Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018

Please post any bugs you have found
Billtoo

Quirky Xerus 8.6 for x86_64, released Aug. 16, 2018

#821 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb flash drive with easydd.

System: Host: QUIRKYPC28147 Kernel: 4.14.63 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: Quirky 8.6 xerus64
Machine: System: HP-Pavilion product: GN559AA-ABA a6220n serial: MXF7470DNX
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Berkeley v: 1.04 serial: X312345678
Bios: American Megatrends v: 5.13 date: 10/24/2007
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E4500 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1200/2200 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 117x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
Drives: HDD Total Size: 431.6GB (1.0% used)
Weather: Conditions: 72 F (22 C) - Overcast Time: August 21, 12:36 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 100 Uptime: 1:16 Memory: 188.2/3953.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

I must have forgotten to tick on the fill drive option before I
rebooted, have since run gparted and made the sdb3 part of the drive
ext4.

Working well on this 11 year old pc (has a newer graphics card) apart from that.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(78.48 KiB) Downloaded 1250 times
screenshot2.jpg
(32.46 KiB) Downloaded 1248 times

Sage

#822 Post by Sage »

Thanks for your comments, lp.
I never use the CLI dd command - too much to go wrong in my experience and a waste of time when USB Image Writer is available on my systems and has proved rock solid. However, I rarely use USB nor SD cards on my desktop boxes and rarely ever use laptops unless repairing for very close friends and family - they are nothing but trouble, overpriced, unreliable and recent ones don't even have a DVD drive (I have an external drive for diagnosis and repairs, though). Even newer ones use SSSD, which are overpriced, of unknown lifetime and reliability (too new to know yet) and have, for me, unacceptable limitations (early versions may not have TRIM, for example).
And now for the bad news.Yes, using the .iso of 6.5 on DVD-RW has not only corrupted the DVD but also the GRUB sector of an installed hard disc with a different distro installed. Much as I like to work from .iso on rewritable discs, BEWARE, this version of Q-X may be toxic on some systems, perhaps depending on HW and/or present installations.
As I suggested (from raw ignorance) something may have slipped into the boot code of the .iso spilling over from other media boot procedures, but as this is outside my range of expertise, I defer to those with inside knowledge. My expertise is mostly limited to HW - I fix stuff!

foxpup

/mnt/sdcard on android tablet

#823 Post by foxpup »

@Barry

I installed Quirky 8.6 on hd (ssd) frugally, puppy style.
It installed very well, found wifi right away with sns and runs smoothly.
It has plenty of apps I still have to explore.
Very nice build!

The main reason I installed Quirky is EasyShare. I want to connect it to my android tablet.
I followed the instructions and it finds the tablet but when I push the Mount button it says
Directory '/mnt/phone/sdcard' not found.
and nothing happens.
But since the tablet is strictly speaking not a phone it does not have /mnt/phone/sdcard but /mnt/sdcard.
Can you fix that?

don570

#824 Post by don570 »

Did you try creating a folder /mnt/phone/sdcard/
then running easyshare again.

Perhaps Barry forgot to put line in script creating this folder
before the mount instruction??

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: /mnt/sdcard on android tablet

#825 Post by BarryK »

foxpup wrote:@Barry

Very nice build!

The main reason I installed Quirky is EasyShare. I want to connect it to my android tablet.
I followed the instructions and it finds the tablet but when I push the Mount button it says
and nothing happens.
But since the tablet is strictly speaking not a phone it does not have /mnt/phone/sdcard but /mnt/sdcard.
Can you fix that?
Interesting. My phone has '/sdcard', a symlink. /mnt/phone is a directory created in EasyOS/Quirky, and '/' of the phone f.s. gets mounted there.

So /mnt/phone/sdcard is where your files are.

I have a tablet, will check on that.

One possibility, would be to remove "sdcard" from the script.

Try the attached. gunzip it, make sure it is executable, and place at /usr/local/EasyShare

Another thing, run "easyshare" in a terminal, so you can see any error messages.
Attachments
easyshare.gz
(16.41 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

slackfan

#826 Post by slackfan »

somewhat equivalent available for Quirky Xerus 8.6 ?

https://www.howtogeek.com/196933/how-to ... ard-drive/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#827 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:
foxpup wrote:@Barry

Very nice build!

and nothing happens.
Can you fix that?
Interesting. My phone has '/sdcard', a symlink. /mnt/phone is a directory created in EasyOS/Quirky, and '/' of the phone f.s. gets mounted there.

So /mnt/phone/sdcard is where your files are.

I have a tablet, will check on that.

One possibility, would be to remove "sdcard" from the script.

Try the attached. gunzip it, make sure it is executable, and place at /usr/local/EasyShare

Another thing, run "easyshare" in a terminal, so you can see any error messages.
Ha ha :D

I have just received an email, telling me what is wrong.

Nowhere does /usr/local/EasyShare/easyshare script create folder /mnt/phone

In my test system, I created it manually. So, do that also, then easyhare android phone should work.

foxpup

#828 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:/mnt/phone is a directory created in EasyOS/Quirky, and '/' of the phone f.s. gets mounted there.

In my test system, I created it manually. So, do that also, then easyhare android phone should work.
Haha indeed. :D
I was looking on the tablet for /mnt/phone/sdcard or sdcard since I did not see anything like that on my connecting laptop. lol

I created /mnt/phone in Quirky on the laptop. Connection to the android tablet works very well now.

