybe try from terminal then, e.g.:

Code: Select all

pet2deb-convert /path/to/pmusic.pet

Yes, I see now, apt2sfs makes use of the regular sources.list only, should be fixed now in newer version 1.1.3, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install apt2sfs    # installs v1.1.3
Fred

lizardidi

Update to "Porteus Data Not Found" Error:

#552 Post by lizardidi »

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks and efforts.

I tried to burn BionicDog iso to another pendrive, and live boot from it. That pc successfully boot into BionicDog without any problems. I double checked using Damn Small Linux, Xenial Pup, etc.. All can boot from the live usb without problems.

Hence, the conclusion is: Frugally installed BionicDog cannot boot from this pc. The cause is yet to find out.

dcung

#553 Post by dcung »

Earlier Fred modified a script from Fatdog64 to assist me auto mounting USB disks in BionicDog.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=520
This has been working well.

But recently I need to use it on laptop that login as non-root user and found out that it does not work for non-root user (both BionicDog & StretchDog).

fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh: line 48: exec: gtksu: not found

line 48 code
[ $(id -u) -ne 0 ] && exec gtksu "Mounting ${1##*/}" $0 "$@"
Any way I can modify the script to make it work?
Thanks

fredx181

#554 Post by fredx181 »

@dcung, run with sudo, e.g.

sudo fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
EDIT: Or gsu (graphical sudo) may suit your needs better.

gsu fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

ITSMERSH

#555 Post by ITSMERSH »

dcung wrote:Any way I can modify the script to make it work?
Thanks
Probably this will help?

Include this code

# Who am I?
[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec sudo -A ${0} ${@}
on top of the script.

josepinto

#556 Post by josepinto »

Hi Fred,
fredx181 wrote:
josepinto wrote:I see pet2debconvert as right-click option in other pets but not on Pmusic, wich means the problem must be with this pet.
Maybe try from terminal then, e.g.:

pet2deb-convert /path/to/pmusic.pet

Yes, I see now, apt2sfs makes use of the regular sources.list only, should be fixed now in newer version 1.1.3, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install apt2sfs    # installs v1.1.3
Fred
I cannot instal Pmusic with pet2deb-convert even from terminal.
What I did was extract the pet to a folder and use the folder to make a deb file.
I was the able to install Pmusic with the only drawback that it appears in the start menu in the category Other.

pet2sfs works now as I intendend.
I added the PPAs to Quiterss and Keepassxc and was able to make sfs with the versions from the PPAs.

José Pinto

ITSMERSH

#557 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

My knowledge about Puppy is fragmented and so it is about the Dogs. I need to know the "boot path" of BionicDog.

E.g. Puppy: init --> /etc/rc.d -->/etc/profile --> ?? --> xwin --> graphical desktop.

How does BionicDog exactly?

Also about /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE:

Is there a similar file in BionicDog containing similar information like it is stored in PUPMODE, PUPSFS ... of /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE?

Thanks.

fredx181

#558 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Rainer,
My knowledge about Puppy is fragmented
Perhaps for me even more so I can't really compare.
E.g. Puppy: init --> /etc/rc.d -->/etc/profile --> ?? --> xwin --> graphical desktop.
That would be something like:
Dog init --> /etc/init.d (and symlinks in rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d etc..) -->/etc/profile --> ?? startx --> graphical desktop
But there's also systemd involved, so not as simple as above.
Also about /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE:

Sorry, I don't know enough about that, there's similar info in the porteus boot scripts and config files.
Maybe I can try to answer better if you say why you'd like to know, what to accomplish ?

Fred

ITSMERSH

#559 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Fred.

Re: the /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

I'm using e.g. PUPSFS from /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to create some global variables / environment variables at boot ($MYBOOTDIR, $MYBOOTPRT, $MYRSHROXAPPS etc.). These environment variables gives easy access to my external Scripts, Programs and RoxApps, no matter what the boot device is named (sda1, sdb3 etc.pp.).

That way I can run programs from .sfs modules just by a menu entry (like it would be installed) without to have the .sfs loaded (load and run is automated then).

I would like to add these features to my BionicDog Audio Studio.
Attachments
Screenshot-2018-09-21-21-24-35.jpg
(53.66 KiB) Downloaded 873 times

dcung

#560 Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote:@dcung, run with sudo, e.g.

sudo fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
EDIT: Or gsu (graphical sudo) may suit your needs better.

gsu fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
Thanks Fred, forgot to mention that I need it to run unattended like last time (in Startup).
But I remember that I can pipe the password, so modified your suggestion a little and problem resolved. :)

ITSMERSH wrote:Probably this will help?
Include this code

# Who am I?
[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec sudo -A ${0} ${@}
on top of the script.
Thanks ITSMERSH... :)