Just-Lighthouse64-801/802

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives

Dry Falls

#42 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks all. Been a bit under the weather lately and fighting with gdrive and my isp. got an iso up yesterday and finally some sfs files. One should really start a new save file with this one or run in ram.

Just-Lighthouse64-801B3.iso with 3_dev_801.sfs (python, perl, gcc etc) and webkitgtk3-x86_64-JL64-2.sfs (with midori & surf).
md5 checksum: 6901cf8ccddbdbe941c6c8f6666a3140

These are (so far) uploaded:
kernel_sources-4.17.12-x86_64.sfs
goffice_suite-0.28-JL64-801.sfs
gstreamer-1.14.2-x86_64-2.sfs
qt-4.8.7-x86_64-10.sfs
python3-3.6.6-x86_64-1.sfs
qt5-5.11.1-x86_64-1.sfs
Devx-JL64_801.sfs
5_JL64_801.sfs
3_dev_801.sfs
webkitgtk3-x86_64-JL64-2.sfs
Xfce-4.12.1-1-x86_64.sfs

And two browsers at the opposite extremes (I myself use neither):
tor-browser-linux64-7.5.6_en-US_801.sfs
chromium-68.0.3440.84.sfs

df

foxpup

little first report

#43 Post by foxpup »

Hello Dry Falls
I had just installed version 801B2 yesterday. LOL
Good idea to build with slackware current. This is the second one that does that, the other one being LxPupSc from peebee. It's also the reason it got my attention.
I've read something that Patrick Volkerding is preparing slackware 15 now.

Anyway. You've made a very beautiful Spup! I have it installed on a fairly new i5 laptop next to windons10 and win10 looks very shabby :D JLH is perfect for this new laptop!
I am a bit surprised that it does not come with a big browser by default. Firefox would be my choice.

I had some trouble with wifi.
First I had to add iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode to /lib/firmware/ . I have to do that in almost all Puppies, no problem.
But then SNS and frisbee did not manage to connect. Dougal did, but on reboot connection takes about 2 minutes.
I had similar problems on this machine with earlier Puppies, but rerwin has been looking into it and recent woofCE builds give good wifi connection for me now with SNS.
I think these improvements from woofCE did not get into JLH yet?
That makes me wonder how you make this build.
Oh, and I had to think of putting up the firewall myself after setting up the wifi connection.

I also noticed that a pupsave directory is not possible.

I will be looking around in JLH to dicover what is in it and report. At first site it looks like quite a rich distro according to Puppy's standards.

Dry Falls

#44 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi foxpup, and thanks for testing. The most recent version has a bit different kernel configuration for wifi and slightly different firmwre package. There is a firmware sfs at gdrive, but I've yet to be able to upload the latest sfs which is from July 29. It includes proprietary realtek firmware from arch linux instead of the stock linux versions. iwlwifi-7265D-10.ucode is included in the build as is. Glad to hear you got wifi working.

The default frisbee is from Jemima as edited by Tazoc (along with rc.network. It's worked pretty consistently for my box (wired eth) and a borrowed laptop (wifi). You can switch to rerwin's frisbee with boot manager (uncheck Frisbee and check frisbee.sh) - rc.network should accomodate either. That package is from 2017. Running wifi, there is a wifi-keep-alive which also should be enabled (in /etc/init.d).

In theory, dhcp and wpa/ifplug should connect at startup and the default connection manager kick in if those fail. I think only fatdog has got the wpa-gui working correctly (and automatically).

But lighthouse is not a woofCE build nor a dog. It has grown steadily from the original woof (puppy 400 series, I think). PPM is a bit of a morph and I've got it to work somewhat, but I don't recommend using it. JL64 is built to accomodate slapt-get/gslapt for slackware package management and lighthouse update for sfs files.

On a side note, Stemsee's wifi-tray sfs works as-is under lighthouse and is, I think quite matured. I do recommend it.

Lighthouse has pupmode6 which is save-to-partition. I've yet to see an advantage to save-to-directory, and to change the init script to accomodate it will break certain other functions unique to lighthouse. This is not to say there is no compatibility with woofCE - I've borrowed quite a bit from them. Just be advised it's sometimes hit or miss.

I've always wanted to have a build script for lighthouse, but my skill level for such things is still in its infancy. I can say that the init script by Tazoc is 99% of the os and JL64 is still full of his scripts and modifications. They are also interconnected so express an ecology of sorts.

df

ps, The idea on browsers is that the iso has the means to download the browser of your choice. It includes midori as a light starter. I have to keep the iso as small as I can because of isp quota constraints and google intolerance of satelite connections. There is likewise no word processor program but they are available from the repo.
Attachments
Wifi-TrayNet_v4.3.sfs.gz
click to unzip Stemsee's package
(144.58 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Dry Falls

#45 Post by Dry Falls »

delta-tar.gz slackware64-current updates & bugfixes

JL64_801B3.iso2B4.tar.gz
tarbil with delta file. upgrade iso to Just-Lighthouse64-801B4. check sfs-update or gdrive repo (see opening post) for new sfs files. 84M

Dry Falls

#46 Post by Dry Falls »

Just-Lighthouse64-801B5.iso uploaded
slackware updates -see opening post or run sfs-update