Speaking of phones, I see there is no puppyphone (psip) in Quirky.
I looked at pidgin, but I don't think it can work as a sip softphone. Something I overlook?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#829 Post by BarryK »

foxpup wrote:
BarryK wrote:/mnt/phone is a directory created in EasyOS/Quirky, and '/' of the phone f.s. gets mounted there.

Haha indeed. :D
I was looking on the tablet for /mnt/phone/sdcard or sdcard since I did not see anything like that on my connecting laptop. lol

I created /mnt/phone in Quirky on the laptop. Connection to the android tablet works very well now.

Speaking of phones, I see there is no puppyphone (psip) in Quirky.
I looked at pidgin, but I don't think it can work as a sip softphone. Something I overlook?
I took out the puppyphone years ago, no one complained, so I thought no one was using it.

foxpup

#830 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:I took out the puppyphone years ago, no one complained, so I thought no one was using it.
I use it to phone between laptop at home and android tablet on the road. On the tablet I have csipsimple.
I have no smartphone. :roll:

I wondered whether it would be possible to use/compile puppyphone in other distros or even for android.

I like the simplicity of puppyphone and it works very well.

There is also an article from Smokey in the latest newsletter (august 2018) about 'Psip P2P & VPN' with n2n.
It's another interesting way to use sip calling. Maybe the article will attract some people to sip/psip again.

rufwoof

#831 Post by rufwoof »

foxpup wrote:I wondered whether it would be possible to use/compile puppyphone in other distros or even for android.
puppyphone is in FatDog 721 (PSIP 1.41) - haven't tested/used it myself however.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

foxpup

#832 Post by foxpup »

rufwoof wrote:puppyphone is in FatDog 721 (PSIP 1.41) - haven't tested/used it myself however.
I am sure it is still in most Puppies and Derivatives.
It has one little downside: there is no control on the codecs.

rufwoof

#833 Post by rufwoof »

Mentioned it as I believe PSIP (Puppy) phone is James' baby (who co-authors FatDog).
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Sage

#834 Post by Sage »

I used to use PSIP (Puppy) phone as it was one of the most successful of its genre. I still have the print-out (somewhere) of how to set it up, which is a trifle convoluted, but explicit and works. Main problem I've had is that correspondents, esp. across the Pond, have either reverted (in ignorance) to the devil's OS, despite the endless adverse postings, or have decamped to Android (or worse, over there, - Apple, the poser's choice for guys with too much dosh!) Unfortunately I don't have the talent nor time to make PSIP (Puppy) phone function with those machines.
As an aside: don't you just hate the way our youth, and not so young, have been subverted by those mobile monstrosities? I don't think supergluing them to their ears would help. Really what is required is either direct brain implants or maybe just open their bank accounts to messrs Zuckerberg, Pichai, Page & co.?

scsijon

core dumps from iso cd

#835 Post by scsijon »

Barry,

I downloaded the iso (twice in the end even though crc's were ok) and burn't cd's.

My Dell Optiplex745 used for testing, which always gives problems with easy but has not with earlier Xerus64's, is now just core dumping and totally locking up, only fixed with a power off at the power point, poweroff switch on the base (soft powerdown) does nothing.

Is the coredump > file set in the kernel so I can look at it or pass it on? And if so where is it saving it please?

regards
scsijon
(home for a few days while students are field drawing, thought i'd try to start to kill the mail backlog) :?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: core dumps from iso cd

#836 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Barry,

I downloaded the iso (twice in the end even though crc's were ok) and burn't cd's.

My Dell Optiplex745 used for testing, which always gives problems with easy but has not with earlier Xerus64's, is now just core dumping and totally locking up, only fixed with a power off at the power point, poweroff switch on the base (soft powerdown) does nothing.

Is the coredump > file set in the kernel so I can look at it or pass it on? And if so where is it saving it please?
If I recall rightly, the kernel is configured without core dump.

You could boot with "loglevel=7" to see what is happening.

scsijon

Re: core dumps from iso cd

#837 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:If I recall rightly, the kernel is configured without core dump.

You could boot with "loglevel=7" to see what is happening.
Yea, at least something is readable. It seems to be something missing in the kernel, relating to just past the switchroot. I shall research further, just hope it's not tied to the http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ?p=1003443 problem as it is a core2duo machine and they are now finding the problem rootcause goes back some linux minor versions.

On the otherhand, i've been given an 'old' i5 (shesh, 3 years is considered old now at a uni ....) that's been written off as they no longer have others of that model in use, so I may build sourcery on that, and use it as a dedicated development machine;

and? do you know if we have the qt5 to development version for Xerus 8.6 available, I have something for the graphic comic people that scanlate to build and test after I debug/update the code if so?

Reneetje
Location: The Netherlands, Fryslan - Foar de kofje net eamelje

Casting in Quirky Xerus64 8.6 without mobile phone or tablet

#838 Post by Reneetje »

It's possible to cast from your computer with wired internet in Quirky Xerus64 8.6 and Google Chrome to your chromecast. You can watch on your computerscreen as on the screen with chromecast. So mobile phone or tablet is not needed.
Attachments
cast_to_tv.png
(134.55 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#839 Post by BarryK »

Have made the jump to building Quirky with Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04.1 DEBs, version 8.7, for 64-bit PCs.

Might as well continue feedback for the new "Beaver" series in this thread.

Blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201809/quirky-be ... eased.html

Sage

#840 Post by Sage »

Wooppee! .img AND .iso. Should suit 99% of followers. Will be able to continue diagnostics as well as rapid OTG booting to OB's machines. Fantastical. Many thanks, BK.