Wireless printer stopped working wirelessly

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
J_D_

Wireless printer stopped working wirelessly

#1 Post by J_D_ »

My Brother MFCL2680 lost its wireless ability. It will print with a cable. i went into CUPS and did all the normal stuff. The printer sees the router but the router does not see the printer. Like the ip address has changed ?? Not really a Puppy problem I guess but a printer problem. Anyways, posting here hoping someone can help.
Thanks for any ideas. I really like this printer, thats what makes this so aggravating.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

Does that printer have WPS for wireless setup?

If it does, you can press the WPS button on the printer and the router at the same time and they should sync. My router's WPS is in the router settings, rather than an actual physical button, but basically the same thing.

Otherwise, (my experience is with Samsung more than Brother) you might need to set up wireless via a driver, which might mean a windows install to do the job.

J_D_

#3 Post by J_D_ »

Yes I have done the WPS button thing. I have gone to the router page and the router does not see the printer as a client. It used to. I have been printing with this for nearly 2 years. 3 computers wit Tahrpup, windows 7 and XP on different partititions. I have gone into CUPS and enetered the IP address. The printer sees the router when I push the WPS button but the router does not see the printer.
May be time to get a new Brother. If my mom was still alive I am sure she'd help with that.......

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

What version of Puppy?
Installed how?
Frugal or full?
On what device?
What format is the partition Puppy is installed on?
If frugal install, using save file or folder?

Did you do anything or install anything, just before this happened?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

J_D_

#5 Post by J_D_ »

Three different laptops. One Dell has Tahrpup 6.5 and XP. One Acer has Tahrpup 64 bit and a Windows 7 partition, and one Dell has Windows 7. The Pups are all frugal with sfs Ext 2. I have used this printer on all 3 on all partitions. Now none will print. I did install Avast security and web browser on the XP laptop. The problem almost has to be on the printer end.

perdido

#6 Post by perdido »

J_D_ wrote:Three different laptops. One Dell has Tahrpup 6.5 and XP. One Acer has Tahrpup 64 bit and a Windows 7 partition, and one Dell has Windows 7. The Pups are all frugal with sfs Ext 2. I have used this printer on all 3 on all partitions. Now none will print. I did install Avast security and web browser on the XP laptop. The problem almost has to be on the printer end.
Hi J_D_,
There is a wireless LAN report that you can print at the printer that can maybe show something useful
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.a ... 002796_000

Following that info to here with error codes
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.a ... 100430_015

Looks like a printer issue like you suggested since windows is broke too.

J_D_

#7 Post by J_D_ »

I tried. I get 2 options. 1 print report and 2 view on LCD. It will not do either. May just use the cable for now.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

My WAG (Wild-Ass-Guess) is that the transmitter side of the wifi in the printer has quit working. I can't think of any simple way to test that it's putting out any RF energy. There are broadband RF detectors to test microwave ovens for leakage. You wouldn't happen to have one of those lying around, would you?

J_D_

#9 Post by J_D_ »

My thought was similar. Either no signal or the ip address changed. No Idea how that could happen. Anyway, not that expensive to replace.

perdido

#10 Post by perdido »

There are prorams for linux and windows that show network devices that are not connected.

Looks like a little work setting it up.
https://superuser.com/questions/1281274 ... ss-devices

Never done that stuff myself.

J_D_

#11 Post by J_D_ »

perdido wrote:There are prorams for linux and windows that show network devices that are not connected.

Looks like a little work setting it up.
https://superuser.com/questions/1281274 ... ss-devices

Never done that stuff myself.
Thanks, but I think I will just use a cable for now. A new printer is only about $120 away. Unfortunately My dentist says I need a bridge that will be $1500 after insurance and my car need a new clutch that will be that much also so the printer can wait a bit.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

my car need a new clutch that will be that much
If you are getting told a clutch replacement cost of $1500.
I would go find someone else to do it.
Expected Cost To Replace a Clutch

The material costs involved in a clutch repair are relatively modest. In the vast majority of cases, the suspect parts that need to be replaced are the pressure plate, the clutch disc, and the throw-out bearing. Taken together, these parts retail for $90-$400. The vast majority of cars will be on the low end of this scale; it’s only high-performance models that get close to $400. If your clutch is operated hydraulically, there are two cylinders (a master and slave) that may need to be replaced on occasion. These cost between $20 and $50 each.

Labor adds significantly to the clutch replacement cost when you entrust it to professionals. Total labor costs will vary between $500 and $700, making for a total repair cost that can fall anywhere between $600 and $1,1000. Common prices do not fall outside $700-$900. You should always request an estimate from your mechanic and carefully review all the work he intends to do prior to making a commitment.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

I've never replaced a clutch in a 4WD truck. If someone wanted me to, I might charge a lot more than $1500.

J_D_

#14 Post by J_D_ »

Flash wrote:I've never replaced a clutch in a 4WD truck. If someone wanted me to, I might charge a lot more than $1500.
Not a truck but a mid engine car. I could do it. I spent 4 months this year building an S10 truck with a V8. Started with a naked rolling chassis. built it, with PS, PB, AC then painted it. I just need a beak from turning wrenches.
I would think some of the great guys on here need to step away from the monitor/keyboard once in a while too.
Crappy pic of truck mentioned above.

Last edited by J_D_ on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

J_D_

#15 Post by J_D_ »

For the record I purchased the parts this week. Clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, new bolts around $350. It has a dual mass flywheel, another $350 or so. Labor will be around $700 but thats an estimate.

perdido

#16 Post by perdido »

J_D_ wrote:For the record I purchased the parts this week. Clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, new bolts around $350. It has a dual mass flywheel, another $350 or so. Labor will be around $700 but thats an estimate.
Lets see that motor!

J_D_

#17 Post by J_D_ »

It will get injection eventually. Carb was just fast and easy to do. It has a 4L60E transmission that is computer controlled. Not that clean under the hood. It gets driven a lot.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt23 ... gtf0dn.jpg
Attachments
Truck motor.jpg
(99.15 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

J_D_

#18 Post by J_D_ »

perdido wrote:
Lets see that motor!

I was guessing you wanted to see the truck motor. Not sure I have a pic of the car motor. The car is the one needing the clutch.

J_D_

#19 Post by J_D_ »

Attachments
Porsche_Cayman_Motor.jpg
(111.84 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

perdido

#20 Post by perdido »

J_D_ wrote:
perdido wrote:
Lets see that motor!
I was guessing you wanted to see the truck motor. Not sure I have a pic of the car motor. The car is the one needing the clutch.
Good pics.
I understand using a carb rather than changing a wiring harness and computer. 4l60e has its own computer then? 4l60e my favorite problem child. If you don't have a cooler on it yet - get one :)